Outboard Heat Sensor Alarm

steze

Hi everyone, Im relatively still new to boating as I have owned my boat just under a year and haven't really used it much. I currently have a 2004 model 2 stroke 70hp yamaha outboard. On the last trip I took it out the overheat alarm went on straight after I launched it from the ramp. I didn't really know what was going on so I switched off the engine straight away. Switched it back on and it happened again. Off and on a few times and the noise went away. By the way this is the first time something like this has ever happened. Fished for half a day and everything was fine. Last weekend I decided to give the engine a run as I haven't started it for about one month now . Plugged the hose in etc and she started fine. But as soon as I turn the key to start the engine, the alarm went on again. I opened the Outboard cover to discover that there wasn't that much oil left. I went out and bought new oil straight away and topped it of. After this I started her again and everything was fine. My question is to everyone here who is more experienced .....is there something wrong with the overheating sensor/Alarm? Or could it be just that my oil was running low and the alarm went off to notify me.