'Texas' Reef on 14/8/11

jordan.widz

G'day Raiders,

Went out on Sunday with my dad and one of mates Luke to try and get him onto his first jigged king. We got out there nice and early and the weather decided to behave itself today for a change, at one stage there was no wind at all and the seas were only 0.5m. Since I havent seen a single report from texas this season I wasn't to sure how we would go but texas has never failed once for us, even in summer. So when we arrived we went straight to my favorite spot on the reef and sent down the jigs and it only took one drift before luke and my dad had a double hook up on severely overweight kings they were only 79 and 75cm but had the girth of a tuna.

We kept jigging for the rest of the day in hope of that big one that has dusted me THREE TIMES!! on other ocasions but didn't get any more apart from some of the biggest barracudas I have ever seen, I got one boatside and it was almost 1.5m and lost the body of another to the seal and retrieved its head which was ENOURMOUS. And yes that seal is still there, it now sits a few meters of the back of the boat with it's feet in the air and head pointing straight down watching your jigs come up :ranting2: but at least there were no jackets there today and we didn't lose a single jig which a new record for us lol.

So it was a great day out and the feed of deep fried kingy and chips at the end of the day just topped it off.

post-14559-001949500 1313457408_thumb.jpg

Laters,

Prawn Star

G'day Raiders,

Went out on Sunday with my dad and one of mates Luke to try and get him onto his first jigged king. We got out there nice and early and the weather decided to behave itself today for a change, at one stage there was no wind at all and the seas were only 0.5m. Since I havent seen a single report from texas this season I wasn't to sure how we would go but texas has never failed once for us, even in summer. So when we arrived we went straight to my favorite spot on the reef and sent down the jigs and it only took one drift before luke and my dad had a double hook up on severely overweight kings they were only 79 and 75cm but had the girth of a tuna.

We kept jigging for the rest of the day in hope of that big one that has dusted me THREE TIMES!! on other ocasions but didn't get any more apart from some of the biggest barracudas I have ever seen, I got one boatside and it was almost 1.5m and lost the body of another to the seal and retrieved its head which was ENOURMOUS. And yes that seal is still there, it now sits a few meters of the back of the boat with it's feet in the air and head pointing straight down watching your jigs come up :ranting2: but at least there were no jackets there today and we didn't lose a single jig which a new record for us lol.

So it was a great day out and the feed of deep fried kingy and chips at the end of the day just topped it off.

post-14559-001949500 1313457408_thumb.jpg

Laters,

Prawn Star

Good work getting on to the kings at your favourite spot and going home to have a great fresh feed of fish and chips.

Chris

Well done, we had a go over the weekend in Syd but water temps were down to 15 degrees and the sounder was lifeless.

Yeh The water temp at Texas was 18 degrees and we were sounding up a lot of fish holding tight to the bottom but they weren't kings, cudas, or jackets and when we sent down a fresh Bonnie strip it just got demolished but none got hooked. Anyone have an idea on what these could have been???

Danm that bloody seal !! The thing must live there ,it must be so fat . I have lost a number of kings to it and seen alot of other guys getting smoked by it too. At least you came home with all of your jigs though, as for the fish on the bottom I think that they might be nanny's . I have seen them there before too but I havent tried to bait one , but I have seen the same sounding on shallower reefs around 50 to 80 mts and caught nanny's.

Well done Prawn Star, you always come with the goods when you get out there....even at the 70's they are still an awsome fight, i bet your mate was over the moon and addicted. Cheers cg.

Thanks mate, and yeh he's been itching to come out to texas with us ever since we started jigging last year so it was long awaited day

Prawn star

What Jigging outfit are you using mate

Cheers

Knuckle

Hi mate, I've got a few but the one I use the most is the shimano deep jig 200 with stradic 8000 loaded with 65lb power pro braid and a 80lb wind on leader. The other is a deep jig 400 with 14000 spheros

Edited by Prawn Star

Well done Prawnstar, a nice looking king i nthe pic.

Too bad about the bloody seals there so smart lol.

I had the same type of reading on my sounder, where i could see alot of fish bunched up right down the bottom. I dropped a livey down there and nothing. My guess is they are smaller bait fish otherwise they would of hammered a live yakka.

Ill send the underwater camera down there next time to see. Just need more cable!

Cheers

Well done Prawnstar, a nice looking king i nthe pic.

Too bad about the bloody seals there so smart lol.

I had the same type of reading on my sounder, where i could see alot of fish bunched up right down the bottom. I dropped a livey down there and nothing. My guess is they are smaller bait fish otherwise they would of hammered a live yakka.

Ill send the underwater camera down there next time to see. Just need more cable!

Cheers

yeh i'm guessing their pretty small aswell because we couldn't hook them with a fish strip, it would be interesting to see what they are on the camera it you could fing a long enough cable.

holding on the bottom out there would of been perch or cutta

next time drop down some paternosters with small fillets of slimey

Yeh I definatly will next time, I can see it as a good way of getting a feed of perch if the kings are not active but what sort of perch would they be, long fin or pearl perch?