Help! how do i register a unregistered boat and trailer

SNAP-ER

Hi Raiders im looking at buying a second hand boat and trailer which are both unregistered what steps do i take to get them registered thanks

hi mate you need to take the trailer any where they do blue slips if its been out of rego for more than 3 months

its real easy and wont take long at all

the boat just take down to your local boat shop and theyll point you in the right direction

from memory the maritime has a list on all of them in nsw

cheers

Hey mate i recently went through all this, was abit of a pain but worth it in the end.

Before you do anything make sure you get a receipt from the owner with full details including the boats HIN number and the trailer VIN number on the receipt.

For the trailer if it has been unregistered for more then 3 months then it will need a blueslip, you can find mechanics here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?fuseaction=inspectionstation.form you need the Unregistered Light Vehicle Inspections. Take it to them with the old rego papers and they should be able to provide you with a blueslip which you can take to the RTA to register the trailer. Just make sure your wheel bearings, whinch, tyres, etc are all good before going.

For the boat you need a receipt with:

* Full name and signature of the seller

* Full name and address of the buyer

* Date of sale and the words ‘received payment in full’ or similar

* HIN/Boatcode number (if applicable) and a full description of the vessel

Take that to a boat code agent with your boat and get a hull ID certificate which you take to maritime with your receipt.

Hope it helps mate, can be a pain but just make sure you get a proper receipt from the seller.

Guest Aussie007

ive been down this road many times the first thing u need to do is go inspect the boat and trailer for your self in person with a pen and paper find the trailers VIN (serial number) it will be somewhere around the front of the trailer anywhere to just behind the winch post if the winch post is a bolt on the serial number should not be stamped on this if it is walk away if u cant find the trailers serial number and the trailer doesnt look like its brand new or just built walk away if u can find the trailer serial number and boat serial number write them both down along with any old rego number plate and boat rego sticker numbers with boats name or company it was made by and trailers company name if available this will help verify the boat and trailer go home and call REVS first thing than maritime and call the RTA with the numbers on hand explain you just want to do a check to make sure either the trailer or boat isnt currently registered because if it is registered and the regos arnt in the guys name who is selling it to you you will never get it registered in your name its pretty much theft and fraud all though u will have a receipt to cover your ass you will loose your money when everything checks out make the purchase if your happy ive been burnt and ive even been accused by a RTA staff member of fraudulently writing out a receipt for sale (seriously) ove a registered jetski trailer the seller told me was unrego'ed good luck with it

Edited by gazza

Thanks raiders for all your help

actually even if the trailer doesnt have a vin number its really easy to get one well actually you do nothing the mechanics apply to the rta and get one but the only thing on your rego papers it will just say homemade ( if that bothers you) i didnt mind

and the boat i went down to penrith marine no HIN no receit no nuffn

and i had to sign a stat dec and just go to the post office and get a justice of the peace to sign it

then all was done for me new hin new rego and

and all done just took a day of running around

and from memory onlycost a couple of hundred bucks

really its not hard at all

also got plenty of box trailers blue slipped with no vin numbers to

just got to apply for new ones

hope this helps

Edited by fishon

You need to take boat off trailer and get a weighbridge ticket if its been out of rego for longer than 3 months.

definately thats the first step

i was lucky the mechanics i go are just up from the local tip and they got the weighbridge ticket for me

not sure where your from mate but if you live close to blaxland go to action automotive top people in there mate and will get you sorted

definately thats the first step

i was lucky the mechanics i go are just up from the local tip and they got the weighbridge ticket for me

not sure where your from mate but if you live close to blaxland go to action automotive top people in there mate and will get you sorted

Good to hear mate, but Im three hours north of Sydney, but glad you have all sorted.