Redfin Perch Now Noxious in NSW

Berleyguts

The following information from the DPI was in my club's newsletter this month. I thought I'd reproduce it here for any raider's that are interested.

Baz

Did you know redfin perch are now noxious in NSW?

In December 2010, NSW introduced further changes to the NSW Noxious Fish List Australia. The NSWNoxious Fish List now includes an additional 67 listings that have been agreed nationally as having a high-risk pest potential. In addition, the NSW Government has listed redfin perch (Perca fluviatilis) as a Class 1 noxious fish as it poses a significant threat to native fish species. The noxious listing of redfin perch (redfin)aims to protect native species and to prevent the intentional translocation and stocking of this pest fish outside its known range. The new rules will be enforced from 1 July 2011.

What does the redfin noxious listing mean for recreational fishers?

• There is no size or bag limit for redfin in NSW and anglers may continue to target this species.
  • If you catch a redfin we encourage that you quickly and humanely dispatch it; you may utilise it as food, or you can dispose of it in an appropriate manner.
  • It is not illegal to immediately return live redfin to the water where caught; however, we encourage you to dispatch and utilise redfin wherever possible.
  • It is illegal to be in possession of a live redfin in NSW (e.g. in a bucket, aquaria, keeper net, livewell etc) and you can be fined. Anglers in NSW can only possess dead redfin. If anglers in NSW are retaining caught redfin the catch can only be stored dead (e.g.on ice in an esky).
  • It is illegal to use live or dead redfin as bait in NSW.
  • The noxious listing of redfin applies in NSW, including in Lake Mulwala and the Murray River to the top of its southern bank where NSW fishing rules apply. The listing does not apply in Lake Hume where Victorian fishing rules apply.
  • Possession of live Class 1 noxious fish species is totally banned in NSW. There are heavy penalties for possessing, selling or importing them (up to $5,500 for an individual or $11,000 for a corporation).

For more information visit www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases or contact the DPI Aquatic Biosecurity Unit at aquatic.pests@industry.nsw.gov.au or on (02) 4982 1232.

Edited by Berleyguts

Where I come from they are a delicacy. Fillets (even small) battered with a beer batter and fried shortly. Served with Mayonnaise and lemon juice.

That's my favourite method of disposing of them.

Any yes, they can deplete other fish stock, as they eat the other species eggs and are extremely aggressive and resilient (lakes,rivers, ponds, mud puddles, they don't care)

Ben Chifley is also full of them and only about 15km from Bathurst.. I have mates that go out there and is not unusal for them to catch between 60 and 80 fish a day when they are on..They have always been a pest as far as I have know??

The following information from the DPI was in my club's newsletter this month. I thought I'd reproduce it here for any raider's that are interested.

Baz

Did you know redfin perch are now noxious in NSW?

In December 2010, NSW introduced further changes to the NSW Noxious Fish List Australia. The NSWNoxious Fish List now includes an additional 67 listings that have been agreed nationally as having a high-risk pest potential. In addition, the NSW Government has listed redfin perch (Perca fluviatilis) as a Class 1 noxious fish as it poses a significant threat to native fish species. The noxious listing of redfin perch (redfin)aims to protect native species and to prevent the intentional translocation and stocking of this pest fish outside its known range. The new rules will be enforced from 1 July 2011.

What does the redfin noxious listing mean for recreational fishers?

• There is no size or bag limit for redfin in NSW and anglers may continue to target this species.
  • If you catch a redfin we encourage that you quickly and humanely dispatch it; you may utilise it as food, or you can dispose of it in an appropriate manner.
  • It is not illegal to immediately return live redfin to the water where caught; however, we encourage you to dispatch and utilise redfin wherever possible.
  • It is illegal to be in possession of a live redfin in NSW (e.g. in a bucket, aquaria, keeper net, livewell etc) and you can be fined. Anglers in NSW can only possess dead redfin. If anglers in NSW are retaining caught redfin the catch can only be stored dead (e.g.on ice in an esky).
  • It is illegal to use live or dead redfin as bait in NSW.
  • The noxious listing of redfin applies in NSW, including in Lake Mulwala and the Murray River to the top of its southern bank where NSW fishing rules apply. The listing does not apply in Lake Hume where Victorian fishing rules apply.
  • Possession of live Class 1 noxious fish species is totally banned in NSW. There are heavy penalties for possessing, selling or importing them (up to $5,500 for an individual or $11,000 for a corporation).

For more information visit www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases or contact the DPI Aquatic Biosecurity Unit at aquatic.pests@industry.nsw.gov.au or on (02) 4982 1232.

Caught a few in lake burrendong years back and found them really nice to eat , very hard to scale though.

Not a bad pest fish to catch and eat :thumbup:

chris.