Whens Hairtail season

eastwood1980

Akuna bay in the Hawkesbury is a popular land based spot for hairtail can basically fish out of your car, or you can do the hike down the Jerusalem bay track if your fit and dont mind a solid walk, but only walk it in day light hours.

I had a few tries last year with no luck (Think I may have hooked one but it was not rigged on wire (had it out for jews) whatever it was made short work of my mono)but got a few nice jews. There was talk of getting a few boats in the water one night and to keep intouch over the two-way if anyone finds them last year not sure if it happened. Seem to be the theory that once you fine them you have a good time of it but with the lack of current in the system there if your in the wrong spot it's a slow old night and bloody cold. If their are a few keen people I'm keen to head out I normally stay mobile (half an hour too an hour each spot)till boredom sets in then anchor up for the night.

I went to akuna bay to check the place out but seems to be fenced....

i heard from a friend, some people leave their rubbish behind after

fishing and the rangers got upset. So they just fenced the area off.

Thanxs to the idiots leaving their rubbish behind, funny how the bin

was like 10metres away only.

does anyone know why they sell hairtail in fish shops all year round i know trawlers nab them but where

just curious if any one know any others info

mick

what fish shop is that

never seen hairtail in fish shops before!!

Hi Eastwood,

If you go another 5 or 6 Ks along the road (Liberator General San Martin Drive) past Akuna you get to Illawong Bay where there's a large picnic area with parking and about 50 metres of concreted shoreline (looks like an old wharf) with pretty good access to the deep water. You can get get other species there too. Gets very crowded sunny weekend afternoons. If you keep going past illawong and up the hill you can turn right to cottage point which wont hold many landbased fishos without overcrowding but is another deepwater locaation.

Best of luck

Gerg.

I had a few tries last year with no luck (Think I may have hooked one but it was not rigged on wire (had it out for jews) whatever it was made short work of my mono)but got a few nice jews. There was talk of getting a few boats in the water one night and to keep intouch over the two-way if anyone finds them last year not sure if it happened. Seem to be the theory that once you fine them you have a good time of it but with the lack of current in the system there if your in the wrong spot it's a slow old night and bloody cold. If their are a few keen people I'm keen to head out I normally stay mobile (half an hour too an hour each spot)till boredom sets in then anchor up for the night.

hey im keen to head out to try catch one of thses things i was gonna start giveing them a go this weekend let me know mate.

hey im keen to head out to try catch one of thses things i was gonna start giveing them a go this weekend let me know mate.

this weekends a no go for me planning on head out on sunday at gentlemans hours but at the races on saturday so plan on spending the night in a nice warm bed :thumbup: best of luck let us know how you go

Akuna Bay Hairtail .There cant be a Hairtail Season without Hairtail :biggrin2: These fish have certainly copped a :action-smiley-073: over years gone by and its a real shame as they are great fish and pretty good on the plate too.

does anyone know why they sell hairtail in fish shops all year round i know trawlers nab them but where

just curious if any one know any others info

mick

My understanding is that most of the Hairtail in the shops are imported from Asia

Got a big one to the boat at Flint and Steel a few weeks ago when fishing for Jewies but it was just holding the live yellowtail and was not hooked.It grabbed the bait when it was being retrieved for a check up. They are quite a sight with their silver bodies and large teeth. Suspected we lost another one as well that we didn't get to see.

• 5 years later...

i was fishing at illawong point near akuna bay a few weeks back for eels and the line started to scream so i tightened the drag quickly but it started to swim around like crazy left and right and i tried my best to reel it but until IT JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER:1yikes: and the line snapped. had no idea what happened or what species it was until now, It was a hairtail. damn good one too.:closedeyes:

Waratah bay is accessible landbased, fish the area for jews a lot, its a bit of a treck but its an excellent hairtail spot.

Hairtail turn up year round but i find they really kick off late april.

Good luck out there!

11 hours ago, arthur06 said:

i was fishing at illawong point near akuna bay a few weeks back for eels and the line started to scream so i tightened the drag quickly but it started to swim around like crazy left and right and i tried my best to reel it but until IT JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER:1yikes: and the line snapped. had no idea what happened or what species it was until now, It was a hairtail. damn good one too.:closedeyes:

Highly doubt that was a hairtail , they fight like wet plastic bags!

33 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Highly doubt that was a hairtail , they fight like wet plastic bags!

Not entirely true. I watched a mate pull in a 1.8m hairy last year, and it took him 5 minutes with the drag SCREAMING on his bream gear!

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

Not entirely true. I watched a mate pull in a 1.8m hairy last year, and it took him 5 minutes with the drag SCREAMING on his bream gear!

Indeed - the feel really different when they pull because there is no tail beat or head shakes.  It is just a straight line pull.  On a 3-5kg spin rod with a 2500 reel the drag does go off.  Great fun! Can't wait for winter so I can freeze my butt off for hours for a few minutes of excitement!

Back in my ANSA days caught a few on 2kg mono (not braid), tried on 1kg but could never set the hooks- they yoyo up and down a few times and thrash around a bit beside the boat- so you are right- they fight a BIT harder than a plastic bag!