The best plate alloy boat

PRED-ATOR

Hey Riaders,

Wanted some educated opinions on what you believe is the best offshore fishing boat in the plate alloy range

Im after:

-Brand

-Features

-Stability

-Strength

-Versatility

- MUST be trailer boat

Dont worry about the cost, i just want to know what you think the best is regardless. I have had my eye on BARCRUSHER 780HT for a while now, but theres so many different great boats out there!

Thanks in advance Raiders,

Cheers, Predator

Gday predator check out Lazer Craft. I owned a 560 for about 7 years which I used as an abalone boat and also for fishing. They are built like a tank,the welding is perfect and they ride better than most other plate vessels. Trim tabs would make a major difference to any deep vee plate boat as they must ride level for a smooth ride. In having said that, I prefer my 19R Haines Hunter to any plate boat for perfect handling in any weather.

Hi, my vote goes to Aqualine boats from NZ (they are called KiwiKraft over there) and it is a shame to say it but the Kiwis, in terms of plate alloy boats, make most of our own companies look second rate. I have driven most of the main brands and trust me there is not a softer riding, more stable or safer alloy plate boat than Aqualine and that is why I choose to stock and sell them. Yes there are other brands that are good too but I have not come across one that is superior to Aqualine and the build quality has to be seen to be appreciated. Only down side is they cost more than local built plate boats but as the syaing goes you get what you pay for. If YOU have your heart set on a BC, do yourself a favour and also check out the original and the one that BC copied being Surtees-they approached us to stock and sell their boats and they are fine boats, but still the stabiliy, ride and all out performance of a pontoon plate boat can not be matched by a traditional mono hull even with the "tricks" these companies have.

Cheers,

Huey.

Gday predator check out Lazer Craft. I owned a 560 for about 7 years which I used as an abalone boat and also for fishing. They are built like a tank,the welding is perfect and they ride better than most other plate vessels. Trim tabs would make a major difference to any deep vee plate boat as they must ride level for a smooth ride. In having said that, I prefer my 19R Haines Hunter to any plate boat for perfect handling in any weather.

Just had a look at the lazercraft...ITS A BEAST : ) : )

I fish with a mate who has a 6.4m Fisher centre console. Awesome ride and exceptionally practical layout for fishing.

Check their site out.

Also the big nobles are still a great ride and the chinese workmanship is getting better.

Cheers

Marlin01

G'day predator,

I've had a 560C Barcrusher for about 3 years now and I love it. Every time I go out the smile just gets bigger. Good luck with your search...

Dave

Thanks for the Info Dave,

How are the offshore capabilities of it? and is it as stable as barcrusher claim?

Also have you heard anything about the 780HT?

Thanks, Stan

Hi Stan,

I take mine out to the shelf off Batemans Bay on a regular basis and been in some ordinary weather. At no time have I felt concerned with it's handling or ability in any reasonable conditions considering it's size. I've had plenty of blokes out in in, who have fished in all types of boats and they all comment on it's ride and sea ability. I regularily bottom bash and I think it's a very stable platform and better than many others I've been in. As for the bigger Barcrusher's I can't comment. But I'm sure their ride, build quality and fishability will only continue throughout their range. Get out in all types and brands of boats your interested in and make up your own mind. But for mine, I'm extremely happy with what I bought. Good luck with your search....

Dave

G'day Pred,

I'd pop in a vote for a Bar Crusher. I've now fished a number of times with Browndog in his cuddy cabin model (it's the 640 I think) and it's a weapon. It rides really smoothly, is incredibly stable at rest, is awesomely fitted out for serious fishing, and handles nasty bar crossings with ease. The only negative is that it could do with a set of clears.

We fish the reefs well wide of the Tweed in it and it inspired a lot of confidence and is magic to fish from.

I've already dropped many hints :wife: about how good it would be if we had one ourselves. No luck yet but I'm working on it.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Dave and slinky for your input.

Just a couple more questions, how is the bunks in the barcrusher? are they roomy and comfy? i dont think pics do it justice.

Also i hear alot about wave slicer and rigideck and all these trademarks for the barcrusher, do they make any difference in comparison to other plate boats?

And what engine would you recommend - This is, if you had no budget and spend whatever

Thanks again Lads,

Cheers, Stan

Thanks Dave and slinky for your input.

Just a couple more questions, how is the bunks in the barcrusher? are they roomy and comfy? i dont think pics do it justice.

Also i hear alot about wave slicer and rigideck and all these trademarks for the barcrusher, do they make any difference in comparison to other plate boats?

And what engine would you recommend - This is, if you had no budget and spend whatever

Thanks again Lads,

Cheers, Stan

I can't comment on the bunks... haven't slept on-board. As for the trademarks, forget the fancy names... but the features themselves seem great. The hull is the softest riding plate hull I've been in. The sharp V doesn't compromise stability at rest though, because of the hollow tunnel underneath that allows for the entry of water as ballast at rest. It also tracks really well with the waves from behind.

The hull is very stiff and solid too but I couldn't really tell you how much different it is from other brands.

Cheers, Slinky

I can't comment on the bunks... haven't slept on-board. As for the trademarks, forget the fancy names... but the features themselves seem great. The hull is the softest riding plate hull I've been in. The sharp V doesn't compromise stability at rest though, because of the hollow tunnel underneath that allows for the entry of water as ballast at rest. It also tracks really well with the waves from behind.

The hull is very stiff and solid too but I couldn't really tell you how much different it is from other brands.

