Have you got a good Kingfish recipe?

james7

Having finally managed to catch a decent kingfish, (click here to see the report) I was hoping some of you may have some good recipies for kingfish.

We seasoned a few fillets and cooked them on the BBQ and they were great.

As it is unlikely I'll be eating kingfish again for a while, I'd like to try a few different methods. Have you got any suggestions?

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Cutting the kingfish into cutlets and then either bbq or steam them in the microwave.

Another way is to gut the fish and fill its cavity with herbs (garlic,tomatoes,capers,olives,parsly, mint,salt and pepper).

Wrap the fish in foil sprinkle with lemon juice before sealing and then bake in the oven, make sure that the fish does not dry out.

Keep checking the fish parcel till it is cooked thru - the flesh should peel off the backbone.

Then serve with fresh salad or cooked veges. :thumbup:

Twin 1

Good way to do it !!!

Get yourself some fresh banana leaves, you can get them from most asian/island food markets !

Place a nice cutlet or even whole gutted fish in the banana leaves. Fill the cavaty or just place ontop of the fish piece:

Onion Slices

Chilli slices

few lemon slices

Salt and Pepper

Once this is done basically ull have a piece of fish or a whole fish covered in all the tasty stuff and sitting on a piece of banana leaf ! Now you get yourself some mild curry paste and mix that thoroughly with coconut milk so you get a sauce. Dont want it too thick, want it so it coats the fish and keeps it moist while you bake it. Also you dont have to add curry paste you can always just use the coconut cream. Anyways you now cover your fish and all the filling with the coconut cream mixture. Dont pour too much on otherwise when you wrap it and cook it, it will burst and leak and wont be as good !

So now what you do is season the coconut milk again while its on the fish, wont taste good if you dont season it. So some more salt and pepper on the coconut milk is good ! Now you get yourself some cooking string and wrap your fish up in the leaf. Once you have done this once grab another leaf and place your single layered parcel ontop the next leaf. Cover the parcel in a bit more coconut cream mixture, season again and then wrap it up again. So now you should have a parcel that has 2 layers of banana leaf with coconut cream mix. Sweet Az !!

Now basically to cook, wet the banana leaves and place into an oven or onto a BBQ or webber. Straight out just a big fire and chuck it in !

Once you make the parcel its simple to cook it, basically everything you need is already made in the parcel, so you can experiment in heapz of different ways i guess. Slow bake in the oven, sit it on hot coals more smokey flavour, webber will be like smoking it and baking it , the basics of what you need to do are above, the cooking is all up to how you feel like you wanna make it.

Making this a very versatile method of cooking fish and also a very delicious method.

You can use this to make a variety of fish not just kings. So have a go raiders, experiment use different toppings but the basic principals of the banana leaf is just awesome.

Hoped this helped,

Jez

Edited by Mr.KingSpooled

• 3 weeks later...

OK this is going to sound a little out there but trust me I make every Xmas,its a huge hit. Take 2 fillets of a Kingfish of about 3-4 kg.Wash remove pin bones,pat dry lay flat.

Mix 500gms of sugar with 400 grams rocksalt + 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper. Rub/pat this mixture over flesh side of fillets,cover it well,Ive never used the whole mix,dont worry if you have leftover as long as fish is covered. THEN cover fillets with chopped fresh dill ,stalks & all. roughly chopped ,about 2 bunches,give or take. Then sprinkle with plain or lemon flavoured vodka.I SAID SPRINKLE!! Put 2 fillets flesh to flesh,wrap in cling film then al foil. Lay in tray,place flat board or similiar on top then heavy weights,I use left over fire bricks from wood fired oven project,or now neglected discs from barbells. Put in fridge,turn & drain after 12 hours,repeat for at least 2 days. When fish is opaque wash gently,pat dry. Cut as you would smoked salmon. Usually eaten with rye bread,capers,red onion & a mustard vinegret (olive oil,white wine vinegar,pinch white sugar,good german mustard). Its called gravlax its Swedish. Normally made with Tassie salmon/ocean trout obviously bought I started using Kingfish to give a contrast of red & white,never looked back. It only works with oily fish & fillets that arent to thick. It will keep a week in fridge

Peter,

Cutting the kingfish into cutlets and then either bbq or steam them in the microwave.

Another way is to gut the fish and fill its cavity with herbs (garlic,tomatoes,capers,olives,parsly, mint,salt and pepper).

Wrap the fish in foil sprinkle with lemon juice before sealing and then bake in the oven, make sure that the fish does not dry out.

Keep checking the fish parcel till it is cooked thru - the flesh should peel off the backbone.

Then serve with fresh salad or cooked veges. :thumbup:

Twin 1

I would have to agree with the cutlets on the bbq sensational

sweet chilly sauce in the fry pan pete just do'nt burn the sauce when the fish is cooked remove then put a small amount off water in the frypan and make a sauce with the bits that are stuck to the pan serve on a bed off rice

cheers mate and congats on the catch off the month win well diserved cheers gary

sweet chilly sauce in the fry pan pete just do'nt burn the sauce when the fish is cooked remove then put a small amount off water in the frypan and make a sauce with the bits that are stuck to the pan serve on a bed off rice

cheers mate and congats on the catch off the month win well diserved cheers gary

That does sound really good. I will give that one ago myself

sweet chilly sauce in the fry pan pete just don't burn the sauce when the fish is cooked remove then put a small amount off water in the frypan and make a sauce with the bits that are stuck to the pan serve on a bed off rice

I appreciate that Gary. It was certainly a thrill to win Catch of the Month. I'm going to give your sweet chilli a go too. Sounds good.

Thanks for the other recipies guys. There are a few interesting ones there. :thumbup:

Hodgey asked me about whether kingies frozen tasted okay. I tried cooking some of the fillets I froze and they were very nice. I marinated them in some teriyaki for a while, then into the frypan. I also asked Syd who cooked a few of his fillets that he froze and he said they were just as nice as the fresh ones. He cooked his on the BBQ and had them with a squeeze of lemon.

Cheers

Peter