ch7 news 21/03 - cooks river story?

the previews showed the cooks river ramp, a few of the moored boats and a trailer boat, and a couple of interviews with a few people.

i didnt get the gist of the story from the preview and missed the full story that was supposedly aired last night 21/03 on ch7 news sydney.

did anyone happen to see it?

thx.

Something about a high number of 'random rich people' coming in, and taking over the place, no one knows where they came from, they took over the Brighton-le-Sands Fishermans Club or something and raise the price on moorings and more ..

Edited by cut_loose

I've been a member of the BAFA club for 5 years & discovered early in the piece issues with management which came to a head in 2009 when an administrator was appointed due to financial difficulties mounting to around $550,000.

This was sorted out early last year & the administrator returned control to a then newly appointed board. (not the current board)

One of the things that has struck me over the years that this club , it's location & surrounding facilities is a gold mine waiting to be tapped.

In essence , it is physically a large club but the membership is small & as such drawing members with club management skills to the board was very limited.

This progressively became evident when the administrator was appointed

It appears from the TV report that some one has now realised the potential & are planning to enhance the operation , a marina was mentioned.

To gain control a new president was required . This was achieved last year when , according to the report , 350 new members joined which was sufficient to vote in the current incumbent.

Where it goes from here , who knows

In respect to raising fees , it is unlikely to generate additional revenue. They tried this several years ago by raising the ramp fees by nearly 100% , ramp fee revenue for the following 12 months decreased around 25% as members declined to pay the additional amount & moved to the free ramps or joined St George Motor Boat Club who have very reasonable ramp fees..

I understand current ramp fees at BAFA are $200 PA. Considering the free ramp a few hundred meters at Kyeemagh & a bit further on , Foreshore Drive there is no queuing or problems with parking at the club.

Geoff

thx guys.

geoff - agree with your thoughts on the potential of the location.

resistance to change seems to be a chronic disease for many such community organisations, which typically doesnt help attract new membership.

• 1 month later...

It might also have to do with the adopted plan for the areas around Muddy Creek. Looks like there will be an increased level of development through that area - the Fisho's club being ear marked for a large increase in size and potentially revenues with the Marina idea.

Here is the link.

http://www.lpma.nsw.gov.au/about_us/publications/exhibition_and_information/plans_of_management/muddy_creek_plan_of_management_approved