capsized boat at wisemans ferry?

tide'n'knots

does anyone have any news or info on the boat that capsized at wisemans ferry? I only half heard it on the news while I was at work tonight but apparently the occupents were not wearing a life jacket and neither could swim. - very sad.

At first I wondered how a boat could capsize in such a calm place but my guess is that the guys were probably anchored for quite a while fishing in the rain and the boat could have collected a fair bit of water, when they took off the water would have rushed to the back of the boat quickly and could have caused the boat to capsize. I once got thrown out of a boat excactly the same way years ago, but i was a lot more fortunate.

If anyone hears anything would appreciate you posting it as know a lot of people who fish in that area.

My heart goes out to the families.

cheers pete.

does anyone have any news or info on the boat that capsized at wisemans ferry? I only half heard it on the news while I was at work tonight but apparently the occupents were not wearing a life jacket and neither could swim. - very sad.

At first I wondered how a boat could capsize in such a calm place but my guess is that the guys were probably anchored for quite a while fishing in the rain and the boat could have collected a fair bit of water, when they took off the water would have rushed to the back of the boat quickly and could have caused the boat to capsize. I once got thrown out of a boat excactly the same way years ago, but i was a lot more fortunate.

If anyone hears anything would appreciate you posting it as know a lot of people who fish in that area.

My heart goes out to the families.

cheers pete.

Pete,

I was at my van the whole weekend and heard all the sirens when the alarm went out. There is speculation that they hit the ferry cables but it is only speculation as far as I am concerned. I heard a report from friends that they were travelling to or from the houseboat in the tinny, below the Wisemans ferries, about near the public boat ramp and jetty. I believe one person was saved and the German Shepherd that was in the boat. As far as I am aware, there are still 2 people missing.

If they didn't hit the ferry cables they did have to stop the ferry. The tide was coming in and the cable wheels can drive bodies down deep. As you know, it is very deep in that area.

Very sad indeed. They were still searching up and down the river when I left at about 3:30pm yesterday.

I didn't even put my boat in the water the whole weekend, partly due to the weather but partly so as not to interfere with the search (couldn't get past the ferries anyway). I thought about seeing if I could help search snags along the bank with the side imaging on the Humminbird but I decided I would probably get in the way and the police and Maritime probably have all that gear anyway.

Wear your lifejackets in small boats, people.

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

According to the local paper 3 men, none wearing life jackets, were in a small tinny with a dog, getting groceries for thier houseboat when a large boat went past and the wake capsized them. One man and the dog got onto the capsized tinny. The operator of the ferry who witnessed this tragedy said he seen the other 2 men go under the water and didn't resurface.

Regards Jeff

I heard last night that they found one of the bodies in the last few days. The word that came back to me from our caravan park was that it was "down where Baz fishes". My friends know I fish mostly down near the wind sock at Laughtondale, so I guess that's where it was found. I am so glad I didn't find it!

I hope they find the other body soon, so the family can have closure.

Baz