Has any1 fished Ben Buckler

rockfisherman

yes but only once

couple of my mates fished it growing up

it does produce

the best thing about bondi is the crowds - sounds like an oxymoron - but there are soo many people down there, and NOBODY FISHES

alot of fishos put a big red line thru bondi - citing crowds

head down there at night, and have the beach to yourself - during the day not many fish are pulled in lol - especially in summer

its also very protected from swells, as bondi actually faces south, so any swells coming from the east or north are cut-off by the northern headland

anywhere along the northern rock ledge is generally flat

Classic video that I remeber getting a lot of my gear from Steve's shop now long gone he was an exceptionally knowledgable man on fishing. That spot they are getting the pigs is a great one also produces good blackies

Was Steve's shop in Malabar? I can't recall.

No it was in Green St at Maroubr Junction damn lucky if you could swing a cat in there!

yes remember it...so many shops around back then...Hellraiser in Hurlstone Park, Bluefin at Kogarah, Harbord Tackle just to name a few...

yes remember it...so many shops around back then...Hellraiser in Hurlstone Park, Bluefin at Kogarah, Harbord Tackle just to name a few...

The nostalgia thread :)

South Sydney bait & Tackle (Steve Davies) now that guy really knew his stuff. I wonder what he's doing these days.

I still have 3 rods that I purchased over the years from him. One being a 2nd hand G-Loomis, and a few blanks that I build myself.

I also have a Shimano Speed Master that I purchase from Bluefin Sports when originally at Hurstville, was on sale for a really good price.

Harbord Tackle was like the Lamborghini showroom of tackle stores. Those Finnor game reels were quite a site.

Edited by Z-ster

those were the days of my junior Mascot Anglers Fishing Club days and Mascot Bait and Tackle which became Matraville Bait and Tackle. Think the fishing club evolved into South Sydney Anglers........Jim

The nostalgia thread :)

South Sydney bait & Tackle (Steve Davies) now that guy really knew his stuff. I wonder what he's doing these days.

I still have 3 rods that I purchased over the years from him. One being a 2nd hand G-Loomis, and a few blanks that I build myself.

I also have a Shimano Speed Master that I purchase from Bluefin Sports when originally at Hurstville, was on sale for a really good price.

Harbord Tackle was like the Lamborghini showroom of tackle stores. Those Finnor game reels were quite a site.

You aren't wrong about Harbord Tackle, I was a teenager living in the inner west back then, and going to Harbord Tackle was a trip I'd spend weeks organising my one of my old fishing pals...we were like two young kids walking into a candy store when we'd arrive...pockets full of our hard earned cash ready to give away :).

if its nostagia as a kid Dad would take me to Weiss Tackle on Parramatta Road (he had everything) A B O'doherty and Nivens at Haymarket and Fisherman World in Pitt St! I also remeber Ji mMitchell at Hurstville, Bill Heaton ran a good shop as for Steve Davies I ran into him about 6 or 7 years ago when I was running a pub on George St he was in buisness and looked well.

if its nostagia as a kid Dad would take me to Weiss Tackle on Parramatta Road (he had everything) A B O'doherty and Nivens at Haymarket and Fisherman World in Pitt St! I also remeber Ji mMitchell at Hurstville, Bill Heaton ran a good shop as for Steve Davies I ran into him about 6 or 7 years ago when I was running a pub on George St he was in buisness and looked well.

I'm glad to hear that Steve looked well. O'doherty sounds familiar, Father and Son team at central? I remember buying Storm lures (Little Mac & Big Mac) from them along with other terminal tackle. Nivens must have been on Campbell st. I learned how to tie the Bimini from a guy that worked at Fishemans World, and have been using it ever since. He also showed me a spot just south of Rosa gully (he called it the block). Perfect fishing platform but very difficult to get to.

Correct on all accounts z-ster! There were a few tackle stores I missed out on like the the one on George St approx where Opotos are it used to be Hobbyco and Town Hall Sports where you could get a made up Sportex 662 or 663 for $22!

Nivens was a jumble of a place but he knew where everything was!

I remember some of these CDB stores well, my folks ran a milk bar on the lower end of George St back in the mid 80's, and I used to walk around town a lot. I was only young, didn't know my fishing stuff too well, but would sticky beak at some of these stores. The one at Central used to be under the railway line if I'm correct next to the main road...I remember being in the car and always looked out for it when driving past in the old man's car lol.

• 7 years later...

Sorry for such late reply. 

I knew Steve well and Josh, as well as Wayne who also worked, I think mostly weekends. All top rock fishermen whom I held in the highest regard and all really nice fellows with good tips for locations and other bits of info. Don't know if anyone remembers the photo on the wall of Steve and his team at The Mattens after they took out the rock comp and from memory they berleyed for the best part of a week then over the days of the comp they smashed it with about 600 fish!

South Sydney Bait and Tackle was the only shop I ever bought gear from in the day. 

Don't know if anyone remembers old Kenny Carr, who used to man it most Sunday mornings. The funniest bloke. 

Edited by Amatteroflight