Meadowbank Wharf

JimT

Meadowbank is very close to home for me, does anyone know if you can squid there?

Seeing as squid feed on small fish would it be ok to eat squid from Meadowbank or should one just use them for bait assuming there are any?

Meadowbank is very close to home for me, does anyone know if you can squid there?

Seeing as squid feed on small fish would it be ok to eat squid from Meadowbank or should one just use them for bait assuming there are any?

Hi, visit the fisheries website regarding species caught on the west side of the harbor bridge. The advice was "catch and release" only. There are articles posted on the fishraider as well. Regards

I wouldn't eat anything from Parra river :thumbdown:

Hi, visit the fisheries website regarding species caught on the west side of the harbor bridge. The advice was "catch and release" only. There are articles posted on the fishraider as well. Regards

To be fair Squid are a very short lived species so there would be very minimal build up of any chemicals in them, so they would be safe to eat in moderation (one or so every now and then). The real danger comes from species that are long lived, or live/feed in the mud and sediment in the river where all the Chemicals etc accumulate. You're not even supposed to eat much fish that are caught to the east of the Harbour Bridge either, but in all honesty how many Raiders eat fish caught in the harbour? Same with people who catch fish off the runways in Botany bay really close to the Cooks, whats to say the fish haven't moved in after being up the Cooks or Alexandra Canal?

Basically you can't be sure if the fish you caught has been living in a place you wouldn't eat it from or not since fish move around a lot to feed/breed or even depending on rainfall etc so no matter where you catch your fish if you're worried about dioxins and things in your fish then just fish catch and release and only take home the occasional fish

Here is the recommendations for what you should eat out of the harbour

</h3>

<h3>Dietary advice:

• No seafood caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch.
  • For seafood caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge generally no more than 150 grams per month should be consumed.
  • Testing of popular species has allowed for more accurate dietary advice. The table below provides advice on the maximum consumption of specific species.

Table: Recommended maximum intake based on eating a single species caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Species Number of 150 gram serves Amount per month

Prawns 4 per month 600g

Crabs 5 per month 750g

Bream 1 per month 150g

Dusky Flathead 12 per month 1800g

Fan-belly Leatherjacket 24 per month 3600g

Flounder 12 per month 1800g

Kingfish 12 per month 1800g

Luderick 12 per month 1800g

Sand Whiting 8 per month 1200g

Sea Mullet 1 every 3 months 50g

Silver Biddie 1 per month 150g

Silver Trevally 5 per month 750g

Tailor 1 per month 150g

Trumpter Whiting 12 per month 1800g

Yellowtail Scad 8 per month 1200g

Squid 4 per month 600g

The advice in the table is provided where only one species is being eaten in the month. Each guideline number of serves is therefore the recommended total intake for the month. For example eating 150 grams of Bream and 600 grams of prawns in one month would exceed the recommended intake.

Note 2.) This table will be updated if new results become available.

You can read more info here http://www.foodautho...afood/#Overview

Edited by Gremlin

I have read this as well on fisheries site but how far west of the Sydney Harbour bridge does this begin to apply too? This statement implies that fish don't move east to west or west to east of the bridge - are they like people on the northern side of the bridge and wont travel over it?? I would have thought that this statement needs to be elbarated upon regarding how far west of the bridge do the toxins rise to a level that eating fish from that area could cause health issues. Would be interested in knowing the number of people over the past 10-20yrs that have suffered ill health as a direct result of eating fish west of the bridge. I am not for one moment doubting that eating fish from deep up in the Parramatta river increases considerably the possiblity of consuming fish that may have toxins present and could adversely affect our health but would like to have more information on various areas west of the bridge - eg is Ball's Head ok, Greenwich - what about further up -Drummoyne etc.

We now have new residential developments along the foreshores further up the river systems and I think it would be prudent if various areas were tested so that people were more informed that just saying west of the harbour bridge. I dont know if I would be eating fish caught from Meadowbank Wharf as I would suspect that the toxin leves could be high - but we need fisheries to test fish from these areas and give us informed feedback.

Cheers

Thats an excelllent idea you suggested. Maybe our moderators can contact the fisheries about it. My advice is not to eat anything you catch in our river system (sydney) As people said before "prevention is better than a cure".

We now have new residential developments along the foreshores further up the river systems and I think it would be prudent if various areas were tested so that people were more informed that just saying west of the harbour bridge. I dont know if I would be eating fish caught from Meadowbank Wharf as I would suspect that the toxin leves could be high - but we need fisheries to test fish from these areas and give us informed feedback.

Cheers

Those kinds of tests have already been done and were what the Sydney Harbour commercial fishing closure was based on. Bream were one particularly bad species, no fish tested (caught from anywhere in the harbour) had dioxin levels low enough to go under the safe dioxin level. Check out the bream from homebush bay, the dioxin levels are through the roof.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/keeping-food-safe/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood/#Test-results-for-Sydney-Harbour-/-Parramatta-River-seafood

And some info about what dioxins can do to you (it's been politicised but the health info is there).

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/water-issues/weve-been-abandoned-say-harbour-fishermen-20101031-178ya.html

Edited by SAfisho