tips on Browns rock (Henrys Head)

johnsparky77

Hi there.

Burley up to bring the yakkas on, then put them out as livies. Plenty squid to be got close to the rocks as well. Pilchards will get you salmon, tailor etc. The bottom is pretty sandy, not much in the way of snags. It can get very busy which gets a bit annoying at times, get there early.

Good luck

There are days the yakkas are plentiful all day, and the other times, they show up for the morning and afternoon only, so I'd try get there before sunrise.

Plenty of spiders webs to walk into and...

Red belly black snakes, have seen 4 on 4 separate occasions, largest was 2 m and was slithering toward me from right hand side toward the concrete platform, I put my rod down and was ready to jump into the water, thank the good lord I wasn't of any interest to him/her.

There are days the yakkas are plentiful all day, and the other times, they show up for the morning and afternoon only, so I'd try get there before sunrise.

Plenty of spiders webs to walk into and...

Red belly black snakes, have seen 4 on 4 separate occasions, largest was 2 m and was slithering toward me from right hand side toward the concrete platform, I put my rod down and was ready to jump into the water, thank the good lord I wasn't of any interest to him/her.

snakes can swim very very well!!

lol

Good spot but too many people with no commence sense. They see a small gap between people's rods and plonk there rod in between.

I was there Friday just passed, plenty of yakkas where caught but they where huge. Chucked most of them back in at the dismay of the other fisherman around me, i had to explain there is no point in keeping fish your not going to use. I put 2 out on my rods to see what would happen. Something was scarying them as the rods would dance around but no bites.

Got frustrated at another guy who was catching under size travely and hiding them in his plastic bag, figured i would approach him and tell him they where under size, his comment was "No there not" until i pointed out the board behind him had all the Fish size and bag limits, i offered my tape measure just in case he still wasnt sure :wacko: he reluctantly through them back in.

Just out of curiousity is it still possible to catch small yakkas during winter and will sambo, Bonito and Kingie still go for large yakkas this time of year?

cheers

Oh well, I went there on Sat and Sun. Sat, mate caught one med tailor and no bites after. One guy caught a salmon. Sunday, didn't catch anything and not even a bite for 4 hours.

Maybe just for me, I won't go there again haha.

And very dirty there too. My mate even picked up all the rubbish there at where we fished and put them in one big plastic bag.

If you want to go there, go abit early as the place will get packed once the sun comes out.

Hi mate

I fished it heaps 20 years ago and pulled out a lot of BIG jew - nothing under 10kg.

Throw out big baits on right side - whole large calamari / pike / whole tailor up to 40 cm.

Go to sleep with ratchet on and wait. Secret to this spot is fishing a certain moon phase which I wont disclose.

In the morning there are large groper and drummer along the rocks.

In a howling southerly you will pick up big size snapper.

Should be some XOS kings cruising past the ledge this time of year - thwy love live garfish!

But easier said than done. You have to know what you are doing - good luck - PS never saw a snake there so must be something recent.

There used to be heaps of good size jews there. Haven't even had a run there in years plenty of sharks though. If your heading out at night on a boat be really carfull of the bombie it can pic up in seconds if caught on it well let's just say make shore you have your life jackets on. But you never no that big jewie could just be around the corner

Brown's Rock is a beautiful place that has been ruined by incosiderate people. I've recently moved nearby, thought I'd give it a go and will never go back. Block Pilchard packets, discarded food packets and general crap everywhere. It's a disgrace the way the place has been treated.

Hi mate

I fished it heaps 20 years ago and pulled out a lot of BIG jew - nothing under 10kg.

Throw out big baits on right side - whole large calamari / pike / whole tailor up to 40 cm.

Go to sleep with ratchet on and wait. Secret to this spot is fishing a certain moon phase which I wont disclose.

In the morning there are large groper and drummer along the rocks.

In a howling southerly you will pick up big size snapper.

Should be some XOS kings cruising past the ledge this time of year - thwy love live garfish!

But easier said than done. You have to know what you are doing - good luck - PS never saw a snake there so must be something recent.

Hey Pacemode,

very long time no hear a jewie report from you.

Good to see you back.

Is it Jim?

If my memory serves me, you fish almost exclusively for jewies in the harbour and Georges river.

Nice to see you respond to a post and I hope we can get some reports from you to keep us interested this winter...

Tony

I had a cut feeling about this spot hitting a good size ocean Jew which i tried one night with no touches on my baits...must give it a go again which Pacemode has confirmed he has done well in the past. I am not sure if you (Mr Squid) or anyone else planning on going there by boat at night, are aware of the bomie just off Bare Island. Stay wide and then turn for that spot if comming from Port Botany or check it out in the day time.

Cheers cg.

yeah George I remember that well, Got you hooked on short Blacks :thumbup:

I have visited this spot a few times over the years, it can get busy at times.

Also there is the risk of running into naked men engaged in lewd activity in

the scrub close to this spot :1yikes: . Little Congy beach is around the corner where the

nudists, usualy men frequent. If your taking kids there be extra cautious.

cheers

I've fished Browns many times in the past, but I haven't caught much from that spot. Once I dropped a hairtail there; I had it at the surface so could see that it was a hairtail. That was quite some years ago though.

The lewd men are a concern, especially if you go off the track on the way down to the spot. You usually know by the signs if you have entered there territories; mounds of used condoms, plough marks in the soil, perhaps even distant groaning. Anyway, be aware of that area immediately behind Little Congi Beach - it's no b/shit that they do get up to stuff there and you wouldn't want your kids to be exposed to it.

I think Browns rock itself is a disgusting place to fish because in summer it's hot and there's dirty sandy soil that ends up in your gear. It's really hot in the afternoons with the NE wind protecting it while you bake in the afternoon sun. In winter it's bloody miserable with exposure to southerly winds, rain, and the horrible dirt.

I'll only fish it from a boat.

If you head further around towards Henry head you get nice clean rocks to fish off and with a big cast out there are heaps of reddies, albeit most are undersized or just on legal size.

• 4 years later...