Venturing off shore

Bucaneer

Hi raiders

I would like to target some game and sports fish off shore from Sydney(port hacking) I have a 6-7m glass half cab with 200 hp 250 litres all 2yrs old and serviced each winter with all the required safety gear including EPIRB. My thoughts were given I am new to off shore in Sydney was to start at some FADS off Port Hacking and venture to The Peak and 12 Mile in the coming weeks. I have been doing a lot of reading in the forum and eventually I would like to go to Browns Mountain.

I would be grateful to the experienced raiders to comment on my plan especially with regard to suitability of the boat and the weather conditions considered possible.

I would also appreciate to know regulars who would be willing for me to follow side by side to gain some experience and confidence.

Just to keep in touch on the VHF would be good peace of mind.

Feel free to give some help on the fishing techniques.

Thanks Bucaneer

Hi raiders

I would like to target some game and sports fish off shore from Sydney(port hacking) I have a 6-7m glass half cab with 200 hp 250 litres all 2yrs old and serviced each winter with all the required safety gear including EPIRB. My thoughts were given I am new to off shore in Sydney was to start at some FADS off Port Hacking and venture to The Peak and 12 Mile in the coming weeks. I have been doing a lot of reading in the forum and eventually I would like to go to Browns Mountain.

I would be grateful to the experienced raiders to comment on my plan especially with regard to suitability of the boat and the weather conditions considered possible.

I would also appreciate to know regulars who would be willing for me to follow side by side to gain some experience and confidence.

Thanks Bucaneer

Bucaneer your boat is no problems for offshore fishing , I head offshore only when i see the weather conditions are looking good over a few days so you can really enjoy a day out wide.

Make sure to log in with marine rescue and do regular check ins throughout the trip , All offshore reefs hold plenty of quality fish as long as the leatherjackets don,t cause to much trouble on the day.

Trolling offshore can be great fun although some find it a bit boring as you can hook trophy fish while heading from reef to reef etc. Great chance of tuna over the coming weeks , just make sure you have gear for the task.

Start doing trips to the peak and build up some confidence and take it from there.

Like most boats going wide if the weather does turn nasty head back slowly and always carry fuel for that sort of situation.

Always nice heading wide its a day full of fun fishing :thumbup::thumbup:

chris.

Hi raiders

Thanks Bucaneer

Check your PM, give me a call for any advice. Cheers

There are no FADs out there at the moment they get removed and serviced during winter, keep watch for FAD updates here NSW DPI web site

This time of year the peak is a good starting place head out with plenty of yackas and fish for kings or bottom drop for a lucky dip, while your traveling troll with small xmas trees (skirted lures) there is more chance you will get some fun & action along the way then at the destination, while trolling your keeping your fuel consumption down and not belting the hull of your boat around let alone easier on your body. Never under estimate what you can get in close, I got my first marlin earlier this year only 4kms from botany bay heads.

Im only going out about once a month during the colder season but once the water & weather warms up I will be out there most weekends again.

Your more then welcome to follow us around, send me a PM if you are interested and I will keep you updated of what I am upto.

Brett