No more boats or kayaks to be sold on Fishraider

This has come about because so many members are flauting the Site Rules and it has been decided that NO MORE BOATS OR KAYAKS WILL BE SHOWN FOR SALE BY MEMBERS on any of Fishraiders Forums

This does not include our Site Sponsors who still have that privledge.

ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS CAN BE FORWARDED TO SWORDFISHERMAN VIA PM

Admin

A big shame this, always someone ruining it for everyone else.

If only some knew the work put into this site to make it great for others to use.

not being a smart bum or nothing but i dont see the problem just gives raiders a greater chance to sell there boat?

ive never really understood that rule?

also the one about stating that well known auction site that no dare talk about

is there a reason?

there are many other sites that dont charge for boat ads to

but they dont say dont list here if listed elsewhere

just wandering thats all

cheers

Look we do not have the time to monitor all these activities. Stewy and I and our fantastic moderators do this as a hobby more or less. We all have careers and jobs and families and commitments.

We are sick of getting pm's complaining that when a member messages the seller about their boat they are told it is already sold via an online sale/auction house. We get complaints that some vendors are shonky. We have seen people try and sell stolen goods. We get ebay sellers and local/overseas online shops trying to use fr to sell their stuff ( no wonder our local tacklos are going out of business) We have had members being threatened and bullied.

Poor Hodgey spends all his time administering swap and sell. Every post put in there is invisible until checked by one of us (usually Hodgey) and ok'd. Then there are the spammers that join just to sell stuff (and do not contribute) and try to post 20 useless stupid posts.

I am not a fan of swap and sell as you all know, it was closed last year for several months and we brought it back. Perhaps it is time for it to go again.

Fishraider is a place to come and share fishing stories and experiences. It is not an online selling/auction or trading forum. There are many other sites that you can do those sorts of activities.

Maybe it is time we closed fishraider altogether. If it gets too much harder that is what will happen.

Finally to Tim Mc - your comment What do we do next, stop talking about fishing is quite interesting. You joined us in 2008 and have contributed 28 gems in the way of posts to the site :thumbdown: (2 posts in March and May selling boats) it seems to me that you don't do much talking about fishing in any case. If you or anyone else wants to debate the subject please pm me and I will gladly give you a call.

Thanks to everyone for making this a viral post, the hits are clicking up by the second!

Just my 2 bobs worth

Dont get me wrong this is a great site but I think you may need to reconsider this decision

Do you really wont to ruin it for Total Members 14,459

Yes I agree on policing the rules. Give the indivdual a warning then next time bann them from that area or completely (your call).

Yes I too have broken/misunderstood one of the rules but I was informed of this.

I just dont agree on ruining for everyone.

From memory the swap & sell posts need to be approved by admin ??????????

Just my 2 bobs worth

Dont get me wrong this is a great site but I think you may need to reconsider this decision

Do you really wont to ruin it for Total Members 14,459

Yes I agree on policing the rules. Give the indivdual a warning then next time bann them from that area or completely (your call).

Yes I too have broken/misunderstood one of the rules but I was informed of this.

I just dont agree on ruining for everyone.

From memory the swap & sell posts need to be approved by admin ??????????

Read the above, IT OUTLINES THE PROCESS.

We don't need to do any more policing, we haven't got the time or the inclination!

Anyone want to administer the swap and sell section - just be here 24 hrs a day and read everything!

If we are "ruining it" for all members then maybe we just close fr.

It is only boats that we are excluding, I see you yourself sold a beach outfit and I am sure that you have purchased some stuff too.

Pay $35 and sell those boats on the boat selling websites!

Then there are the spammers that join just to sell stuff (and do not contribute) and try to post 20 useless stupid posts.

maybe raise the posts to 100 that way you can get a better idea if they are morons or not and also try get some more mods in if you don't have much time on your hands they might be able to fill in some times?

this is a great site and there are a lot of other solutions to this problem then giving up all together you should not let this upset you so much i hope you can find a good solution for this.

cheers

Jason

Just seems strange to me that a fishing site like this which is very informative and interesting doesn't have a facility

for members to buy and sell boats that are obviously set up as serious fishing rigs, as opposed to trawling thru the boatsale

websites and weeding out all the overpriced crap.

Just my two bobs worth

I like the idea of charging a small fee for swap and sell if it is to stay.

After-all the site sponsor's have to pay to promote their products & Services,

This is just my opinion of course...

Thankyou Stewy & Donna & everyone else responsible for providing this great website

Regards,

Nathan

Just seems strange to me that a fishing site like this which is very informative and interesting doesn't have a facility

for members to buy and sell boats that are obviously set up as serious fishing rigs, as opposed to trawling thru the boatsale

websites and weeding out all the overpriced crap.

Just my two bobs worth

There is nothing strange about it. We DID have that facility and now we DON'T because some people can't follow simple rules.

Remember, you don't actually need a boat to fish. Many, many people enjoy their fishing without "serious fishing rigs". Some have never owned boats and never will.

Fishraider isn't an elitist community of boat owners/buyers, it is all about fishing!!!

If you are into buying and selling boats then go play in the boat selling forums!!