Cheers, Slinky

Mate,

Awesome response, yeah i have been doing a bit of research on the water ballast technology. Sounds like an awesome idea, but i thought that it would make the boat sit to low in the water at rest allowing larger waves to come in?

Also (which will answer my above concern) do you know if they have a self draining deck? couldnt see that as a feature on boatsales or barcrusher website.

I also looked at a model which was called the twin rig. What is a twin rig?

And finally what engine would you have on the back.

Sorry for the 21 questions mate,

Thanks again Stan

Also (which will answer my above concern) do you know if they have a self draining deck? couldnt see that as a feature on boatsales or barcrusher website.

I also looked at a model which was called the twin rig. What is a twin rig?

Hi Mate, I was looking at these earlier in the year and the bigger models do come with a self draining deck.

I am also pretty sure that "twin rig" means it has twin (two) engines.

If budget was no issue, I'd be going with the twin engines.

Cheers

Hi Mate, I was looking at these earlier in the year and the bigger models do come with a self draining deck.

I am also pretty sure that "twin rig" means it has twin (two) engines.

If budget was no issue, I'd be going with the twin engines.

Cheers

Thanks mate.

I have driven in a boat with 2 engines and i didnt really seem to notice a difference? wouldnt you rather one engine with the same HP as the 2 combined?

Im no expert on boat engines so any input would be awesome.

Cheers, Stan

I have driven in a boat with 2 engines and i didnt really seem to notice a difference? wouldnt you rather one engine with the same HP as the 2 combined?

Im no expert on boat engines so any input would be awesome.

The biggest plus I can see for having 2 engines (and the reason I would prefer twin engines) is if one conks out, there is another one (hopefully) still running to get you home...unless it is a fuel issue as I guess they would both share the same fuel pick-up. You do have to consider the extra cost on servicing 2 engines etc.

Cheers

Hi Stan,

I don't believe the ballast system has any effect on the amount of free board and as such I don't have any fears of the boat sitting too low in the water and waves coming over. I've been in plenty of good seas and this is not an issue. The deck is not self draining in mine and I think this is the same on the bigger models. Any water that does come aboard is gotten rid of by a bilge pump. As for 1 or 2 motors, it's a personal choice. As there is a single fuel supply I think the value of 2 engines is negated. Can't comment on the bunks in the bigger models, never been in one. As for engine type, once again it's personal choice. I think all the new model, major brands are fantastic. And as for 4 stroke/e-tec who know's. All are fantastic int their own right. All the best........

Dave

Awesome guys,

thanks for the responses. I was looking at the evinrude e-tec 4 stroke 300HP. Seems like a decent engine on a 780HT.

I got a mercury 2 stroke on the back of my 5.2 metre centre console. Its a good engine but heavy on petrol, could definately benefit from a larger fuel tank.

Does anyone rate the larger model stabicrafts? they look pretty awesome

Cheers, Stan

Awesome guys,

thanks for the responses. I was looking at the evinrude e-tec 4 stroke 300HP. Seems like a decent engine on a 780HT.

I got a mercury 2 stroke on the back of my 5.2 metre centre console. Its a good engine but heavy on petrol, could definately benefit from a larger fuel tank.

Does anyone rate the larger model stabicrafts? they look pretty awesome

Cheers, Stan

E-Tec is a DFI 2 stroke engine not a 4 stroke, very good engine on par with 4 stroke for economy.

I fished in a 6.5 mt Stabi in NZ she had a F150 Yammie on the back (could do with a 200 in my opinion) but handled very well for plate boat and with 4000 hours (3.5 Years old) under her belt looked fine, no cracks , no welds ...

Hi there. I've been in both a Stabi and also in a 670C Bar Crusher. Been caught out in really bad weather in both and to be very honest, there was little in it in terms of comfort in very rough conditions. Both handled superbly. Personal preference would be the Stabi as it "felt" safer and stability at rest also felt slightly better but I think that was only my imagination.

Both fantastic boats and you cannot go wrong with either.

Buy one and enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

my opinion....

McLAY - out of Milton NZ... BRILLIANT

SURTEES - out of the NORTH ISLAND NZ... BRILLIANT

STABI - out of Invercargill NZ... Bullet proof

McLay is my personal pick... and NZ dollar is low - so an Aussie dollar buys a lot of boat

Edited by tushugars

Hey Riaders,

Wanted some educated opinions on what you believe is the best offshore fishing boat in the plate alloy range

Im after:

-Brand

-Features

-Stability

-Strength

-Versatility

- MUST be trailer boat

Dont worry about the cost, i just want to know what you think the best is regardless. I have had my eye on BARCRUSHER 780HT for a while now, but theres so many different great boats out there!

Thanks in advance Raiders,

Cheers, Predator

Ive got a Barcrusher 670HT. Great boat. I went through all the same research you did before buying. My advice is duck down to the melbourne boat show, talk to the BC guys and arrange an on water test.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for their input, i wanted to bring this topic back up after recently purchasing a boat buyers guide. It does not really give me anymore info then what i have though. I have not yet been in a plate aluminium boat as mine is pressed so im assuming i will be impressed as soon as i step in one.

Recently i have really taken a likign to the stabicraft over the barcrusher and ifish and the fishing show both use stabi's (by the way on boatsales, their stabi is up for sale!)

So Raiders, i ask, please share your experiences and any relevant info about the 2 and your preferences please : )

Thanks guys,

Stan