Something big in Brisbane Water last night

A mate and I went fishing in his boat yesterday afternoon in Brisbane Water. We launched from Pretty Beach and fished till dark for flathead around half tide rocks. We got two small flathead which both went back, two good size tailor (bait for later) and a big octopus which went back in the drink.

Once it was dark we went back to our original spot and anchored up. I filleted the two tailor from earlier and we put out our baits. I also put out a whole squid i had caught the week before. Within 2 mins of the bait being out i hooked up to a 47 cm tailor. This one went on ice for dinner. 5 mins later i hooked up to something bigger. My hopes were high but then it jumped... bloody salmon. It was around 75cm and went back to fight another day. Next cast another big salmon. Just as I released the second salmon something extremely large broke the surface about 5m away from the boat clearly chasing the tailor and salmon. By the time we scrambled to get the torch to see what it was it had gone leaving lots of white wash on the surface.

Our thoughts were that it was a decent sized shark. After that the fish went right off, not a single bite in an hour and by this stage our kids were getting bored so we called it a night. Next time i'll put the tailor back out with a couple of 10/0's in him for live bait.

Does anyone have any comments on whether our assumptions that it was a shark could have been right? Or could it have been something else?

Oh and also i didn't get a chance to post about my first jew i caught on Easter Friday. Caught him around 7pm at North Entrance beach on a live yakka. It was 78cm long and by far the most rewarding fish i have caught after putting in many hours chasing this fish over the last three months. My dad and my 7 year old son were there to share the experience with me :) My son keeps telling me its his turn to catch a jew now!!

Cheers,

Phil

Sounds like a good night out. Definitely reads like a bull shark story but in the back of your mind I bet you're wondering if it was a mammoth jew. Certainly a nice part of the world to be fishing.

Cheers,

Adam.

Gday

I fished off Ettalong beach yesterday and got myself a 3-4 ft Bull shark or it could have been a bronze whaler (it had blackish tips on its side fins ) about 100m off the beach and a nice 38cm bream about 1 min proir to that

Edited by flat out

A mate and I went fishing in his boat yesterday afternoon in Brisbane Water. We launched from Pretty Beach and fished till dark for flathead around half tide rocks. We got two small flathead which both went back, two good size tailor (bait for later) and a big octopus which went back in the drink.

Once it was dark we went back to spot X and anchored up. I filleted the two tailor from earlier and we put out our baits. I also put out a whole squid i had caught the week before. Within 2 mins of the bait being out i hooked up to a 47 cm tailor. This one went on ice for dinner. 5 mins later i hooked up to something bigger. My hopes were high but then it jumped... bloody salmon. It was around 75cm and went back to fight another day. Next cast another big salmon. Just as I released the second salmon something extremely large broke the surface about 5m away from the boat clearly chasing the tailor and salmon. By the time we scrambled to get the torch to see what it was it had gone leaving lots of white wash on the surface.

Our thoughts were that it was a decent sized shark. After that the fish went right off, not a single bite in an hour and by this stage our kids were getting bored so we called it a night. Next time i'll put the tailor back out with a couple of 10/0's in him for live bait.

Does anyone have any comments on whether our assumptions that it was a shark could have been right? Or could it have been something else?

Oh and also i didn't get a chance to post about my first jew i caught on Easter Friday. Caught him around 7pm at North Entrance beach on a live yakka. It was 78cm long and by far the most rewarding fish i have caught after putting in many hours chasing this fish over the last three months. My dad and my 7 year old son were there to share the experience with me :) My son keeps telling me its his turn to catch a jew now!!

Cheers,

Phil

Evening.

We fished spot x in Brisbane water on Friday night and we also had something big bust the surface well after dark only 10mtrs or so from the boat and the only fish we got was a massive Salmon.Regards Stu.

At this time of year the salmon, tailor and ullet are everywhere! This brings the sharks in close to beaches and i would almost definitely say it was a bull shark. They are everywhere at the moment with a few whoppers around the 8 foot mark reported in the last few months!

Just stay in the boat and you should be fine. :074:

yeah a bull shark , i had the same thing happen about this time last year 1 morning fishing the vines . scared the crap out of us being only about 10 metres from the boat and it was huge ,it left a massive hole in the water and put the fishing right off the bite