Akuna Bay Fishing Information

Akuna Bay information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

I hope this is of use to you.

I had a run-in with Marine and security at Akuna Bay the other day, so I wrote to NPWS to get the correct information about where to fish, this is the response:

The Akuna Bay Marina and its footprint are leased by Macquarie Leisure Group from the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. The lease area covers the entire bay containing the marina, plus the car park.

As is the case with most marinas, the fish in the area are protected and no recreational fishing is permitted.

Fisheries NSW have two commercial fishing operators who have commercial licenses to fish and net in Cowan Creek, which includes the Akuna Bay Marina lease area. Following negotiations with the marina manager, they have agreed not to fish or trap in the lease area, as it is also a shipping channel, and they accept that their activities are not consistent with managing the area for boating.

Recreational fishing is permitted once you have rounded the corner away from the bay in both directions, but there is no car parking along the RTA managed road until you get to Illawong Bay to the west.

I trust that this helps you understand the restrictions regarding Akuna bay.

Chris Grudnoff

Area Manager

Northern Beaches Area

National Parks and Wildlife Service

Office of Environment and Heritage

Department of Premier and Cabinet

Ph. (02) 9451 3479

Fax. (02) 9451 7390

Email: northern.beaches@environment.nsw.gov.au

• 5 years later...

Akuna Bay information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

I hope this is of use to you.

I had a run-in with Marine and security at Akuna Bay the other day, so I wrote to NPWS to get the correct information about where to fish, this is the response:

The Akuna Bay Marina and its footprint are leased by Macquarie Leisure Group from the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. The lease area covers the entire bay containing the marina, plus the car park.

As is the case with most marinas, the fish in the area are protected and no recreational fishing is permitted.

Fisheries NSW have two commercial fishing operators who have commercial licenses to fish and net in Cowan Creek, which includes the Akuna Bay Marina lease area. Following negotiations with the marina manager, they have agreed not to fish or trap in the lease area, as it is also a shipping channel, and they accept that their activities are not consistent with managing the area for boating.

Recreational fishing is permitted once you have rounded the corner away from the bay in both directions, but there is no car parking along the RTA managed road until you get to Illawong Bay to the west.

I trust that this helps you understand the restrictions regarding Akuna bay.

Chris Grudnoff

Area Manager

Northern Beaches Area

National Parks and Wildlife Service

Office of Environment and Heritage

Department of Premier and Cabinet

Ph. (02) 9451 3479

Fax. (02) 9451 7390

Email: northern.beaches@environment.nsw.gov.au

I visited this area for the first time last week and contacted the operaters of the marina via email to see if fishing is permitted from the road opposite the marina and they said it was fine,

im going down that way tomorrow so im wondering if the info they gave me is accurate,the last thing i want is trouble when im fishing.

Edited by shaun_burkesh