Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

Today my friend Flycaster and I made a trip up to the Blue Mountains to fish Thompson Creek dam.

I arrived first and tried my luck with the pink Tassie devil (thanks Stewy for the tip and the great report last week). After about an hour and only one decent strike (but no hook up), I was joined by Flycaster. I changed over to a metal spoon and after a few casts I was on.

The first fish of the day was a little rainbow. After a quick photo it was released.

post-13314-090264300 1303474307_thumb.jpg

Flycaster and I decided to change locations moving to the western end of the dam. I changed tactics, putting away the spinning outfit and going for the fly gear. After about 5 minutes, I heard a cry in the background “FISH ON”. The result was this lovely rainbow.

post-13314-012901000 1303474299_thumb.jpg

It didn’t take long and Flycaster was onto another good fish.

post-13314-092759900 1303474280_thumb.jpg

Flycaster was on a roll and the fish seem to be searching out his fly or congregating at his spot. I decided to inch my way closer to him and we were now fishing shoulder to shoulder. Flycaster was getting all the attention today with fish even striking at his indicator. I decided to tie on a dry fly and something monstered it. I felt the weight of the fish for a split second and it was gone, busting the fly off.

As I rigged up, I looked over to Flycaster to see him again hooked up, but this time to something much larger. The fish was unstoppable, taking him around a tree and towards the weeds. Flycaster tried to muscle him out but with a surge, busted him off.

post-13314-042769700 1303474271_thumb.jpg

After much persistence, I scored my second fish (only a little guy).

post-13314-077161200 1303474256_thumb.jpg

My next cast produced a better fish. This fish put on a great fight, taking off every time it saw the net.

post-13314-000323700 1303474245_thumb.jpg

Flycaster with another fish

post-13314-026598100 1303474236_thumb.jpg

Another little guy caught by yours truly.

post-13314-064552900 1303474228_thumb.jpg

Between us we picked up 8 fish (4 each), although Flycaster was on fire with 3 good fish and 1 that got away.

Caddis

Hi Raiders,

Today my friend Flycaster and I made a trip up to the Blue Mountains to fish Thompson Creek dam.

I arrived first and tried my luck with the pink Tassie devil (thanks Stewy for the tip and the great report last week). After about an hour and only one decent strike (but no hook up), I was joined by Flycaster. I changed over to a metal spoon and after a few casts I was on.

The first fish of the day was a little rainbow. After a quick photo it was released.

post-13314-090264300 1303474307_thumb.jpg

Flycaster and I decided to change locations moving to the western end of the dam. I changed tactics, putting away the spinning outfit and going for the fly gear. After about 5 minutes, I heard a cry in the background “FISH ON”. The result was this lovely rainbow.

post-13314-012901000 1303474299_thumb.jpg

It didn’t take long and Flycaster was onto another good fish.

post-13314-092759900 1303474280_thumb.jpg

Flycaster was on a roll and the fish seem to be searching out his fly or congregating at his spot. I decided to inch my way closer to him and we were now fishing shoulder to shoulder. Flycaster was getting all the attention today with fish even striking at his indicator. I decided to tie on a dry fly and something monstered it. I felt the weight of the fish for a split second and it was gone, busting the fly off.

As I rigged up, I looked over to Flycaster to see him again hooked up, but this time to something much larger. The fish was unstoppable, taking him around a tree and towards the weeds. Flycaster tried to muscle him out but with a surge, busted him off.

post-13314-042769700 1303474271_thumb.jpg

After much persistence, I scored my second fish (only a little guy).

post-13314-077161200 1303474256_thumb.jpg

My next cast produced a better fish. This fish put on a great fight, taking off every time it saw the net.

post-13314-000323700 1303474245_thumb.jpg

Flycaster with another fish

post-13314-026598100 1303474236_thumb.jpg

Another little guy caught by yours truly.

post-13314-064552900 1303474228_thumb.jpg

Between us we picked up 8 fish (4 each), although Flycaster was on fire with 3 good fish and 1 that got away.

Caddis

4lb Chris :1yikes: I have been bitten off on 12lb fluro up there hmmmmmm I dont know if I would feel comfortable handling big trout on the flyrod with 4lb :wacko:

Do you have any pics of the types of flys used ?? I have some woolley buggers and some small nymphs in brown and green.

P.S what type of retrieve works best,I normally use slow jabs of around 6 to 8 inchs or the figure eight.

Cheers Stewy

Hi Stewy

We fish the nymphs dead drift under a floating yarn indicator. A bit like fishing for luderick as Caddis and I are both luderick fishermen also. We usually set the depth at about a meter and I use six to eight pound fluorocarbon tippet. Caddis likes living dangerously and uses four pound.

Cheers

Flycaster

Hey thanks heaps guys,thats a real eye opener.

I have a few of these :biggrin2:

post-256-003380700 1303539345_thumb.jpg

Would they be suitable ?? and where do you get the indicators from.

Now I know what a newbee feels like :074:

Cheers Stewy

Hey Stewy,

I did PM you. I've made a few flies up this morning with your name on them.

I'm sure you'd do ok with your fly selection.

I have some bright coloured yarn which I use as an indicator. You can pick up at any fly tackle shop. If the weather is calm, I would use a dry fly (like a stimulator) as an indicator.

Hope that helps.

Regards Chris

Hi guys,

Great info and good to see the fish moving around the edges. Those bigger fish seem in good condition. To add some more I have had great success at TCD using the same method with a size 12 caddis bead head nymph in green. Looks like the water levels up a bit. What is the water clarity like at the moment ? Did you sight fish many ?

On Strike

Paul

Hi guys,

Great info and good to see the fish moving around the edges. Those bigger fish seem in good condition. To add some more I have had great success at TCD using the same method with a size 12 caddis bead head nymph in green. Looks like the water levels up a bit. What is the water clarity like at the moment ? Did you sight fish many ?

On Strike

Paul

Hi Paul,

The water clarity is very ordinary. I personally was unable to spot any fish. I know there are larger fish lurking around. How big are the fish you are picking up?

Regards Chris

Hi Paul,

The water clarity is very ordinary. I personally was unable to spot any fish. I know there are larger fish lurking around. How big are the fish you are picking up?

Regards Chris

Hi Chris,

The fish we got were rainbows the size of your bigger ones and two browns up to 4.5lb. This is going back to Oct last year. We generally fish the shallow section at the opposite end of the wall to that you were fishing. Sometimes you can make the fish out but the water clarity is limited at best. Also see some up towards the old quarry. The water is clearer there, probably due to the rocky shoreline rather than clay. Making a trip up in the next week or so.

Paul