Some advice on auxiliary motors please...

greg123

Hi,

It's come to the point where I need to sell my tinny which has a 15hp Honda 4 stroke 2000 year model as it's not used now that we upgraded.

However, I also need an auxiliary motor for the 18.5 foot Vickers (glass boat, small cabin thats fairly high, 1998 yammy 2-stroke Vpro, weighs about 2,000kgs im guessing)..

Do you think 15hp would be appropriate? As I may need it when offshore in case of the primary motor failing.

So my options are:

1- keep the 15hp Honda and sell the tinny/trailer for a 1000-1500 maybe

2- Sell tinny package for about 3500 and buy new aux motor which may have to be 2-stroke

As an auxiliary motor are 4 strokes a better option for reliability? (My Honda has never even struggled to start in the slightest since I got it 5 years ago and its 11 years old)

I know 4 strokes are heavier but I don't see the 6-7kg weight as that significant.

Also I do like the electric start on the Honda which might be useful if I need to get it going quickly.

If anyone's had some experience with aux outboards your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ive had a aux on my boat for the last 11 years. Its a 2 stroke 15hp US Mercury with long shaft.

Depending on what tinny you have, you might find that your motor is a short shaft. Long shafts are better for aux motors as it keeps the power head and cowl high to stop it getting dunked with water, while keeping the prop deep enough.

You can get adjustable brackets which allow the motor height to be adjusted. If fishing offshore you need a very solid bracket and its not a bad idea to lash the motor down to stop it bouncing. I run an adjustable stainless bracket in the Tenob brand. They are approaching $350-$400 last time I checked.

Ive got a high thrust prop fitted to my motor, which is designed for heavyier loads and lower speeds. Ive had the 15hp on a 5m Cruise Craft and now a 5.4m Alison (both glass). Top speed on the Crusie Craft was about 6-7 knots. On the Alison its closer to a 6 knot top speed. It does 4-5 knots pretty easy without reving its head off. Wind, swell and current slow it down a bit but not enough to worry about. It will still get me home or to safety (slowly) in nasty weather if required.

Make sure you dont neglect the aux motor. Run it every tip on the hose at home. Give it a good run on the water under load at least 4-5 times a year and make sure the fuel is kept fresh. I keep my premix for max 3 months.

cheers

Rod

I can see why people want auxiliary motors or twin screw vessels, but it is very expensive insurance considering that you have VHF, Flares, EPRIBS, mobile phones, V sheets, anchors, sea anchors and other vessels that are always out. Just one thing to take into account when toadys outboards and much more reliable than they ever have been. It maybe an option to sell the tinny and outboard and the yammie and repowering? just some food for thought mate.

Cheers Rod, that's a good point, I'm pretty sure it's a short shaft so I guess it won't do anyway.

Whaler, I see where you're coming from but the reason I thought I might need one is because the primary motor is getting a bit old now and if it fails at sea It's either call for a tow or use an aux. to get home.

I think repowering may be out of my budget, the yammy is probably worth 10k and the tinny 4 so that's 14 compared to the 25+/- of a new yammy of similar hp.

Hey Greg,

"Old" is dependant on a variety of factors. I have a 1999 70hp 2 stroke yammi and I definietly dont consider it old. Really depends on how many hours its done and how well it was looked after. IMHO a 2 stroke yammi is about as bullet proof as you can get for reliability - as long as its looked after. Also you need to consider how much long-range, deep sea fishing you will be doing. A little occassionally with a well kept "older" motor has minimal risk IMO and as Whaler said you wont be without other safety equipment on board. Usually when I go +10km out it is good weather and there are usually other boats around too, futher increasing the security aspect. If you like night fishing off-shore or going out when other dont because the seas are up and the fishing great then ignore what I have said and get an aux :wacko:

