Alvey reels

rockfisherman

Here I am... Again... Considering the purchase of an alvey reel...

Yes I know they're a great reel for surf a rock fishing and they cast a mile.

But I have some more questions...

How do Alvey reels go with braid ?

Is line twist a problem ?

Do you need an Alvey rod to use an Alvey reel?

Is it a pain using your finger to level wind the line on the reel if thats what is you have to do??

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any information

Here I am... Again... Considering the purchase of an alvey reel...

Yes I know they're a great reel for surf a rock fishing and they cast a mile.

But I have some more questions...

How do Alvey reels go with braid ?

Is line twist a problem ?

Do you need an Alvey rod to use an Alvey reel?

Is it a pain using your finger to level wind the line on the reel if thats what is you have to do??

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any information

no braid....mono only as you want to be guiding the line onto the spool at all times.

you don't need an alvey rod but you need a rod with a low mount. ie reel sits close to the butt of the rod.

not really a pain when you get used to it.

I used to always use an alvey but now prefer spin reels for rock fishing but still use alveys for the surf. I just don't like the slow retreive of an alvey. I use lures alot now and alveys are not designed for lures. They are however great for lightly weighted baits with a long soft rod.

cheers autocad

Dosnt sound to bad... The reason I'm considering an Alvey is because last weekend one of my reels fell in the sand and that was pretty much that for that reel, well no, when the water washed over it was when that was that...

Arnt alveys immune to that sort of clumsiness ??

Edited by rockfisherman

In my experience Alveys are the "ants pants" for bait fishing off the rocks. Combined with a suitable lightish low mount rod, such as a Snyder 4144 or 6144 rod, they throw unweighted pilchards (on a 40-50 cm heavy mono leader with a swivel at the top) really well. This is particularly deadly on tailer and salmon, and in deeper locations, snapper. Back when I fished the rocks almost exclusively I landed a 12 1/2 pounder one morning and followed up with a 10 pounder the next day on the southern side of Jervis Bay. Fishing heaven!!

The same Alvey set up, teamed with 12-15 lb mono (go for the slightly stiffer brands) all the way through to the hook is just what is required for bream fishing around the rocks. Put a very small ball sinker right on top of the hook (if necessary) and forget the swivel. You only have a shortish length of line out and I have never had a problem with line twist when rigged this way. You also lose a few hooks and will spent much more time re rigging if you use a swivel (three versus one knot to tie). Choose cheaper hooks in the 1 to 1O size range and bait up with FRESH mullet or tailer strips about 1 cm x 3 cm. Place the hook ONCE through the top end of the bait so that it wafts around a bit. Pilchard tails and heads also work well if they are in good condition. Cast into the washy nooks and crannies around the rocks and let the bait sink, SLOWLY retrieving it through the foamy water. Lift the rod gently to set the hook when you detect a bite. you will quickly get the hang of laying the line evenly back onto the spool, not that you really need to worry with the short amount of line that you will have out. Now is prime bream time around the rocks.

My limited pig fishing experiences have also involved the same style of rod, perhaps a little heavier (like a 7144), and an increase in line size to 20-25 lb. Again, no swivel and a size 4 to 1 heavy duty hook. FRESH bread, cunji and green prawns all seem to work on these thugs. Don't muck around with them - give e'm heaps and hope for the best!

I have a 6 1/2" Alvey without a drag that I prefer to use for bream and tailer. I prefer the model with a drag for the pigs though.

Hope this helps a little. Rock fishing can be great fun PROVIDING you take all the necessary safety precautions. Tight lines and take care out there.

Kel

• Like 1

alvey and braid do cast quite well ,the australian 4 ozs distance record was 204 mts for quite few years cast with firline 4 mt rod low mount alvey ,there is still a few distance records today that were set with an alvey and braid ,most of the these are set by casters over 65 years old and all are well over 150 mts ,if you do want to get better distance out of an alvey and use braid you must drop you guide size down ,start with a 25 end with 10's 6 to 7 guides close to the blank ,not a high mount guide ,line twist is over come by this guide setup and good presure on the line thru the whole retrive and letting is untwist befor you put rig on the sand or ground or realse presure on the line .

Ok decision made, I'll be buying an alvey reel, I got a price on a couple of possibilities.

Either the 650 B for $120 or the 650 BCXL for $140...

Might just fork out the extra $20 for the better model...

