Sign in to follow this  
rockfisherman

5 steps to Loss Prevention

I'v taken steps to secure my boat as best I can, those steps are as follows:

* A padlock through the tow ball latch on the trailer: The largest possible padlock I could possibly fit through the hole, I purchased, that was $20

* A wheel clamp which covers the wheel nuts: I could have opted fot the cheaper one thats priced around the $80 mark, but instead I went for the $200 model which covers the wheel nuts.

* High tensile steel chain and padlocks: padlocked to the tab on the motor, which runs through the rail on the boat and down to the trailer where it is secured by another padlock, those items where about $160

* Taking the time to use the equipment: It'll take a maximum of 10 minutes to put these things on ( and that includes giving the padlocks a squirt of WD-40 ) So dont be lazy!!

* Last but not least.....Insurance!!! depending on the size of your boat would range between $250 - $500

All up thats $880 (thats using $500 insurance example), so it might not even cost you that much to save you the heart ache of walking out to go to work in the morning and realising your boats missing...

I hope iv inspired you to engage in taking these basic steps if you havnt already...

Cheers!

Sounds like you have covered all bases,

I use a lock wood high tensile chain with the plastic sleeve, I feed it through the Leaf spring and through the rim and lock to a Dyna bolted latch mounted to the concrete that way if the latch gives way the trailer will just skid.

We all know that if they want it they will get it but hopefully we can slow them down enough and make enough noise, I never really thought of securing the motor definitely worth looking at.

Great Information hopefully this helps prevent theft,

Regards,

Nathan

Hey did you find it hard to get insurance for your boat? My boat is ~15 years old and its worth only about $7K but i figured if it got stolen i will have no way of replacing it. So i have been to numerous insurance companies and they either wont insure it because of its age, or they require a survey of the boat done. Is there an easy way to get insurance?

Tumra, my boat is more than 15 years old and have no problems getting insurance. The only problem I have encountered is if I want it insuranced for agreed value I need to get it valuated and, from what I have learnt, a lot of boat dealers can do this.

My boat is pretty close to new, and it cost me about $250 to insure through NRMA...

So I imagine that an older boat would need some thing to certify the insurance company of it's value...

The only thing you need to make sure to take note of is the allocation of the insured funds ie when they sent out my paper work they had wrong values allocated on the trailer boat and motor... So keep an eye on that.

I just thought I'd share my security precautions.

I have this:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Trailer-Coupling-Lock-Includes-40mm-Padlock.aspx?pid=215553#Description

which fits very snug. it's a very good invention as you cannot use bolt cutters to cut the padlock as it protected by the thick brass - I.e. if you swing the padlock out, only the brass part of the padlock is exposed.

I also have:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ark-Hitch-Pin-Lock-Dual-Purpose.aspx?pid=121804#Description

I also had a smaller padlock on the coupling lever of the trailer.

Also the chain from the trailer to my car, with the D lock, I secure that really hard with pilers and leave the pilers in my boot.

I do park my boat inside the house(I have a drive through carport), just more paranoid that when on a day out, coming back to the boat ramp to find my trailer missing would be my worst nightmare! I would have no idea what to do in that situation...

coming back to the boat ramp to find my trailer missing would be my worst nightmare! I would have no idea what to do in that situation...

Unless you know someone with a spare trailer lying around , arrange a flat top tow truck , on of those with the sloping pick up tray.

Check with insurance company , they should cover the cost.

If they don't ,then unfortunatly the pickup & transport charges would be at your cost.

Geoff

ouchy that would be kinda painful to watch the truck drag my boat on the cement and take it off later - I'm not sure if my outboard folds up that high as well.

However it's definitely better than nothing - cheers for the heads up Geoff =)

Has anyone got a GPS/GPRS Tracker on their boat? its an awesome anti theft device.

Hey did you find it hard to get insurance for your boat? My boat is ~15 years old and its worth only about $7K but i figured if it got stolen i will have no way of replacing it. So i have been to numerous insurance companies and they either wont insure it because of its age, or they require a survey of the boat done. Is there an easy way to get insurance?

Hi Tumra,

My hull is around 28 years old, when i purchased it off my Step Mother i went to change the details on the insurance with Club Marine and they had all sorts of hoops for me to jump through. In the end i went to NRMA and was able to get it all sorted over the phone with no stuffing abouts with valuations, inspections and the like. Not sure what limits they have to it but deffinitely worth giving them a buzz if others are making it tricky.

Richard