How Far Wide?

A quick question for some of the pro's on this site.

I've been a river fisho all my life but having got a nice shinny new 60hp 4 stroke on the back of my little 4.5m tub i've decided to start trying my hand off shore when the weather permits. Last saturday a mate and i headed out on our first shot at YFT. We started at the Hacking FAD putting down a cube trail and fished for around 3.5hrs. Had two strikes in this time but both fish threw the hook mid fight. One fish was a little fella around 70-80cm but the other seemed a much larger fish. Planning for round two this Saturday if the weather predictions stay as they are.

Anyway, my querry is, how far wide befor Fin become a real possibility? am i wasting my time somewhat fishing this close in (20k off)? Should i be making the extra effort to head for some of the wider marks like Browns?

For a first attempt i was fairly encouraged last week by seeing the larger of the two fish and there was pleanty of bird life abouts all day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard

Not to put a dampener on things mr squidy but as the chance of tuna greatly increases off the shelf i dont think id feel to safe on a boat of 4.5m heading out that far. Things can change very quickly out there and browns can make even a 6m+ boat with a 150hp+ engine on the back feel very small out there. The conditions like last weekend are close to a once or twice a year event. just food for thought but generally the good tuna runs are a fair way off the shelf and the tuna last weekend from what i hear were predonenantly wider still.

Hi

Having spent the last 20 years fishing offshore IMO you have reached your limit going to the FAD in good weather. I fished the southern canyons last weekend but that was from my 6.5m f'glass sportsfishermen which is well set up for those distances. Things change quickly especially this time of year and to be caught in a strong S or SW coming in from out wide it can be slow and uncomfortable in my outfit and down right dangerous in anything under 6m. You must adhere to all the safety equipment including fuel capacity limitations (and reserves) and know how to use the EPIRB, VHF, etc. If this is all new to you then small steps - the FAD's are good learning grounds for pelagics but you need to pick the weather. Try not to be overwhelmed with the reports on here of big YFT offshore and take risks in order to score that big tuna.

Regards,

Rabs

Not to put a dampener on things mr squidy but as the chance of tuna greatly increases off the shelf i dont think id feel to safe on a boat of 4.5m heading out that far. Things can change very quickly out there and browns can make even a 6m+ boat with a 150hp+ engine on the back feel very small out there. The conditions like last weekend are close to a once or twice a year event. just food for thought but generally the good tuna runs are a fair way off the shelf and the tuna last weekend from what i hear were predonenantly wider still.

I agree, a few years back we went out in a 7.5m alloy cat even then she was a bit hairy on the way back.

I just saw this, follow this link & have a look at the background of the 1st image & you will understand

the type of conditions you can expect

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=56730

cheers

zed

Edited by ALPHABET

Mr Squidy, in the old days around the late 80's you would be able to get YFT in range of your little tub :biggrin2: but! anything is possible, i have seen yellowfin up to 50kg busting the surface within 1nm of the heads and only 4mths ago :thumbup: have also witnessed something of unknown origin strip a reel of 300m of braid in under a minute at the Peak whilst jigging for kings this time last year. Have had a m8 spear a marlin off Maroubra Beach a few years back got heaps of stories like this close to sydney. For starters Tuna are taken between the 12 mile and Heatons and beyond depending on currents and the thermocline layer etc etc. You say you have been a river fisho all your life, My questions to you are endless. Not trying to be a smartarse but trying to understand your knowledges of offshore fishing. Do you know much about weather forecasting, Do you know that conditions change constantly with each nm you travel offshore and can change before you know it outwide? What safety precautions do you have etc etc. Being in a 4.5m tub with 60hp on the back i would hate to be the bloke to rescue you outwide and probably wouldnt!

Seriously get yourself on a charter boat, there a plenty to chose from. From there you can see for yourself what the go is and also if the conditions are right you will see a carpark of boats and compare their size to yours. Im no expert but PM me if you have queries.

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for the replys, i really appreciate both the advice re fishing and the honest concerns regarding safety. I have been off shore a few times through the years on other peoples boats in a range of conditions and know that even a trip to the Hacking Fad is not something to be undertaken lightly in a boat of my size. I do have all required safety equipment and a very good level of knowledge as far as weather forecasting goes and would only ever consider going any wider at times where we have a nice stable high pressure system parked over the top of us and understand that may only be once or twice a year. Anyway, have started looking at rustling up a group for a charter trip to increase my knowledge.

Meanwhile sounds like my odds for Fin in at the FAD are low but not completely out of the question so may have another shot and see how lucky i can get. I had no way of confirming the species of the two fish i hooked last week but they were tuna of some variety and i'd be pretty chuffed to have landed the larger of the two.

Rich

Yeah mate we dont make the rules the fish do... so anythings worth a go.

Besides cubing at the fads your half a chance at a whole lot of other critters anyway.... I saw a big marlin and some makos at the hacking fad earlier this year so its definitely worth a shot!