Luringbream

Gamefishing trailerboats

Hey all,

Just wondering if any regular game fisho's can recommend a boat between 5.5m-6.5m which is capable of regularly fishing browns. I want something fairly spacious and designed for comfort in the ride etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Hope to see how this thread pans out as I am in the same position. It's pretty confusing due to choice. One thing I do know after going to Browns and beyond a few times this year is that ride and size is very important. Your on the money in the size range.

Mike

way too broad a question. pick out half a dozen types you like, and ask for the pro's and cons of each. There's about a hundred boats out there I'd take to Browns most weekends between 5.5 and 6.5m. I fish from a Barcrusher 560C and I love it but I know exactly how small a boat it is sometimes.

way too broad a question. pick out half a dozen types you like, and ask for the pro's and cons of each. There's about a hundred boats out there I'd take to Browns most weekends between 5.5 and 6.5m. I fish from a Barcrusher 560C and I love it but I know exactly how small a boat it is sometimes.

Thanks for the reply lineclass. The question was meant to be open for gamefisherman to state what they use and what they knowledge they have accumulated over the years through their own experience and through that of their peers. Hopefully some of that can be shared on this forum. For example, i'd really like to know more about your experiences of your barcrusher, how it performs and why you chose it over others?

fair enough. Mine is 2 years old, pushed by a 140 suzuki with over 600 hours on it so there wouldn't be too many who would be more familiar with these boats. I chose it for it's abilities in a variety of situations. Great boarding platform and dive ladder standard, stable at rest with the flow through ballast keel, light enough to be towed by anything, roof and windscreen drop for towing lowering profile. Size of cabin very good, lots of stowage, live bait tank, lots of rod holders and rocket launcher all standard. All the things that will tack on 10 grand through another make are standard. I got mine in Vic, direct, and Matt Urzia is a pleasure to deal with and will do anything to look after a client. For a tin can, they have an excellent ride and I can assure you that they can take almost anything on weather wise, I have had it out in terrible conditions fishing Portland, the kind of stuff where you're afraid to let go of the wheel for 6 hours straight and it was hairy, but she lapped it up. I had an owner of a 680 patriot say to me at the ramp he was amazed we made it in that day as his big beast nearly rolled many times and he thought they were done for but the little barcrusher lapped it up. She makes some noise, slapping etc, but that's all it is. As far as Browns goes, that's where we usually go lines in and keep going so you've got the range and safety you're after. Yesterday was a big day and we only went through 120L. And in a following sea, you've never seen a boat that keeps such a straight track. The easytow trailers are awesome too. I am not the most wealthy bloke, and tried to save some coin when purchasing and had the trim tabs not included. Big mistake. You can make do with shifting load, but they really do need trim tabs. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

But at the end of the day, it is only a 20ft tinnie, I make it do things that most wouldn't, and I get wet and sore doing it and love every minute.

I've got mates who've got or had just about every type of boat so feel free to PM me and I'll get some first hand info for you on other boats if I can

Dan

fair enough. Mine is 2 years old, pushed by a 140 suzuki with over 600 hours on it so there wouldn't be too many who would be more familiar with these boats. I chose it for it's abilities in a variety of situations. Great boarding platform and dive ladder standard, stable at rest with the flow through ballast keel, light enough to be towed by anything, roof and windscreen drop for towing lowering profile. Size of cabin very good, lots of stowage, live bait tank, lots of rod holders and rocket launcher all standard. All the things that will tack on 10 grand through another make are standard. I got mine in Vic, direct, and Matt Urzia is a pleasure to deal with and will do anything to look after a client. For a tin can, they have an excellent ride and I can assure you that they can take almost anything on weather wise, I have had it out in terrible conditions fishing Portland, the kind of stuff where you're afraid to let go of the wheel for 6 hours straight and it was hairy, but she lapped it up. I had an owner of a 680 patriot say to me at the ramp he was amazed we made it in that day as his big beast nearly rolled many times and he thought they were done for but the little barcrusher lapped it up. She makes some noise, slapping etc, but that's all it is. As far as Browns goes, that's where we usually go lines in and keep going so you've got the range and safety you're after. Yesterday was a big day and we only went through 120L. And in a following sea, you've never seen a boat that keeps such a straight track. The easytow trailers are awesome too. I am not the most wealthy bloke, and tried to save some coin when purchasing and had the trim tabs not included. Big mistake. You can make do with shifting load, but they really do need trim tabs. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

But at the end of the day, it is only a 20ft tinnie, I make it do things that most wouldn't, and I get wet and sore doing it and love every minute.

I've got mates who've got or had just about every type of boat so feel free to PM me and I'll get some first hand info for you on other boats if I can

Dan

Thanks Lineclass, thats just the sort of detailed description i was after :biggrin2: , i appreciate it. Another boat i am very interested in is the TABS ocean series, if you or anyone else has any info on this boat, it would be greatly appreciated.

I still am open to any other positive wrap on any other similar rigs.

Regards,

DAN

Hi

I am far from an expert but think about a seafarer victory. Six metres, high gunnels, ride really solid. To be honest not into the tin boats and the ride. I would look at glass options if your thinking about browns.

Dan there are plenty of good boats you can purchase in that size range, in either Ally ,Plate or Glass. In the end its how big is your back pocket and doesn't matter what everybody else thinks your the one thats got to be happy.

Goodluck with your choices.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

+1 for the TABS boats, quite a nice finish and heard many good reports about them from those that own them.

BarCrusher - when only the best will do and the budget doesn't extend to a Caribbean!

one hell of a harsh ride on the stabi's you'll need a knee replacement before the warranty runs out. They can't push through the waves the way a nice V would. Beam on they're fantastic, but when it comes to being underway, you'll wish you weren't.

one hell of a harsh ride on the stabi's you'll need a knee replacement before the warranty runs out. They can't push through the waves the way a nice V would. Beam on they're fantastic, but when it comes to being underway, you'll wish you weren't.

Oh wow, thanks for that info lineclass because ive had my eye on one for a while now.

I thought they would ride well due to the fact the V runs all the way to the back of the boat?

What sized stabi did you ride in and how big was the swell? also how was the stability?

Cheers, Predator

I love the Stabi. I have fished in a 16' for several years in NZ in some pretty nasty stuff and felt safe. We have got plenty of marlin and tuna from her. I have also done plenty of miles in a 20' Stabi and love the ride. It does seem strange as the flared tubes will seem to catch the waves rather than slice through like a standard V does. I would buy either a Stabi or Barcrusher in a heart beat depending on the cash in hand.

Best bet is to draw up the wish list. Length, storage, family facilities needed (toilet, bunks,cooker, radio), type of fishing and crew numbers, available cash to feed motor, size of car to tow. Glass and care maintenance required, Aluminium. Half cab, full cab with bunks, Centre console.

I like tin as it is more forgiving if pushed against the trailer in a cross swell at the ramp, lighter to tow needing smaller tow car, lighter to power needing less of a motor needing less fuel. Glass is nice as it is heavier and will give a softer ride and is warmer.

Happy hunting. Cheers Rowan

I love the Stabi. I have fished in a 16' for several years in NZ in some pretty nasty stuff and felt safe. We have got plenty of marlin and tuna from her. I have also done plenty of miles in a 20' Stabi and love the ride. It does seem strange as the flared tubes will seem to catch the waves rather than slice through like a standard V does. I would buy either a Stabi or Barcrusher in a heart beat depending on the cash in hand.

Best bet is to draw up the wish list. Length, storage, family facilities needed (toilet, bunks,cooker, radio), type of fishing and crew numbers, available cash to feed motor, size of car to tow. Glass and care maintenance required, Aluminium. Half cab, full cab with bunks, Centre console.

I like tin as it is more forgiving if pushed against the trailer in a cross swell at the ramp, lighter to tow needing smaller tow car, lighter to power needing less of a motor needing less fuel. Glass is nice as it is heavier and will give a softer ride and is warmer.

Happy hunting. Cheers Rowan

Thanks for the info Rowan,

Did the stabi 'feel' rigid? im assuming it would slam down pretty hard on them sponsons if caught the wrong wave. Did anything fall off? did you find any drawbacks to the stabi in comparison to other boats?

Cheers

If Ride's important (and heading out to browns and beyond.. it is!) I wouldn;t be looking at anything that isn't fibreglass...

Questions i've got.. What's you're towing capacity look like? and what's your budget?

No problem. The Stabi didn't feel rigid as such but has an unsual feeling as you come onto a wave.

The standard v hull cuts into it but as the round pontoons come into play there is a slowing down. The biggest draw back was the loss of internal room with the oval gunnals. This has been lessened by making them rectangular I believe. There was no slamming as the round top sides take the flat face impact off the wave. My own humble opinion would be a toss up between a Stabi or Barcrusher in tin. Glass is another whole ball game.

