Kanangra July trip

Ok- I asked Donna for extra upload space, so will add photos during report then also in following posts.....so bear with me!

Well……about a week late but finally got it done!

Left Sat arvo 9th, headed to Leura to stay with a family friend- hate the fact they bought a block of land and built a big house there with views of the 3 Sisters for less than $300K. Was greeted with a schooner of Carlsberg, then caught up on gossip and chit-chat, then homemade pumpkin soup, then a fresh made beef and kidney pie, with fresh asparagus, nice bottle of Chardonnay and followed up with fresh cooked apricot strudel and cream. Needless to say- I went to bed late, bloated, sated and wanting to sleep in.

Set the alarm for 7am, got up, got ready, Carol was already in the kitchen making pancakes with strawberries, cream, maple syrup and fresh Java. I pigged out, then we made haste and drove to the end of the Megalong to Carlons Farm/ aka packsaddlers. I am almost sick with the fact that until now only went in via Katoomba and Narrow Neck. Going in this way takes only about 1.5hrs easy walk along fire trail, unlike Narrow neck which is a 3 hr hike/climb etc to Medlow Gap.

Got to Mobbs Soak in the early arvo- but seeing as my pack weighed about 40kg- yes 40 kg…I bailed on the entire walk in and camped there. I had luckily spoke with a mate of mine who is a Professor in food Technology at my University and he let me come in to use the commercial dehydrators and vacuum sealers- I basically took 20kg of food and turned it into about 2.5kg. You name it I took it. I even vacuum sealed toilet paper, clothes, first aid gear etc- all for the sake of room in my pack. Unlike other trip I took in my Mont 3 man mountaineering tent- big room albeit big weight. Spent Sun night at Mobbs in very cold conditions for the Bluie's- one of the coldest I have spent.

Mon- hit the road early got to K ck and my campsite- went to find my cached gear ( remember some bastard stole my $200 thermarest last time)- so was searching around, and couldn’t find it- was like “ for F’s sake!- again!!!!!”, then walking back to campsite- saw the bag- sighed and let out a little chortle…..

Set up camp- the biggest shock which I forgot to mention was the number of massive trees that had been felled from the big storm the week before ( Medlow Bath train wreck). On the trail in many massive trees felled- scary stuff considering my previous posts with trees felled and big winds. The campsite had been annihilated and 2 big trees felled right over the site- WOW!

post-8890-038601700 1312035830_thumb.jpg Ate well, started to saw down the trees to clear for Angus and Dan, then hooked into the Rum, and settled in for a very cold night and a few good movies on the IPod.

Tue/Wed – fished the mouth of K ck and Cox’s- astonished to see extremely low water- no chance of fish to get into K ck, and trees covering- which I pulled away- but even though I had followed the BOM Cox’s river height almost religiously for the month on their website- it was the lowest I have ever seen.

I nailed 3 really big Rainbows in the mouth- I guess it makes sense right?- low water, spawning time- meaning the ‘bows will mill at the mouth waiting for the water.

post-8890-068169900 1312035864_thumb.jpg

post-8890-088055400 1312035882_thumb.jpg

Spent another half day upstream- nailed 1 really nice guy in the long “narrow cliff pool”- a superb looking stretch 20 mins upstream from camp, did some nice double hauls with my new Airflow line ( treated with Armorall)- oh yeah 60ft casts baby!. I’m no perfect caster- but did some great loops, and tagging a good fish made it better.

post-8890-047270700 1312035925_thumb.jpg

post-8890-008076400 1312035947_thumb.jpg

Thursday- WOW- another rrrrrrrreally cold night, but happy that the entire week had perfect clear,sunny days. Perfect for my Solar Panel to recharge my Lithium do it all battery to recharge IPod, batteries et al. I played games and watched movies for about 6 hr’s every night- I’m by myself and it is dark at 5pm!!!. Friday-Basically tried to “spruce” up the site for the boys, cut trees etc and just a lazy day all round- actually didn’t fish cause wanted to save the fishing for Angus and Danni boy.

