Freshwater Trout

troutboy

Braved the bitter cold this morning to be on the lake at Wentwotrth Falls at an insane time of 4.30 am. After navigating my way down a goat track by torchlight i arrived at a location i had not fished before and set up my baitrod with a no8 hook and some instant bait with that stimulate stuff in it, now i have used this before but had no luck at all so i was not expecting anything in a hurry and began to set up my lure rod when bang off it goes. After a short but spirited fight a rainbow of about 900 gm comes to hand. Baited up once again and left rod in holder while i threw a small rebel crawdad imitation around some weedbeds near the bank.The bait rod goes off again and another rainbow this time a little bigger has swallowed the instant bait deep down so i cut the leader as close as possible to the trouts mouth and released the fish gently. Tied on a new hook again with instant bait and set rod in the holder and went back to casting lures alongside the weeds. Bang a solid hookup on the crawdad lure and in comes a nice brown trout of about a kilo and a half,nice hookup in the corner of the jaw and an easy release. :1clap: 2 more fish (both rainbows around 800g) were caught using the instant bait before leaving for home around 8.30am.

ps After the bite slowed at around 8.00am i had plenty of bait left and because its not reuseable i broke it into small chunks and dropped pieces into the shallows where i could see the bottom and was amazed to see the same brown trout repeatedly return for every piece of instant bait i threw in, he would just hover out of sight until the splash of the bait hitting the water and then rush up to take it before it hit the bottom every time. This small fish about 700g would have eaten at least 10 to 12 pieces in the space of 5 minutes!The trout fair dinkum love the stuff! :1clap::thumbup:

Guest bluecod

Good going Troutboy :thumbup:

I'm going to have to get myself organised one day and chase some trout on the fly