Eucumbene River Fly Fishing

All,

A quick post from the Eucumbene River on Saturday.

I have been desperate for a fish. Rivers have had tremendous amount of rain and it was just not worthwhile going down.

Just last week the conditions improved but I had serious constraints with other commitments.

I did the silly thing and went down for the day.

Now when I looked at the first river it still looked high and I did not want the walk in and not be able to fish so settled for the safer option of the Eucumbene.

The river height looked lovely, clear and very fishable.

post-10909-079054300 1300744748_thumb.jpgpost-10909-028890100 1300744758_thumb.jpg

I started with a grasshopper pattern but as this was 9.00am a bit early and moved to nymph under a dry. To my surprise a scrawny brown came out and engulfed the dry.

post-10909-095634800 1300744787_thumb.jpg

Got a couple of small rainbows on the nymph then about 10.30 about time to give the hopper another go. The fish were showing interest but not taking my usual pattern. Splashy rises and bumps but no real takes.

I change to another parachute hopper a mate had tied that was a bit simpler and started getting fish. Only had 2 so one in the hat to dry and the other fishing. Problem was did not get enough time on occasions for the one in the hat to dry.

post-10909-006377600 1300744766_thumb.jpgpost-10909-091573500 1300744775_thumb.jpg

Lot’s of small fish with some good one to 3 lbs mixed in.

Interesting thing happened. Saw the fly disappear for no reason. No rise, no vortex just suddenly sank. Lifted up to cast again and had fish on. This happened about 6 times through out the day. All smallish fish. Have seen it before but about once every couple of seasons.

post-10909-091578800 1300744741_thumb.jpgpost-10909-015717600 1300744799_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the quality of the photos . I struggle to get any decent fish photos when by myself.

Tight lines,

Geoff

All,

A quick post from the Eucumbene River on Saturday.

I have been desperate for a fish. Rivers have had tremendous amount of rain and it was just not worthwhile going down.

Just last week the conditions improved but I had serious constraints with other commitments.

I did the silly thing and went down for the day.

Now when I looked at the first river it still looked high and I did not want the walk in and not be able to fish so settled for the safer option of the Eucumbene.

The river height looked lovely, clear and very fishable.

post-10909-079054300 1300744748_thumb.jpgpost-10909-028890100 1300744758_thumb.jpg

I started with a grasshopper pattern but as this was 9.00am a bit early and moved to nymph under a dry. To my surprise a scrawny brown came out and engulfed the dry.

post-10909-095634800 1300744787_thumb.jpg

hi my name is emanuel, im actually taking my son for the first time this week end to lake eucumbene for a fish we are going to camp by the lake after some nice trout , we are near buckenderra village but we will be camping by the lake , any tips ?

Got a couple of small rainbows on the nymph then about 10.30 about time to give the hopper another go. The fish were showing interest but not taking my usual pattern. Splashy rises and bumps but no real takes.

I change to another parachute hopper a mate had tied that was a bit simpler and started getting fish. Only had 2 so one in the hat to dry and the other fishing. Problem was did not get enough time on occasions for the one in the hat to dry.

post-10909-006377600 1300744766_thumb.jpgpost-10909-091573500 1300744775_thumb.jpg

Lot’s of small fish with some good one to 3 lbs mixed in.

Interesting thing happened. Saw the fly disappear for no reason. No rise, no vortex just suddenly sank. Lifted up to cast again and had fish on. This happened about 6 times through out the day. All smallish fish. Have seen it before but about once every couple of seasons.

post-10909-091578800 1300744741_thumb.jpgpost-10909-015717600 1300744799_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the quality of the photos . I struggle to get any decent fish photos when by myself.

Tight lines,

Geoff

Emanuel,

Bait fishing Buckenderra?

This time of the year Mudeyes ( Dragon Fly Larva) are probably best.

Need bubble float with Mudeye ( buy the bait from shops in area) as a running bait. i.e stopper below the float. Allow about 1M.

Find a spot with the wind behind you and reasonable depth.Cast out 20 - 30 meters and leave about 2 meteres of line slack above the bail arm.

This way the fish will hook itself.

Sit back and relax. Check the bait every 1/2 hour or so.

Good luck to you and your son,

Geoff

Good report Geoff :thumbup: How did you find the condition of the fish? Last weeks trip when I was there, all the Rainbows were positively emmaciated? Very odd for this time of year.

Cheers

Windy

Good report Geoff :thumbup: How did you find the condition of the fish? Last weeks trip when I was there, all the Rainbows were positively emmaciated? Very odd for this time of year.

Cheers

Windy

Windy,

The fish have been in great shape all season. The rainbows fight like mad and the brown are very thick and deep.

One brown was very lean and this is most unusual this season.

Regards,

Geoff

Interesting, there seems to be a lot of difference between the fish in the rivers and those in the lakes at the moment. All the Rainbows I was referring to as being emmaciated came from Frying Pan and Yens Bay, and all of them were in poor condition. This was remarked upon by quite a few fisho's I spoke to out there.

Cheers

Windy