Friday- left at 1230pm for the 5 hr hike back up to Medlow Gap- was clear, nice and Sunny when I left, but when I got to the Everest Summit ( Yellow Dog) without bottled oxygen….LOL!, it started to rain ( I wasn’t gonna take my Gore-Tex Jacket), but got to Medlow Gap around 530pm, sat under the little signboard and covered roof enough to stop me from getting wet- put on my Sitka Down jacket and played Angry Birds ( trying to finally get complete 3 stars to all games- original, seasons, Rio etc!- man Halloween is hard!- 3 stars is like winning Lotto!). The boys arrived in the rain at 650pm.

We shaked hands- had a few laughs, and I basically convinced them the trail is ok……hahahhah. Well it started to get really wet, cold, and foggy. Got to Mobbs Soak, wet and cold –the boys, not knowing any better were in good spirits but LOL- along the way a few hills started to test them. It is tough, even from Carlon’s Farm, but in the dark, rain, fog, cold- yep, awesome!. By the time we got past the Splendour Rock junction, they were obviously chanting “Allah Akbar” or something similar, there are a few places between there and Mt Yellow Dog summit that the trail is “questionable”- in the dark, fog, rain- unforgiving. A few times I wondered off track for 30 second’s- under pressure to be the “guide”- quickly found the way, then used my memory to remember certain landmarks- even in total darkness, always try to remember certain points.

At Mt Yellow Dog, Gus was tired- he had a lot of gear ( good oh him!), Dan- little 45lt pack, like a Xmas hamper, I was hating him!!!!. Gus’s knee was playing up, and the 1.5hr in the dark decent down to the Cox’s was like an arthroscopy or total knee replacement without Midazolam!. By the time we hit the crossing at Cox’s, he was like Mad Max 2 with the metal brace on!.

I think we got to camp around 0230hrs- cold, soaking wet, hungry but laughing and delusional. I loved every minute of it- as I always do. Like bringing moths to a flame- I have this almost love/hate relationship with Kanangra which I am sure Kyuss can explain. The trip in is not fun- maybe the first time, but otherwise one of those soul destroying “ I wish I was 19 again” adventures. At first we were talking about making a fire, drying out etc, but we decided to just erect the tents and call it a night.I helped the boys put up their tents, then we went our separate ways.

post-8890-074889900 1312035984_thumb.jpg

post-8890-095309800 1312036005_thumb.jpg

Next morning, I got up I think around 8am, both other tents were “like Han Solo in Carbonite” – meaning there was no movement. I cranked up the MSR stove, got the fresh Java on the Percolator and attempted to be quiet- respecting that they were asleep. Well eventually they got up, we ate, drank about 3 litres of Coffee between us, yapped, did the immature men hanging out together acting like 15 y.olds, and literally by the time we coerced each other into fishing it was 2pm!!!! Wtf!.- HAHAHHA.

post-8890-016684200 1312036030_thumb.jpg

post-8890-040089600 1312036064_thumb.jpg

I took the boys upstream aways, we caught a few small fish, saw some nice fish in inches of water scoot away as usual, but the day was pretty quiet. I know they didn’t enjoy the “pig trail” walking through the bush- but it is a lot easier and quicker than wading between pools, and in Kanangra the lower pools are far apart. We got back to the camp, it was raining , but we managed to get a fire going ( with the help of Shellite)- hahah when I lit the fire it was like the Russian Tsar Nuclear Bomb- big shock wave- hahahahah boys will be boys!. Got stuck into the Capt’n Morgan ( can’t believe Dan-o brought it in the glass bottle), and Gus’s “ fancy schmancy” whisky, which was like drinking “cultured” paint stripper. The boys had brought expensive freeze dried meals- actually extremely tasty, but at around $15 a pop, expensive. Gus neglected to realize that a “1 person serving”- was like a preschool recess meal, and he was hungry and had to scrounge of us. We erected a washing line of sorts, drank good, laughed, got to know each other and had a great evening.

