Shark dies in Lake Macquarie

Hodgey

I've been camping in Swansea since I was a teenager and I stopped swimming in the lake after seeing a shark fin off the main sand flat where you pump nippers, that and a 2m+ across sting ray coming in to the boat ramp at night.

I watch parents let their kids swim out the back of the caravan park on the channel in the sandy shallows, they don't think what could be lurking in the 3+ drop offs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article in Newcastle star paper today has story and now residents of lake area are calling for shark nets etc because of increase of sharks within lake. They stopped pro fishing in lake and knew shark numbers would increase so now they want protection, no pleasing some people I guess.

The increase of fish and live bait and marine life is great, be a shame to spoil it with deadly netting just so people can feel 'safe'.

It's been great being able to see these sharks feeding on mullet etc, even without a boat you can see them at times. Seen plenty of turtles and a big seal that is around also, nets will just kill them.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems with all this media attention there has been a big increase in fishermen targetting sharks within Lake Macquarie, you wonder sometimes if it's better not saying anything as all this media attention has just drawn attention to the shark population within the lake and now they'll probably be fished hard and many more dead ones will be found.

Sharks are amazing creatures. I often fish for them off the sand, and have developed a respect for them. I intended to keep small ones for the pan, but five years later I have put them all back. I haven't caught any at high risk times for swimmers, it is all dawn and dusk stuff. They are amazing creatures, and are able to pick up magnetic interference from the heartbeat of a creature through the ampule of lorenzini on their snout, they can pick up vibrations such as splashing through their lateral lines, and can detect blood/oil through a highly adapted nose. I read somewhere that people are pretty safe as sharks can detect we don't have a high enough fat content (such as seals etc) and they leave us alone. Unless you eat a fair bit at Macca's, then you should stay in knee deep water.