I must note that they are not the easiest to push with the rounded nose and hull but being 30miles off shore with a big beakie in a 16' with 2 big blokes in and all the gear it handled some nasty stuff with ease.

Best advise I was ever given. Narrow the hunt down to a hand full of boats and get them out in the worst sea you are comfortable in.

You can guarantee you will be out in worse and it is nice to know what possible issues there may be. Some with a deeper v are great in bigger seas but flop from side to side at rest-bad karma for sea sickness. Others may broach in a following sea -coming in over a bar = bad news. some lean into the wind while steaming-need trimtabs. Some have all the bells and whistles and look smick but are dogs on the water.

No problem. The Stabi didn't feel rigid as such but has an unsual feeling as you come onto a wave.

The standard v hull cuts into it but as the round pontoons come into play there is a slowing down. The biggest draw back was the loss of internal room with the oval gunnals. This has been lessened by making them rectangular I believe. There was no slamming as the round top sides take the flat face impact off the wave. My own humble opinion would be a toss up between a Stabi or Barcrusher in tin. Glass is another whole ball game.

I must note that they are not the easiest to push with the rounded nose and hull but being 30miles off shore with a big beakie in a 16' with 2 big blokes in and all the gear it handled some nasty stuff with ease.

Best advise I was ever given. Narrow the hunt down to a hand full of boats and get them out in the worst sea you are comfortable in.

You can guarantee you will be out in worse and it is nice to know what possible issues there may be. Some with a deeper v are great in bigger seas but flop from side to side at rest-bad karma for sea sickness. Others may broach in a following sea -coming in over a bar = bad news. some lean into the wind while steaming-need trimtabs. Some have all the bells and whistles and look smick but are dogs on the water.

Thanks again for this,

Ok so the million dollar question - which one would you choose given you had no budget.

And looking at a broard spectrum of coastal/offshore fishing in most sea conditions

Predator

Hi Predator,

No budget then I would go for a 720 or 620 Stabi with hard top. Twin 4 strokes or if a bigger Stabi then with a 200-250 hp diesel stern leg. Only if pulled out of the water each day. Legs hate salt.

Glass then something like the 8 m trophy or similar walk around. 720 Buccaneer or something along these lines.

No budget but size restrictions I would start at the Stabi then go to the Barcrusher as big as possible in hard top, or hard top walk around. Damm good to keep the weather where it belongs and stay dry and comfortable. The tabs have got a good name and also the White Pointer another big name in NZ built like a brick out house.

Cheers Rowan

A good mate of mine had a 620 stabi with twin 90 honda's on it and it was by far the worst riding boat I have ever been in!! it was wet as hell and rough as guts and the weather was ok too. That was the first and last time I accepted an invitation to go fishing with him.

I have my 255 Boston Whaler for sale and I have run out to browns and Heaton’s quite a few times with no worries, if you interested just pm and I will forward you all the details.

A good mate of mine had a 620 stabi with twin 90 honda's on it and it was by far the worst riding boat I have ever been in!! it was wet as hell and rough as guts and the weather was ok too. That was the first and last time I accepted an invitation to go fishing with him.

I have my 255 Boston Whaler for sale and I have run out to browns and Heaton’s quite a few times with no worries, if you interested just pm and I will forward you all the details.

Go the whaler!! That will get you out there pretty comfortably!!

Hi Predator,

No budget then I would go for a 720 or 620 Stabi with hard top. Twin 4 strokes or if a bigger Stabi then with a 200-250 hp diesel stern leg. Only if pulled out of the water each day. Legs hate salt.

Glass then something like the 8 m trophy or similar walk around. 720 Buccaneer or something along these lines.

No budget but size restrictions I would start at the Stabi then go to the Barcrusher as big as possible in hard top, or hard top walk around. Damm good to keep the weather where it belongs and stay dry and comfortable. The tabs have got a good name and also the White Pointer another big name in NZ built like a brick out house.

Cheers Rowan

If you were going to go Alloy make sure you look at Fisher boats. That would be my choice if I were going a platy.

I totally agree with the Stabi craft boats as being a harsh ride , Take the ricky martin cd and play she bangs , she bangs cause thats what they do . How big is your budget ? and what is your current tow car ? no point looking at a glass boat without a 4wd .

cheers John... :1fishing1: