Daiwa Exceller Anti-reverse busted

Stippy

Hi Raiders,

The title explains it all really, my trusty 2500 Exceller has been put out of commission by a faulty anti-reverse. Initially the problem was intermittent, stripped it down for a looksee and a service and now the anti-reverse fails to engage at all :1prop: Returning it to Daiwa isn't really an option because it's out of warranty and i'd rather not spend any more money on it. Is this something I can fix myself? Is it possible to lock the anti-reverse?

Cheers,

Adam.

Hey mate,

I have had the instant anti-reverse fail on a Daiwa Saltist after being punished with some serious drag. The instant anti-reverse is made up of a bearing and a collar. There are several things which may cause the anti-reverse to fail:

1) Too much lubricant which does not allow the bearing to lock onto the collar

2) The outer sheeting of the collar has been stripped from excessive use/pressure (what happened to me)

3) The collar has pitting in its surface from corrosion

4) The anti-reverse bearing has failed

If it is 2, 3 or 4 then you should replace the collar and bearing to fix the problem properly. I do not know how much this would be on an exceller but for the saltist it came to around $65, but it was like a new reel.

Inspect the collar for pitting or wear and ensure you have not overlubricated it. If it needs replacing you may as well get daiwa to replace it unless you are confident you will be able to replace the two components yourself.

Hope this helps mate

While I can't guarantee that this is the problem, there's a common problem with anti reverse bearings that is a very simple fix.

There's a very high chance that the bearing is simply over-lubricated. Anti-reverse bearings rely on friction in one direction in order to work. Lubricant is important to them to prevent corrosion but it only needs to be slightly overdone and it overcomes the friction necessary.

You can try cleaning your anti-reverse bearing and removing any grease or oil, then to relube the bearing... it just needs a 'fingerprint' film of grease. That is to say after putting the lube on the steel pins in the bearing, you should then wipe it back off with a clean cloth. This should leave a faint trace of lubricant that will show your fingerprint when you touch it. No more than that.

I've sometimes had to have a couple of goes at some AR bearings (and Daiwa AR bearings seem particularly sensative) to get it right.

See how you go and let us know.

Cheers, Slinky

I have the exactly the same problem in that my excellor ( which was recently serviced by Diawa) will spin in reverse when a i hook up a decent size fish (instead of the line pulling off the drag). I sometimes have to hold the bail arm to stop it from spinning during the fight to allow the drag to activate. I will try your suggestions to see if i can fix it.

Thanks

Anthony

Thanks for the speedy replies lads,

Here's hoping it's just a case of over-lubricating, a quick look at the Daiwa schematic tells me that no particular bearing is designated at the 'anti-reverse bearing' but hopefully it will all become clearer once I crack it open. Shall let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

Adam.

Thanks for the speedy replies lads,

Here's hoping it's just a case of over-lubricating, a quick look at the Daiwa schematic tells me that no particular bearing is designated at the 'anti-reverse bearing' but hopefully it will all become clearer once I crack it open. Shall let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

Adam.

it will more than likely be called a roller clutch so look at your schematics again and you will find it.

Bit of an update. Sat down tonight to pull the reel apart again to clean up the anti-reverse bearing, however I was having difficulty getting the screw that attaches the anti-reverse "switch". While attempting to loosen the screw I realised the anti-reverse was now engaging as per normal. :blink: Perhaps the problem was that I'd over-tensioned the screw during the last service? For the moment I shall hold off stripping the reel down again and just hope the problem doesn't return.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Adam.