post-8890-054712700 1312036121_thumb.jpg

Sunday…..Up again late, these young folk sure like to sleep. None of the “DWAG” up at the crack of dawn and into fishing….. I literally had to coax these bastards out of the rack. Again about a 44 gallon drum of coffee, then we headed up the creek. I basically told them we’d skip the lower pools and head right up to the “business” end of the ck. It is about a 45-60 min stroll through the bush along mostly feral hog trails to get to the better pools. These upper reaches of Kanangra are accentuated with cliffs, covered with wild orchids, moss and crystal clear pools, deep and almost a surreal quiet eeriness to them. The odd Wallaby hopping away, Supreme Lyrebirds, and the sun valiantly trying to penetrate its way into the deep well sculpted stream.

We hit the “double hook up” pool.

post-8890-095354300 1312036169_thumb.jpg

This pool has great natural slow ebb to it, deep with a nice rock formation for the fish, and almost a perfect scenario kind of appeal. I headed in first, saw some nice fish, but they quickly spooked and took off. But then almost immediately we saw a rise and take. WOW. Then I casted a few times- nothing. Gus moseyed his way to me and I told him there was a bunch of fish right there, he cast, and immediately hooked up to nice rainbow.

post-8890-046843700 1312036214_thumb.jpg

post will continue........

I cast up to the end of the pool and got a good take- oh yeah baby- double hook up, gangsta style!. My Bow was an “Eddie the Eagle” – spectacular jumps, and tonnes of fun. All the walking and lousy rainy weather paid off. We headed up a few more streams and all 3 of us landed some fish. We decided to keep 2 from the double hook up, and the 1 from the next pool for our Laksa dinner. We went about 20 mins upstream to one of the nicest pools, and we casted a tonne, had 2 good hits, but no hook ups, then Gus nailed a good fish on lure I tried his nice Sage rod, and then nabbed a nice bow.

post-8890-008506000 1312036426_thumb.jpg

post-8890-080298500 1312036463_thumb.jpg

post-8890-073686200 1312036506_thumb.jpg

We kept 1, then headed back- it was around 4pm. When we got back to the double hook up pool- the fish we left on the bank- covered with leaves and casuarina branches had already been attacked by birds?- but luckily we were not wanting the head and eyes- so the fillets were ok. Made the “Mecca like” walk back to camp- I took my head torch, and we were like idiots in a mine field on the walk back. I did a classy descent down a bank- almost broke my Loomis rod, but was funny for the boys- hahahahh. Got back to camp, got into our evening attire, a few “horses doovers”- of the fine whiskey and rum

post-8890-087480300 1312036541_thumb.jpg

then headed to the stream ( about 30 seconds away), half hammered ( well I was!), and I filleted the 4 trout with my Swiss army knife- actually did a good job!, and we loaded up with water and headed back. Before we had even gone on the trip Gus and I had talked about making Laksa as we were both Laksa aficionados so I brought the fresh chilli and coriander and coconut cream, and they brought the laksa paste, vermicelli and tofu. I added dehy vegies, and then I pan fried the trout fillets with chilli and oil, then added the chopped coriander, and etc, etc- we ate like kings- not just normal kings, but REAL KINGS. That one meal “defined” the trip- great place, great company, fresh air, great food, and a genuine camaraderie. We finished all the turps……………….

post-8890-072700600 1312036582_thumb.jpg

post-8890-087728900 1312036598_thumb.jpg

post-8890-044703800 1312036632_thumb.jpg

Monday- again these guys!....these guys!, I don’t know- I had to get all “medieval “ on them and get them up- like teenagers getting to school. I honestly think Dan was awake, cause it was his turn to wash up, but he wouldn’t get out of his tent. So me being too “Mom”- took all the pots and pans and plates and water bottles and did the chores. Those lazy bastards!. We got off at about 10am, then went right up the top- worked the pools hard, nailed some good fish, but saw so many big fish just hiding in like 2 inches of water on the side of riffles- amazing, I never get complacent with this stream- it always throws me a left hook. Lots and lots of storm damage with trees, branches and leaf matter in the water. Gus nailed some good Brown’s. His casting got better and better along the trip- I tried to give him some pointers, but he was casting real good most of the time.

post-8890-088805600 1312036666_thumb.jpg

post-8890-034556600 1312036689_thumb.jpg

post-8890-029927300 1312036723_thumb.jpg

post-8890-086043900 1312036763_thumb.jpg

When the pools were closed in he often “cheated” and went to lure- I just shook my head- Using a lure in the stream is like choosing to go to Wynyard Maccas or Tetsuya’s on Kent St. There is no real comparison, and yes ok you want to hear me say it???- I used the lures a few times and caught some fish!. I hated every second of it. It felt like being online and meeting a hot Russian girl, then 5 mins later they want 3G’s for an “airfare”- it just ain’t the same. I’d rather email that crazy woman who loves cats on eHarmony!.

So………….. we ended up workin’ all tha way to the Ghetto ( Wilhannia Ck junction)- and Gus caught 2 good fish there, then we didi-mau’d from there to get back to camp by around 4pm. Got back I said to Gus, as I had reasoned the whole trip that because the water was so low etc, that I reckoned the spawning run had not happened yet, so maybe the Cox’s could have some big boys hanging around. He was up for it, but Dan ( God love the guy- he isn’t a fisherman, but loved the hiking and place), wasn’t into walking another 15 mins to there…..so we left him with a big fat tank of gas and just walked away!.

continued.....

post-8890-063090300 1312037154_thumb.jpgGot to the mouth- it was basically trickling into the Cox’s, and no way fish could get up, but I grabbed the cheating rod and cast some hard body frikken magic lure , did a sh*t cast into the opposing bank, pulled the bail and then retrieved across the stream against the flow- and hahhaah just like Sarah Palin thinking she can win the 2012 election, I hooked a big fish- it exploded out of the water like a Liger, and tore the drag, really fought like Gaddafi against the rebels and I landed the “2nd” biggest bow of the trip.

post-8890-008146800 1312036975_thumb.jpg

post-8890-002332200 1312037013_thumb.jpg

Then I took over on Gus’s fly rod, with his homemade freshwater crayfish fly, and worked the area, while he took off like on World’s Wildest Police Video’s upstream and in the space of 45 mins in the very fading light hooked like 7 or 8 big fish and landed 5. He hooked a massive trout- I saw it explode out of the water like a Polaris Missile fired from the USS Nautilus Nuclear sub, it eventually broke his leader and 1 million dollar lure, but he continued to get follows and hook ups. I said to him that I was embarrassed and stunned that so many fish were there, and we should have fished here the whole time!. – But……. That is fishing- always learning, and with these remote streams, it is always an evolving process and learning experience. Maybe one day I will earn a PhD in the Blue Mtn’s streams in Kanangra-Boyd NP like Professor Centerpin- Respect!

Monday night way really cold- not -50c like I know, but all relative to your conditions. I had to get out my space blankie and cocoon myself in it whilst wearing my parka and beanie et al. LOL….Tuesday morning

We had “agreed” on getting up at 7am, and hitting the trail by 830am. By 830am I had made coffee, packed half my gear, been to the pool to drop off the kids, and tried to make enough noise to wake the boys up. They were like 14 year olds on start of new term!. The first thing I said to Dan was “ How’d you sleep pilgrim?”- I got a pensive “ I didn’t sleep…I was Fu$#@ng freezing all night!”…hahhahah told you suckers!.

post-8890-006282200 1312037041_thumb.jpg

post-8890-010027400 1312037086_thumb.jpg

post-8890-006923700 1312037118_thumb.jpg

We packed up, ate most of our left over food, cleaned up camp, doing an “Emu Bob”- reference for Hodgey….LOL! . It was a crystal clear beautiful sunny morning. Actually the night before- we sat around the fire, looking at the stars, in silence just admiring this wonderful place. It has to be my absolute favourite place in Australia. The boys were amazed at the beauty, the solace, and the remoteness so “close” to Sydney. We got all our combustible trash and put it on the smouldering fire. Me being the 10 year old that I am, went and poured 1 litre of Shellite on the fire and trash- it didn’t light. I wasn’t game to go and light it, so lit some paper and threw it from a safe distance to it- hahahhah it was like a “Daisy cutter/MOAB” bomb!. Gus was walking back to camp from the stream when it lit- he yelled out “ WTF!”…..like a VBIED going off!.

Well where can I find the words to “explain” the walk out. At the best of times it isn’t a treat, but we left in good spirits, sun shining etc, but when we got almost to the top of Mt Yellow Dog 2 hr’s later- in between we keeled over and died about 6 times with tachycardia and shortness of breath- hahahah all part of the pain!, it clouded in – we could see the ominous clouds rolling in from Kanangra Walls, then the rain started. We didn’t bother getting into Gore-Tex- it was light. But by Mobbs Soak, we were f’ing freezing cold, soaking wet even in Gore-Tex “Guaranteed to keep you wet”, and starving. Every single f’ing time I go I never take enough food for the 7-9hr hike out….NEVER!. We had between us 3 muesli bars, a bit of beef jerky, and 2 snickers bars. By the time we got to Medlow Gap it was almost sleeting- I was so cold….OMFG!. the rain abated, we walked down the fire trail towards the Megalong- hahahh we were all destroyed, but this is where I get my “fun”- cold, starving, miserable etc- all mental…..that’s the name of the game- I “know” the boys loved it even though they bitched the whole time back- all I could think of was when can I come back, but also I was hurting and cold and hungry , and Gus’s monologues of Springwood McDonald’s didn’t help the cause.

We got back to his still there car just on dark, it started to sleet, we changed into dry clothing, made the drive out the Megalong Valley, and through the mountains in icy, wet, foggy and dangerous roads to Macca’s- Gus and Dan’s eyes were like diamonds- I wanted to get changed, so had to do the ghetto, total change-a-roo in the car park whilst some woman was nearby ( and I was trying to change in the car, respectfully whilst the boys laughed)- yeah, for those 30 seconds I was like the champion of Lithgow!.

Well, where to next?............ for all you Raider’s that think you are too old, too fat, too lazy, etc….. You too can go there- have a great time, camp, drink right out of the river. Hear Wild Dogs howling near you, catch nice fish and experience what the Blue Mtn’s is about. I never once have said it was easy. It is a long journey in and out, but even though both boys were ruined, by the time they got home, hot shower, in a real bed etc- they fell asleep that very night dreaming and planning to go back in as soon as they could!.

This is what I live for!

Now thats what i call 1 heck of an epic adventure.i got tierd reading it so i couldnt imagine actually doing the hike myself.well done fellas,sounds like you had a great time in the wilderness,caught some great fish and ate like kings of the bush.well done.i applaude the dedication and sheer determination it takes to pull off such an epic adventure you guys did.im sure the freezing nights and aching mucsles was all worth it.you sure are 1 tough breed of adventurer/fisho nanook.hats off to you.keep up the good work and cant wait to read about your next sojourn into the wild. Cheers johnny.

When are we going again Matt?

Although I maintain I was first up on Monday - which was surprising, given the duelling chainsaws of you guys snoring had penetrated my hardcore rail safety earplugs and kept me awake all night. Get some O2 masks or something fellers, gee . . . :1badmood:

Haha but it's all good fun though.

A fantastic trip in all. My knees felt the pain of my keenness to bring in extra gear - we're talking 5D w/ 24-105L lens, big woolly jumper, not one but two pairs of gloves, beanie, hat, big stove top espresso maker (life's too short for bad coffee). Reckon I can knock about 10kg out for next time.

Matt was a trooper for meeting us at Medlow Gap. The original plan was for Dan and I to meet Matt at Mobbs - after ten minutes walking from Medlow, the consensus between Dan and myself was that no way in hell we would have navigated it ourselves, in the cold, and the dark. It would have meant a big losing of cool, throwing in the towel, camping on a fire trail somewhere and going home the next day.