Keep fishing everyone :biggrin2:

Having been a past moderator I agree whole heartedly with admins decision. Fishraider is a site that is free to all its members, there are no admin charges, nor are there any fees for member who wish to sell items through the swap and sell forum. Unlike some of the other sites where there are some hidden charges. If you wish to sell your boat through fishraider, how about taking it to our site sponsors and selling it on consignment. Your boat could still then be seen. Just think about it, maybe your boat could be the boat of the week. This is only a suggestion, but it means that your boat would still be seen by other members.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Cath

Edited by cat-as-trophy

Hi, this site has without doubt been the major contributor to my fishing knowledge so please take this as more of a query than an ignorant statement of opinion.

Is the reason members cannot mention '*bay' anymore due to sponsorship issues? I feel that auction site has become a household phrase much like 'google-it' or 'band-aid' and 'minn-kota' (to us fishermen/women). I think that when someone refers to the site they are not trying to push the brand to encourage or advertise its use but to suggest they have found an item they are interested in somewhere other than a retail store. Using the name incorporates context into their description so that other members can understand it may not be locally sold or may not be previously used and so on, and therefore be more helpful in their suggestions of whether it may be appropriate to the needs of whoever raised the topic.

I agree wholeheartedly with and support administrations monitoring of offensive remarks or preventing people from registering just to push a product or sell something to name a couple of examples. However, where do you draw the line between allowing fishing enthusiasts to discuss their favourite pastime freely without having products pushed in their face or being offended by others and creating 'rules' to protect very existence of the forum?

Greg

I completely understand that you don't want sponsors to be discouraged which I agree with. What I was eluding to by saying that *bay was a household name is that in reality they don't have any competition that sponsor the site. Sure you can buy outboards, fishing gear and so on through sellers on the site but if you are looking on the site for such items you aren't really in the same market as sponsor's products (say a certain sponsor who sells new outboards/boats through a dealership). Although I am aware that you could easily argue the opposite. In the end you cannot prevent members from commenting on products other than those sold by sponsors as: (1) it would be practically too difficult and (2) the activity of fishing today involves many different products and as a result a 'forum' of people who fish will want to compare them so they can improve upon their hobby.

I guess it's just my personal opinion that the names of other products or marketplaces should be allowed as it is in fact a forum, not an advertising location. Our sponsors are brilliant in what they do and I have personally been helped and had my motor serviced by Huey and had some advice from Gary from Seriously Stainless, both of which would not be rivaled by any products sold in online auctions as in Gary's case, no overseas budget stainless product would come close to rivaling his custom made top quality fabrications. The involvement and guidance from our sponsors puts them in a position that no online marketplace could challenge, they are simply in a different league.

Of course I respect admins decisions as the site has flourished over the last four years I have been a member and my post was more of a question of the reasoning behind some decisions instead of an argument against them.

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by greg123

Lets face it most of us on this site own a boat. Once you own one you rarely want to buy another one on a regular basis. Very few boats are going to be sold here so it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Lures, rods and other bits and pieces are another story, we are all interested in getting a bargain for them. If I offered to buy a box of lures only to find out I was gazumped on a different site I would have the Tom Tits. Same applies for boats.

It isn't a big loss if Admin drop boats off. Just stick to the rules for everything else so we all get to have a crack at things we want.

Dave

But what would be the difference if all the other items that are listed are listed on that other Web site.

Where do we stop. ???????

Silvo

Its not about the other websites. Its about the time it takes our team to administer swap and sell. The gazumping and bs that goes on is a pain.

Those other websites are trading specific and charge people to trade there. That is their only activity.

To greg123

I guess it's just my personal opinion that the names of other products or marketplaces should be allowed as it is in fact a forum, not an advertising location

If you think that this is not an advertising location you do not understand how it all works very well. Fishraider is optimised. There are search engines that practically reside here because the board is very active and its content changes frequently.

Have a look at a post in The Kitchen by a member here about a fish pie by a well known chef. Just type into google "Jamie Olivers fantastic fish pie" and see where it directs you to. This post has had 57,245 views and that is because of google and the fact that it is "advertised " on fishraider! It even gets more hits than Jamie Oliver's own website.

Fishraider is about credible fishing reports, its a place to meet other like minded people that will share experiences and information. It is not trading specific website and never will be.

I will close it down before it becomes that.

I think what I and possibly Silvo are saying is not so much to do with 'swap and sell' (although the discussion may be off topic) but the posting of words/names of marketplaces in general discussion. I can see why there is an obvious clash when *bay and swap and sell mix.

I think what I and possibly Silvo are saying is not so much to do with 'swap and sell' (although the discussion may be off topic) but the posting of words/names of marketplaces in general discussion. I can see why there is an obvious clash when *bay and swap and sell mix.

It is off topic yes. General discussion about things is different to what happens here Greg. You do not see what is removed or the administration behind this board.

This thread was meant to inform members that there is no more selling of boats or kayaks on fishraider.

I am sure that is clear to all now. As Davemmm put it "just stick to the rules"

Should you wish to have a chat about banned names/words then send me a personal message and I will explain it all to you in great detail :biggrin2:

Keep fishing and keep enjoying the site for what it is - a fishing forum and not an online trading place!!!