Sydney Harbour Jewie

Ashwaaz

G'day raiders. I've been a member for quite a while but this is my first actual report.

Decided to go wet a line after work on Friday afternoon, tried to get to the bait store before it closed but missed it by 10 minutes…. :ranting2: Had a decent sized frozen squid I caught recently and ended up getting some servo pillies and prawns. Met my mate Chris down at Drummoyne boat ramp around 6:30pm and headed out in my 14ft tinny. Was originally heading out to Sow & Pigs but as we got close the swell was really bouncing the boat around so we decided to explore some calmer waters. We found some fish on the sounder as we were cruising near Rose Bay, even though we haven’t fished this spot before we thought we would give it a go so anchored up and dropped a few baits down. :1fishing1:

The first 2 hours produced heaps of undersized snapper around 30cm and couple of bust offs by something with teeth. I decided to rig up the Baitrunner loaded with 20lb braid and throw the squid head out. Within a few minutes it got smashed and busted off almost instantly, something with teeth nailed it as line had a clean cut. I re-rigged, put on a decent sized squid strip and sent it back out to soak, not even 10 minutes later I heard line coming off the Baitrunner really slowly. I let it run for a little while before flicking the Baitrunner off and then BOOM! The rod buckled over zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…. Something with a lot of weight and power was on the other end of the line and all I could do was hold on as line was peeling off the reel. This thing felt like I hooked up to a freight train, the first run lasted over 2 minutes!! Chris was getting the other lines out of the water but one had tangled around my line……. I’m so thankful Chris knew what he was doing as with a quick slash with a sharp knife, he got my line free and I was back in business. About 10 minutes into the fight I thought I had it in the bag but once it saw the boat it took off again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz this run lasted about a minute but this time it ran straight under the boat. I had the rod in the water while Chris was tilting the motor up so I didn’t get cut on the prop. I wasn’t having much luck leading the fish to the back of the boat but this horse had so much strength it actually pulled the boat around. :yahoo: No complaints from me as once the boat had spun around, the line came out from underneath the boat and I was back into him again.

15 minutes into the fight and I had finally got close to the boat again, my heart was pumping a million miles an hour from adrenalin and anticipation of seeing whatever this was but once it saw my boat the rod buckled over again and it went for another run. This run only lasted about 30 seconds and once it was done I think he had completely spent himself as didn’t do much apart from the odd head shake on the way back in. When it finally came up I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was a horse of a JEWFISH!! :1yikes: Chris tried to net it but could only fit the head in so I grabbed the Boga grips, and managed to get a lip grip on. We struggled to pull it into the boat but once we did we realised just how big this fish really was……….

This horse went 135cm and I’m calling around 35-37kg (tried to weigh it but it was off the 60lb scales). This is only the 2nd Jewie I have caught and by far the biggest fish I have ever caught in my life!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

We kept fishing and pulled out a few decent sized bream, a couple port Jackson sharks, some sort of little reef shark and a good sized gummy shark around 6kg, all went back in as this Jewie would feed an army.

Some yakka’s had come up the burley trail so I caught one and sent it out unweighted. Fishing went a bit quiet and we made the call to leave in the next 10 minutes when I heard the Baitrunner start to take line. Again I let it run for a few second then pumped the handle and I was on! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz another Jewie!!! This one only had 1 good run in him and then I was able to knock him over fairly quickly. It was a little green when it got to the boat gave us both a bath when we were grabbing it out of the water. The small jewie went 92cm (well not small but smaller than the big boy), what a way to end the best Sydney Harbour fishing session of my life…… :yahoo:

I was going to enter this into the catch of the month comp but didn’t read about the spool of line until after it had been filleted, ah well I think the capture was the real prize anyway.

post-8773-084461200 1307357340_thumb.jpg

post-8773-029849400 1307357402_thumb.jpg

post-8773-075464800 1307357406_thumb.jpg

post-8773-087179200 1307357410_thumb.jpg

post-8773-023642500 1307357414_thumb.jpg

post-8773-039926600 1307357416_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a cracking sydney harbour jew mate fantastic capture.....hats off

To let you know a 135cm fish is 26kgs for a well conditioned fish

A 35 to 37kg would be 150 to 155cm

cheers

Edited by OUTFISHER

Absolute Cracker!! :thumbup:

Top work. I fished around there a couple of times thinking it might be a likely spot. I never had any luck but it obviously holds fish on its day.

Nice baitboard too, I have one of those (Baitmate if I'm not mistaken) and rate them highly

Mate,

25kg or 35kg - it's one hell of a big fish to land.

Most people would spend a lifetime and never catch one like that, or even see one that big in the flesh.

You are very lucky to have hooked one, let alone landed one like that.

But don't catch them too big, otherwise there's no way you will ever beat your personal best !

...well, that's my excuse for catching small fish....so I can always have a personal best to beat......

Tony

Holy moly, that is an absolute corker, well done!!! 50 bucks says you named it! I would've!

Your not wrong, I named it Bruce :biggrin2:

Wow..Amazing. Well done bro a fish of a lifetime, how deep was the spot you were fishing can I ask?

Thanks mate, I was in only in 10 metres of water

Thats a cracking sydney harbour jew mate fantastic capture.....hats off

To let you know a 135cm fish is 26kgs for a well conditioned fish

A 35 to 37kg would be 150 to 155cm

cheers

Thanks Outfisher. I looked up the size to weight ratio myself and saw that myself. When I tried to weight it on the 60lb boga grips it was off the scales before I had lifted it off the ground, a couple of the boys who picked it up reckon it was definitely over 30kg. I really don't know to be honest but wish I got a proper measure before it got filletted.

Mate,

25kg or 35kg - it's one hell of a big fish to land.

Most people would spend a lifetime and never catch one like that, or even see one that big in the flesh.

You are very lucky to have hooked one, let alone landed one like that.

But don't catch them too big, otherwise there's no way you will ever beat your personal best !

...well, that's my excuse for catching small fish....so I can always have a personal best to beat......

Tony

Cheers Keflapod, I never actually caught a Jew until I got my little tinny last year then cracked one within hours hours of buying the boat. I've been smashed a few times by big fish on light gear but had no chance of getting them in and everytime I go out with heavier gear it doesn't get touched (Murphy's Law!). To me this was the holy grail of fishing over any other species, only problem is now I have the Jewie fever and want to get back out there to get another one...

Can anyone tell me how to get the jewel out of it's head? I saw some instructions on the internet but no diagram and to was really struggling to find it

Absolute Cracker!! :thumbup:

Top work. I fished around there a couple of times thinking it might be a likely spot. I never had any luck but it obviously holds fish on its day.

Nice baitboard too, I have one of those (Baitmate if I'm not mistaken) and rate them highly

Cheers humesy, you're right mate got the Baitmate board, works a treat and is the only way to go with limited space

thats an awesome harbour jew man, well done.

sounds like a beast of a first run,

i bet you were shaky. :)

Thanks Hooked up, The adrenalin was definitely pumping but did my best to keep calm during the fight. Definitely a bit shaky once it was in the boat and I realised how big it was

Edited by Hodgey

Best Jewie Ive seen (or heard of)from the harbourin AGES! :1yikes:

Well done buddy, you are an inspiration for all of us tragics...

You may have a big debt to settle with my GF as I think I need to spend a lot more time out there :1fishing1: instead of in bed! :1prop: