Burrinjuck Dam

G'day all,

Headed out to Burrinjuck dam on the weekend with a mate and what a site it is now at 97.5% capacity as apposed to the 35-40% it has been at for the last few years

post-6111-072565600 1301975665_thumb.jpg

Got there friday afternoon and by the time we had set up everything it was too dark to think about hitting the water so needless to say we drank the night away instaed :thumbup:

The next morning we hit the water at about 7am. Straight up we caught a small redfin and I said 'here we go, another trip to burrinjuck with hoards of redfin and nothing else' .... but I spoke too soon. The water began to chop up so we headed over to Carroll's creek to get some protection. I was amazed at what I saw, the creek had gone from a narrow, shallow stream to a fully fledged river wider than the nepean where I fish for bass!

post-6111-018804200 1301975974_thumb.jpg

We had fished for around an hour with the only bite being the small redfin straight of the boat ramp when my line became snagged. I turned the yak to try to retrieve the lure and my rod started going banannas! I was thinking 'what the hell is going on here??? I soon realised that my line had become tangled around the electric trolling motor :ranting2:

post-6111-049218200 1301976124_thumb.jpg

After wasting 30-45 minutes untangling line, re-tying leaders and attaching lures, we were back out on the water but we caught nothing all morning except that lonely redfin. To say I was perplexed would be an understatement. We tried everything, trolling, flicking, jigging, big lures, small lures, bibbless lures, minnows, spinnerbaits ... nothing worked :ranting2:

We decided to head in at about 12.30pm for some lunch and a nap.

Resurfacing at about 3pm we hit the water again and tried some different tactics, mainly just hitting a different area and doing everything alot slower. I even ditched the motor for a paddle to ensure a slower troll. It payed off. Within half an hour I had hooked my first ever murray cod at 43cm. Not huge, but I was a happy man none the less

post-6111-056585300 1301976328_thumb.jpg

Within another hour we managed to land another 2 cod at 51cm and 52cm :yahoo:

post-6111-035507100 1301976389_thumb.jpg

post-6111-086809000 1301976412_thumb.jpg

I remember saying to my mate "this is outrageous!! we've caught 3 cod and a solitory redfin? what the hell is happening here?" I didn't mind that this was the case but I was so used to catching at times between 50-80 redfin and if I was lucky a yellowbelly here and there but not a cod let alone 3!!

We hit the cans VERY hard that night. We were literally very happy campers.

When the morning came around we were greeted by single digit temps which kept us in our sleeping bags until about 9am. My mate offered to pack up the camp so I could fish solo as he was too seedy to go out. I took up the offer and landed another cod at 47cm and a 38cm yellowbelly!!

post-6111-081912900 1301977245_thumb.jpg

post-6111-058934700 1301977270_thumb.jpg

post-6111-002148100 1301977296_thumb.jpg

That concluded a very strange but pleasing weekend away. Final tally 4 cod, 3 redfin and a yellowbelly.

Thanks for reading.

WELL done, great report....

NOW it’s time for you to crack the 1m mark :thumbup:

BTW do to cod that you caught around the 50cm mark, put up a reasonable fight....

NEVER target cod let alone caught one....

What gear where you using??

Good report mate, Carols Creek looks good with some water in it, my mate pulled a good Cod out of there last time we were there.

MICK lets organise a trip targeting COD.... :1fishing1:

NEVER caught one...

With you, you are my lucky charm in cracking NEW pb's :beersmile:

MICK lets organise a trip targeting COD.... :1fishing1:

NEVER caught one...

With you, you are my lucky charm in cracking NEW pb's :beersmile:

Knowing your luck you'll crack the 1300 mark :) I'll be in touch with details of a trip.

Mick

WELL done, great report....

NOW it’s time for you to crack the 1m mark :thumbup:

BTW do to cod that you caught around the 50cm mark, put up a reasonable fight....

NEVER target cod let alone caught one....

What gear where you using??

Suprisingly only 1 of the cod really fought at all? Its like they didn't even know they were hooked .... until they saw me that is :1yikes:

The 2nd one we caught at 51cm took a halco crazy deep 8m diver and screamed off into the snags then sulked on the bottom. It required a couple of turns of the drag and a bit of muscle to get him up into the net.

I rigged up using a medium action (4-8kg) hemmingway whipstick (i like the short rods in the kayak)with a 2500 diawa reel loaded with 30lb braid line and 20lb leader. Seemed to handle everything ok but it's untested against a real monster