Hey Greg,

"Old" is dependant on a variety of factors. I have a 1999 70hp 2 stroke yammi and I definietly dont consider it old. Really depends on how many hours its done and how well it was looked after. IMHO a 2 stroke yammi is about as bullet proof as you can get for reliability - as long as its looked after. Also you need to consider how much long-range, deep sea fishing you will be doing. A little occassionally with a well kept "older" motor has minimal risk IMO and as Whaler said you wont be without other safety equipment on board. Usually when I go +10km out it is good weather and there are usually other boats around too, futher increasing the security aspect. If you like night fishing off-shore or going out when other dont because the seas are up and the fishing great then ignore what I have said and get an aux :wacko:

I have just bought it so I cant be 100% sure its going to be fine but with boating offshore there's just so many variables that something is bound to go wrong eventually. I found an article on aux motors where the author suggested 'if heading offshore with a 15yr old yammy v4 then an aux motor may be necessary'. I do have quite a lot of confidence in the yammy though but not a huge amount of experience with motor issues. I was really just looking to bounce some ideas off raider members and hopefully get some input from people with more experience/knowledge on the topic.

I guess my main concern is preventing swamping from the stern and getting home should the yammy fail. Would a sea anchor always be able to keep the bow into the waves?

Maybe a Seatow membership + good sea anchor + Improved communications would be more cost effective.

Also by offshore I mean 30kms+ trolling all day so there are fewer boats in case of emergency.

Edited by greg123

I guess my main concern is preventing swamping from the stern and getting home should the yammy fail. Would a sea anchor always be able to keep the bow into the waves?

Yes a sea anchor will keep the bow into the waves/wind. Provided its is the correct size and is deployed correctly.

I have a 15 hp Merc 2 stroke on my 21' Trophy as an insurance, never had to use it . The main is a 3 Yo 200 hp Opti, never let me down and hopefully never will but I still like the fact that I can make my own way back from 40 k out. She pushes the Trophy at 8 kts at WOT and easy 6 cruising speed but I have a small pitch prop ( 5") , they normaly come with a 9" but that would be useless on a heavy boat. I have it fitted on a Panther electrically adjusted bracket.

You are better of without the extra 50 or so KG hanging at the back of your boat but then again you don't have a means to come back if sh*t hits the fan.

Of course I have, EPIRB with biult in GPS, VHF, 27 meg radios , sea anchor, flares, etc... as well as a sat phone.

Whaler 255, normal gsm mobiles don't work much past the 12 mile mate, the old analogue mobiles worked at browns.

I have a 15 hp Merc 2 stroke on my 21' Trophy as an insurance, never had to use it . The main is a 3 Yo 200 hp Opti, never let me down and hopefully never will but I still like the fact that I can make my own way back from 40 k out. She pushes the Trophy at 8 kts at WOT and easy 6 cruising speed but I have a small pitch prop ( 5") , they normaly come with a 9" but that would be useless on a heavy boat. I have it fitted on a Panther electrically adjusted bracket.

You are better of without the extra 50 or so KG hanging at the back of your boat but then again you don't have a means to come back if sh*t hits the fan.

Of course I have, EPIRB with biult in GPS, VHF, 27 meg radios , sea anchor, flares, etc... as well as a sat phone.

Whaler 255, normal gsm mobiles don't work much past the 12 mile mate, the old analogue mobiles worked at browns.

8 Knots! Thats not a bad speed for a 15 on a 21 footer. Cheers for the input, I have a few months to make a decision so I'll give it some more thought.

Its good that you carry a Sat Phone as not many vessels would and out of everything that is one of the best things you could carry.

Depends on hell of a lot of things how far you mobiles will work out at sea. I have had reception well past browns before not all the time but quite a few. I have had mobile reception at exceptional distances of up to 70 nautial miles (130km) off the coast on quite a fair few occasions whilst at work and it happens more than you would think. Just because you do not have recption doesn't mean your mobile wont work, if you call 112 your phone will log onto any mobile tower that it can, not just your carriers network. At the end of the day a mobile phone is an invalable device to have if needed like all other safety equipment.

I just think the thousands spend on a new outboard and mounting bracket could be better spent else where, plus you need to find more room to store the extra fuel tank/s for it to get you back home.

At the end of the day we pay taxes so the government can provide us with rescue services so if needed people shouldn't be afraid of using them.