Oil Wharf at kurnell (Help needed)

michaelchen

Hey fellow raiders, I am very interested in fishing around the oil wharf at kurnell, because i heard it is a very good fishing spot. I was wondering, are we allowed to fish near or next to the oil wharf on a boat? the reason i ask is i am hoping to catch some yellowtail/squid/garfish for bait near the wharf. If we are not allowed to fish near the wharf, how far away do we need to be? and where do everyone collect their live bait when they fish at botany bay?

Thanks for the help guys

mate i had the same problem/question when i started to fish near there. One day i was drifting closer and closer until a couple of blokes in a big yellow boat turned up and told me to move away until i reckon i was about 70 metres away. im not sure of the exact distance but you arent allowed to get real close. it doesnt matter as there are weed beds all around it anyway.... Maybe someone else could give you the exact distance...

Sam.

Hey fellow raiders, I am very interested in fishing around the oil wharf at kurnell, because i heard it is a very good fishing spot. I was wondering, are we allowed to fish near or next to the oil wharf on a boat? the reason i ask is i am hoping to catch some yellowtail/squid/garfish for bait near the wharf. If we are not allowed to fish near the wharf, how far away do we need to be? and where do everyone collect their live bait when they fish at botany bay?

Thanks for the help guys

Pretty sure it has a big sign 1/2 way down saying 100m.

Not sure how they measure it though. Don't know whether I would want to be much closer when they test their water cannon for fire fighting.

I Have seen them doing so and you would get wet!

You can get yakers etc all around there just have to find them on the sounder and burley them up. Or just move around and try a few different spots along the wharf.

Edited by aquaman

Its a 100m lol. I know cause ive read the sign up close, actually fished underneathe the place land based once. After we packed up to leave we notice the sign saying to be 100m away from it. It was funny though cause there was camera's where we were and no one actually came out and said anything about us fishing there and to move, but the sign reads 100m so I dont suggest it.

Theres good size bream and kings around there i heard.

yep 100m(but you can usually get a little closer if your sensible about it and dont get too close), dont need to though i've caught a few kingys bout 100m out with unweighted baits, im thinking cruising a downrigger closeby would be deadly for any predator in hiding!

I've heard you can gather bait on the captain cook side of the wharf near the moorings, never tried i always get my livies near the tugboats 2 minutes away all you need is some berley and a sabiki jig.