Thousands of Fish off Sydney

kurtisjohnthomas

Went out today in pursuit of Salmon.

Found some fish just before the Harbour Bridge, but you can't stop there so we motored on.

Saw some splashes at Clifton Gardens and managed two nice salmon.

But the plan was to head to manly to target the apparent big schools of salmon.

As we motored out of the heads we saw thousands of birds, and under them were thousands of Striped Tuna. We tried for nearly two hours, with all different lures, techniques. We couldn't manage a single hit.

We motored to manly same again school of tuna. Couldn't get a hit. Sooo frustrating..

One of the Salmon we got

post-17998-064017300 1309144990_thumb.jpg

hey buddy, if there on the surface you need to use 20g raiders and spin as fast as possible toget the lure up and just under the surface and when you see the fish chase it and is really close STOP the lure and thats when theyll hit it.. good luck

I saw them yesterday coming back in from longy were hitting the surface but not feeding (no birds on them) throw a few things at them, metals, divers and ran a couple of loops around them with bullet and pusher skirts but got nothing was getting late so gave up.

hey buddy, if there on the surface you need to use 20g raiders and spin as fast as possible toget the lure up and just under the surface and when you see the fish chase it and is really close STOP the lure and thats when theyll hit it.. good luck

tried this. They wouldn't even follow it

Hi yeah I tried them yesterday off north head and cast among the splashes with small slugs and plastics but they were not interested. Have caught them plenty of times before but when they are behaving badly like that there is nothing but frustration. Found a school of salmon but they were only smallish ones and again didnt really want to know lures. Caught one on a live yakka but they passed that up plenty of times too.

Hi yeah I tried them yesterday off north head and cast among the splashes with small slugs and plastics but they were not interested. Have caught them plenty of times before but when they are behaving badly like that there is nothing but frustration. Found a school of salmon but they were only smallish ones and again didnt really want to know lures. Caught one on a live yakka but they passed that up plenty of times too.

Tie the biggest treble you have onto the end of your line and cast over the school and try and jag one.

A old bloke told me that he uses this method to catch big sea mullet. only use this method if you intend to keep what ever it is you jag

Tie the biggest treble you have onto the end of your line and cast over the school and try and jag one.

A old bloke told me that he uses this method to catch big sea mullet. only use this method if you intend to keep what ever it is you jag

I thought jagging fish was illegal regardless????

They are striped tuna not mullet. I saw them, we also found a school of frigate macks, again feeding on micro baits. I think they are called glass minnows.

I think a trick which I didnt use, is to put a bit of maccas straw on your line and a hook. The straw runs over the shank of the hook and causes a bubble trail. This sometimes works.

I've seen it used by the Ifish crew on salmon in tassie and it worked well

They are striped tuna not mullet. I saw them, we also found a school of frigate macks, again feeding on micro baits. I think they are called glass minnows.

I think a trick which I didnt use, is to put a bit of maccas straw on your line and a hook. The straw runs over the shank of the hook and causes a bubble trail. This sometimes works.

I've seen it used by the Ifish crew on salmon in tassie and it worked well

i agree tuna for sure saw a number break the surface if i'd had more time (and no kids on board) i would have had a crack at them on fly gear with tiny little siliver flies, when i've had salmon feeding on micro bait it's worked well even with my lack of skill on the fly gear

Edited by pure spirit