2 stroke oil in diesel

BWV

Last night I had a phone call of a mate of mine telling me that he is running 2 stroke oil (200:1 mix ratio) in his diesel Nissan patrol 3.0L TD. He reckons it protects the injector pump by lubricating it because the new diesel is crap with the low sulphur content and has very low lubrication properties now. Which isnt far off the money anymore, especially with the crap Singapore diesel we get in Australia.

He has been running it for a few tanks now and swears by it. It makes the car quieter, slightly better consumption and better acceleration though the middle and top of the rev range with less smoke from the engine.

Has anyone here come across of this or doing it with their diesel engine? If so what do you think? Just want some more feed back before I pour some in my my truck (80 series 4.2D 1HZ).

Edited by Whaler 255

I would be very careful with using anything extra in a late model diesel ith common rail fuel systems, doesnt take much to stuff them up, and very costly! there is no reason to do it, the diesel still meets all requirements and there is another million diesels on Australian roads without a problem!

No, it doesn’t block the injectors as its just oil in oil at the end of the day and it all compounds together and once 2 stroke compounds with diesel it can not be seperated. Some synthetic oils did separate so those would not be any good.

It got me thinking last night so I googled it and found truck loads of info on the subject. Arguments for and against but a lot for it. Apparently there has been a massive study done on it by the European car manufacturers and some american companies too because heaps of injector pumps where failing well within the warranty period and it was put down to the new diesel fuel having very little lubrication properties. So they tested a very large amount of diesel additives, numerous types of oils, and different types of diesel. It turns out that a lot of the diesel additives do not work in fact they make the situation worse, but non or semi synthetic 2 stroke oil was a very good performer considering it is cheaper than the other additives.

All these tests were done on the new common rail diesel engines becuase of the warranty issues.

All though if your engine is still under warranty I would steer clear of it, because they do not need much of an excuse to wipe you. If you want to run the gauntlet don’t use 2 stroke marine oil as it has a die in it.

This is just a few of the things I found last night:

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

"Important News on the 2-Stroke Oil to diesel theme:

The International Automobile Association has issued an official statement in the Worldwide Fuel Charter in which they demand to increase the lubrication capabilities of today’s diesel fuel from at present HFRR 460 um, or higher, to min. HFRR 400 um, or lesser. The reason is the increasingly reported break down of the high pressure diesel injection pumps worldwide, and the unwillingness of the manufacturers to deal with the vast amount of warranty claims.

The Worldwide Fuel Charter has confirmed that the commercial diesel fuel even with the addition of the recommended doses of 2-T oil STILL conforms to the DIN standard, however with a recognisable improvements of lubricating properties.

So we will see in the future here a development in diesel fuel qualities.

YF" Dated 10 march 2009

I work for a company with a huge amount of trucks and they all run on pump diesel fuel with no problems at all there has been a pump or two go over the years but like anything else that works hard all day its going to need maintenance or replaceing from time to time as for putting oil in fuel who knows might help or could be a waste of money.

I work for a company with a huge amount of trucks and they all run on pump diesel fuel with no problems at all there has been a pump or two go over the years but like anything else that works hard all day its going to need maintenance or replaceing from time to time as for putting oil in fuel who knows might help or could be a waste of money.

Yep thumbs up! I used to work for Mack trucks and now for a fuso dealer, no excess fule pump failures due to diesel quality.!

Yep thumbs up! I used to work for Mack trucks and now for a fuso dealer, no excess fule pump failures due to diesel quality.!

I work for a large oil company and speaking to my bosses, they have informed me that the new Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel is crap, with out going into the specs of it all. It has been designed to met the new European Emissions Standards by reducing the sulpher content which gives it lubrication properties. It has been reduced from above 8% to below 5-4% and now it is getting pushed to below 2% in the near future. Just wondering if this is a reason the the Austrailan Armed Forces especially the Navy wont use standard diesel? they have their own "special diesel" or is it something else entirely.

For those who are interested I have just done 1100kms with 2 sroke oil in my Landcruiser 4.2D and I got a 40km increase in range, quieter engine, smoother accelration and far less smoke. Its a go'er I reckon!

Edited by Whaler 255

For those who are interested I have just done 1100kms with 2 sroke oil in my Landcruiser 4.2D and I got a 40km increase in range, quieter engine, smoother accelration and far less smoke. Its a go'er I reckon!

What ratio, Whaler? 200 - 1?

Tuffy