The fishing was, well, confusing. I have made enquiries on another forum and the consensus seemed to be that the trout aren't really in the mood for feeding, which would make sense as there were lots of deliciously presented nymphs that were completely ignored. The trout absolutely clobbered the little minnows though, which seems to be an aggression response. The double hookup pool was an example - there was a big cluster of rainbows holding to our right, they had refused all flies offered, but when I whipped an Ecogear SX40 across the top of them it got absolutely hammered. Matt I think we need to bring in some zonkers next time.

And there will be a next time. For all the hard work the walk in requires, the repayment of a magnificent creek, good company, good fishing, and the feeling that you have stepped out of the rat race for a few days is absolutely priceless. And I think taking a helicopter in would ruin that for me - I like to work hard for my rewards.

Until next time.

Angus.

Very nice lads I am gutted I could not make it bit ther eis someawesomre fish there and whats this spin rod nonsense there Nanook!

There'll be other times Royce. Maybe if the next month or so sees a lot of rain we might have a good spawning run that would be worth hitting up.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the report. I loved reading it.

I was thinking of you during the good weather and the rain.

I was sure you would enjoy it none the less.

Was it you who castigated me about the spin rod in the canoe in the Bass Fishing photo?

We used to spin to find the fish then target those runs that held fish with fly.

Well that's my story anyway.

Pleased you had a great time.

Cheers,

Geoff

Enjoyed reading your report in between responding to my many e-mails at work!

I admire the hard core close to nature stuff.

Interesting choice of the highlight meal and can see how a spicy rich coconut milk broth with freshly caught fish on a cold night can be very nice indeed ...

Now that is a great report.

I use to fish & camp down on the Coxs,Jenolan years ago back in the 1980s.

It's a great place & use to get great fish.

It's one of the hidden jewels so close to Sydney but a hard slog.

Matt

I don't know if you already do but if I was you I would submit your

reports like this to the big fishing mags.

I have to say it again,WHAT A GREAT REPORT.

WELL DONE!

Amazing report, Matt - what an adventure!! Brilliant pics too - the colours in your pics look just like real life outdoor colours! Love it!!

Gees, glad it was you - I know you are 'used' to cold weather after your Canadian piscatorial adventures ....... but to do it in the middle of WINTER!!!! That takes guts (even an Aussie winter!)

Sounds like you & the boys had heaps of fun too.

BTW ...... interested in hearing what recipes you actually 'dehydrated' to rehydrate down there? How lucky having a commercial dehydrating & Vac Pack machine available! I am planning on vac packing some casseroles for our next camping trip - specially when up in SWR next Feb - sometimes after a long day on the water, I am just too knackered to cook, so I think just reheating some Vac Packed Casserole in a saucepan of water ........ sounds right up my alley!

Well done - a brilliant read

Roberta

Hi Mat

Great report and great photos.

You are right the water levels have been low.we have not really had the winter rains on the divide just yet...especially in the Oberon catchment area.Anyhow will probably pass you down there in the next month.Another stream that i have been frequenting since the june longweekend has been full of browns.

Take it easy

Brendon

Awesome trip and report :thumbup: , it reminds me of when I did the Sydney Rovers trail from Batchs Camp (near shooters hill, south of Oberon)to the Kowmung River Via Lannigans Creek, and back, once, prospecting March 98. There and back in a day, (legs still hurt :thumbdown: ). often thought of doing it again and reconned on 3 people to make it work, for a week, cutting out the duplicate gear, and having some disposables. walk 3 Ks, then 600mtr scrabbling steep decent into the creek then 6 more ks, great going in, horrendous coming back :1yikes: . i think there are better routes to get there along fire trails, and i wouldn't like to leave a vehicle unattended out there, best be dropped off and collected. dunno if there are any fish that far up, suppose there would be, the river is quite big...hmmmm

Edited by piratesgold