Alvey reels

rockfisherman

hows it going now? Worth getting one still

Was thinking of adding one to my stable.

Antonywardle

They take a little getting used to but Youll only ever know if you get one and try, but personally I'm very in love with alvey reels and our feelings for each other have grown over the past 4 years ? so much so alveys are pretty much all I use for rock, beach, estuary and boat, obviously can't use it for jigging kings...I'm also trying to sell my other gear if anyone is Interested, there's some stuff in swap and sell, and got some more gear laying around (hint hint)

Fire away with any questions.

Yes and No.

Yes it's true with the direct wind models, you need to palm the reel to create drag.

No it's not true because drag models exist, and the drag is quite smooth. The guy in the camping store might not have been aware that they exist.

Here are some photos of drag models

post-9212-0-85205600-1446412714_thumb.png

post-9212-0-02666400-1446412729_thumb.png

post-9212-0-65260100-1446412743_thumb.png

post-9212-0-09609700-1446412755_thumb.png

Sorry, didn't explain properly. He said that the combo ones didn't have the drag models

but they made other ones that did. It was the combo one I was looking at because of the

pricing.

I'm guessing that there isn't a difference in casting between the two types, its what happens

next that is the main difference.

Sorry, didn't explain properly. He said that the combo ones didn't have the drag models

but they made other ones that did. It was the combo one I was looking at because of the

pricing.

I'm guessing that there isn't a difference in casting between the two types, its what happens

next that is the main difference.

Yep, absolutely, they cast the same, all that's required before you cast the direct wind model is to tighten the tension knob so the reel free spinning dosnt mess up your cast.

Guest Guest123456789

I owned an alvey 6500 bcv and an alvey 12foot beach rod. Used it for one year, spoke to other guys who used them, read up etc. I ended up chucking it out - I HATE ALVEY REELS

Edited by Guest123456789

I owned an alvey 6500 bcv and an alvey 12foot beach rod. Used it for one year, spoke to other guys who used them, read up etc. I ended up chucking it out - I HATE ALVEY REELS

It's an acquired taste...

And by the way Luke, you may hate alvey reels, but they will always love you xoxo

• 6 years later...
On 5/30/2011 at 7:44 PM, rockfisherman said:

Here I am... Again... Considering the purchase of an alvey reel...

Yes I know they're a great reel for surf a rock fishing and they cast a mile.

But I have some more questions...

How do Alvey reels go with braid ?

Is line twist a problem ?

Do you need an Alvey rod to use an Alvey reel?

Is it a pain using your finger to level wind the line on the reel if thats what is you have to do??

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any information

Use 2 swivels either side of ball sinker or a swivel at the snapper lead and another at the top of your paternoster this prevents line twist for me as long as the swivels are the correct large enough size.