Sashimi

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

I personally am a sashimi lover, I can

Eat it by the shovel load.

I have eaten the usual stuff ie kingfish, salmon and yellowfin, and even did some dolphin fish ( a smaller model ) which was very nice.

But I'd like to know what other species can be sliced and diced as sashimi.

:) thanks

Hi raiders

I personally am a sashimi lover, I can

Eat it by the shovel load.

I have eaten the usual stuff ie kingfish, salmon and yellowfin, and even did some dolphin fish ( a smaller model ) which was very nice.

But I'd like to know what other species can be sliced and diced as sashimi.

:) thanks

Trevally and I have heard squid is not bad.

Jew was a little fishy for me, bonito excellent, slimey mackerel excellent, coral trout best! Yellowtail good, similar to trevally. Flathead excellent, snapper bit snappery for me.

Seems to my taste buds the smelly fishes don't rate in my book.

Ones I want to try, surgeon fish as it's nice and oily and drummer as the flesh is so white.

Greg

i have always wanted to eat some of my catch a sashimi but i am worried that i havent looked after my catch well enough to be eaten raw. Is it good enough to just put it in an ice slurry or are there any additional things you should do to make it safe for sashimi.

Also do you gutand scale it first and then fillet it for sashimi or is there a different way to prepare it?

Thanks

Anthony

Bleed clean and ice slurry is the way to go.

Preparation = fillet, skin and de-bone the fish, remove the Blood line,, Cut the fillets into thin slices, if you like just submerse the slices in lemon for 15 minutes and your right to go :thumbup:

Before

ca514599-0226-b577.jpg

After

ca514599-0249-7a53.jpg

I know I know... Don't apply for any jobs as sashimi chef, but it still went pretty good with lemon and soy.

Bonito is next on the list.

Looks like you didnt cut out the Blood line, very tangy was it :wacko:

• 1 month later...

There was no variation in taste, I bled them well...

There wasnt much flesh to work with, thats why I suppose my sashimi cutting skills were a bit rough.

When I get my hands on a nice Bonny, there should be a bit more flesh to work with.

Lol !

Came close to getting a Bonny!

Was anchored up at Molineux, when my mate noticed some surface activity... I quickly tied on a popper and started twitching it.

A big splash next to my popper and the excitement kicked then, get this...

A good Bonny misses my popper completely and flys out of the water... That was my rush for the day.

Sashimi...

Believe it or not, Maori wrasse went well the other nite.

The fish yielded two creamy white fillets, has only a few pin bones, and a firm texture.

this time of year mite be best, as it seemed in good condition.

Yep, it was a hard day fishing!