Although the 650 B is lighter than the latter.....

Now for a rod, am I being to optamistic hoping I'll get away with spending $150 ??

Best reel for the rocks, 650E5 metal back plate etc, handles directly on spool, drag can be switched on when fish is taking line.

Next best 650BE1, the plastic model of the above.

Then comes 650A5 the surf version but still good, has the handles directly on the spool, only a star drag, ie applied when winding as well as when fish takes line.

Next best the 650B the plastic model of the above.

If you want something smaller there is the 600A5.

Handles on the spool is the important part for rock fishing.

YES you should be able to pick up a decent 12 foot low mount for around $150 dollars. You need to consider what line class you will use and species, then buy the rod with the correct rating. Snyder, Wilson are good places to start looking.

Use good cheap mono and correct swivels. Schneider is really good line for general rockfishing. Most of the time long casts aren't necessary for rockfishing, unless you are trying to hit a gravel patch or sand patch for snapper maybe.

Matt

Mac man

I'll be going the 650 B...

And which ever rod I can get my hands on for $150....

And your recommendation for line was Schneider.

Good choice on the reel, will suit very well, and probably suits your price bracket.

Have a look at second hand rods, these things come up all the time and last for years. What are you going to be targeting ? Let me know and I can make a better recommendation on rod.

Yes Schneider Kleerline is a very good general purpose mono suitable for rockfishing. You will get a bit of line twist with an ALvey even with proper care, swivels etc, its not a big deal, but your 650B will take 400-600 metres of line, so stripping 20 metres occasionally isn't a big deal.

Matt

I think that reel will be fine, BUT would never recommend a reel without the handles on the spool if you are going to do any rockfishing. But seems you are after an allrounder and prehaps the ability to cast and retrieve lures so some compromises may be necessary. I fished today from a slight cliff on the rocks and that reel would be a pain in the arse for that. You could always grab the spool to dead stop fish or to help when dead lifting up a ledge.

Matt

I think that reel will be fine, BUT would never recommend a reel without the handles on the spool if you are going to do any rockfishing. But seems you are after an allrounder and prehaps the ability to cast and retrieve lures so some compromises may be necessary. I fished today from a slight cliff on the rocks and that reel would be a pain in the arse for that. You could always grab the spool to dead stop fish or to help when dead lifting up a ledge.

Matt

The main reason I'm choosing rapid retreive is because Is for that reason exactly... Not sure I'll be I'll be using lures...

If I was going to choose an Alvey for that, it would have to be the Alvey 650 grbc which recovers over 1m of line per Revolution...

The main reason I'm choosing rapid retreive is because Is for that reason exactly... Not sure I'll be I'll be using lures...

If I was going to choose an Alvey for that, it would have to be the Alvey 650 grbc which recovers over 1m of line per Revolution...

Sorry, what reason exactly ?

Again, purely my opinion, but unless you are trying to fish gars quickly or lures, then the retrieve rate isn't really a big deal, compared to the ability to be able to direct wind. If you really have your heart set on an Alvey with the drag AND want rapid retrieve then look closely at the 650BERR, which fulfils all of your goals, like it says the ultimate rock fishing reel.

Direct wind, anti reverse drag with on/off switch and rapid retrieve.

Matt

Ok so this is what I ended up going for... Partially due to the following factors:

1) macmans point of view which in turn made wonder if I really wanted/needed the rapid retrieve model

2) going to 4 tackle stores in my vicinity, and no one having the model I wanted ( the excuse being " we don't sell many of these " ) which made me looker closer at the direct wind model

3) and finally, when I got to the final tackle store, his price was best by far for both rod and reel...

Ladies and gentlemen.....

I present to you....

The Alvey 600BT coupled with the Wilson 6144 low mount..

*sound of applause*

ca514599-0b77-dcd3.jpg

Edited by rockfisherman

Very versatile reel, should have been quite inexpensive, half the price of the others we spoke about, so a good place to start, should be great on the beach and rocks with 6kg or so. Nice and light etc, hope you enjoy it.

Matt

Very versatile reel, should have been quite inexpensive, half the price of the others we spoke about, so a good place to start, should be great on the beach and rocks with 6kg or so. Nice and light etc, hope you enjoy it.

Matt

Cheers mate, I cant wait to use it, even spooling the mono on and using my finger to guide it on i was getting excited...