Red Letter Day

GregL

Went for a little run down the coast today after some reds to pay the mooring fee. Had something on in the morning, so with a gentlemans hour start we ran down to the National Park. With pretty nice conditions it didnt take us much over an hour from Rushcutters fuel wharf to just south of the Hump. Searching out some nice reefy drop offs it didn't take long to get the first and best red of the day of around the 5kg mark.

post-3563-097979200 1314182835_thumb.jpg

There was plenty of bites, not all were snapper....

post-3563-020397600 1314182992_thumb.jpg

There were little ones.....

post-3563-038768100 1314183048_thumb.jpg

And big ones :biggrin2:

post-3563-072224200 1314183099_thumb.jpg

Even these blokes, the donut kings could hook em. :biggrin2:

Cool to do it at the same time though!

post-3563-045134400 1314183410_thumb.jpg

Richard's

post-3563-048855700 1314183178_thumb.jpg

Mikey's

post-3563-053996300 1314183221_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm snap snap

post-3563-054460300 1314183560_thumb.jpg

See it's good to take a moderator out with you, they remind you to add in the drink bottle :074:

post-3563-015434000 1314183669_thumb.jpg

Well I'm rooted so time to go eat some din din me thinks!

Greg

WOW! :thumbup:

Good on you Greg. You caught more snapper on this trip than I've caught down there in two years! I guess that says something about your skill as a fisherman compared to me. (I would've been happy getting a couple of the "little" ones.) And even the Baker is prettier than the ones I catch! :074:

Well done to all of you. Brilliant catch!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks guys for the comments.

It's nice to go fishing in places that doesn't get smashed like Longy! Definately worth the extra effort to get down there for quality fishing.

I still think north has better fish than south but south is closer for me to do the run by sea as my boat is not trailerable.

I recon my trips a few years back out of Harrington were better in quality and numbers but thats 4 hours away....

Haven't been up there for ages, would love to try some of the newer techniques we have been using on the grounds up there, would be epic!

Don't worry dudes, I still do donut days, I just don't post em :biggrin2:

The other day Rich and I took one of my girlfriends out who had never caught a jew and wanted some action after seeing our fishing pix on my TV screen saver at home, yes we both got beaten 2,1,0 and mine was like 40cm.... :wacko:

Didn't we cop it all afternoon.....

3 years so far of divorce and the ex just sacked her lawyers last friday.....

Fishing is what keeps me going through the hard times, it keeps my mind off the bad stuff and retains my sanity. Some might argue lol.

I'm still fishing near every day of the week n how many reports do I put up?

I live breath fishing ATM and spend way to much time and money on it, well so my mother tells me!

I also have been lucky to find like minded fishy friends that are self-employed and have the opportunities to move work around to suit.

This has played a massive part in my fishing, time on the water is everything.

As they say it's hard to catch fish out of the living room!

Cheers

Greg

Thanks guys for the comments.

It's nice to go fishing in places that doesn't get smashed like Longy! Definately worth the extra effort to get down there for quality fishing.

I still think north has better fish than south but south is closer for me to do the run by sea as my boat is not trailerable.

I recon my trips a few years back out of Harrington were better in quality and numbers but thats 4 hours away....

Haven't been up there for ages, would love to try some of the newer techniques we have been using on the grounds up there, would be epic!

Don't worry dudes, I still do donut days, I just don't post em :biggrin2:

The other day Rich and I took one of my girlfriends out who had never caught a jew and wanted some action after seeing our fishing pix on my TV screen saver at home, yes we both got beaten 2,1,0 and mine was like 40cm.... :wacko:

Didn't we cop it all afternoon.....

3 years so far of divorce and the ex just sacked her lawyers last friday.....

Fishing is what keeps me going through the hard times, it keeps my mind off the bad stuff and retains my sanity. Some might argue lol.

I'm still fishing near every day of the week n how many reports do I put up?

I live breath fishing ATM and spend way to much time and money on it, well so my mother tells me!

I also have been lucky to find like minded fishy friends that are self-employed and have the opportunities to move work around to suit.

This has played a massive part in my fishing, time on the water is everything.

As they say it's hard to catch fish out of the living room!

Cheers

Greg

Well put...

Wow!! That's an amazing catch of reds Greg! Congrats x 10 !!

I'm always amazed to see the quality of fish you seem to pull out of Sydney's waterways... you one skilled lure-man!

Looking forward to your next post! Tomorrow ? :biggrin2:

Cheers Trung

Well done boys, great pics and thanks for putting up the post,Greg.

So Greg, with regard to the lure you are using, is it a Lucanus type jig. If so, do you have to work the jig like a plastic(say a 5inch shad) or do you let the boat action(bobbing up and down) do the work. How far off the bottom do you have the Lucanus jig?

Many thanks.

Regards Kit

Well done boys, great pics and thanks for putting up the post,Greg.

So Greg, with regard to the lure you are using, is it a Lucanus type jig. If so, do you have to work the jig like a plastic(say a 5inch shad) or do you let the boat action(bobbing up and down) do the work. How far off the bottom do you have the Lucanus jig?

Many thanks.

Regards Kit

G'day Kit

On this trip a jig in the rod holder worked, yesterday you had to slow wind it up 10m and the drop back and repeat to get bit. Working it like a soft plastic only resaulted in kooters :ranting2: stinking vermon!

whoa! looks like an AWESOME session!

Are you noticing the bite comes on with a certain tide? and are you finding the fish few and far between or stacked up holding in a certain spot?

well done,

Chewie

I dont really fish tides at the moment, I fish when I can.

I have only done 4 snapper trips this year, this was number 2 down that way this year. Usually either side by 30mins is prime. We landed 20 nice ones this trip and only fished 3 spots. Once we found them we repeated the drift till we finished for the day. They were thicker in certain areas along the drift but not sitting on any sort of structure. It's a pretty gravelly bottom...

Some nice reds there guys :thumbup:

How come you didnt let the smaller ones go free, it must

be so annoying to be pestered by snapper that size :074:

cheers

Once we had a few in the well we released any that came up good. Any with the air bladder out we kept as they didnt really release well, we tried.... Let 4 crackers go tho :thumbup:

The smaller ones are the ones I want. I live by my self so a nice steamed snapper ginger shallott asian style goes down well. This tastes better cooked as a full fish.

Yesterday I took an old school mate out for a fish. Not a fisherman at all so the challenge was to get him a fish or two. Rich came down for the run down and what a change! Fishing was tough to say the least. With seabreeze getting it all wrong the run down was nothing like I expected. Battling fog through the harbour, then 15kn winds till dusk had us using two sea anchors just to keep the drift below 2kns! The kooters had moved in and was hard to get a lure through them :ranting2: It took near all day to get him that fish but after dropping a few fish I hooked and gave him(2 were crackers)he hooked one on his own on a plastic he was working along the bottom.

post-3563-024704700 1314518206_thumb.jpg

It even took Richard all day, even Dave got one before him! :074:

Here was my best.

post-3563-013868100 1314518281_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregL

"G'day Kit

On this trip a jig in the rod holder worked, yesterday you had to slow wind it up 10m and the drop back and repeat to get bit. Working it like a soft plastic only resaulted in kooters :ranting2: stinking vermon!"

Hi Greg,

Thanks again for sharing your experience/expertise with the Lucanus jig.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft