LBG Kiama

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

Decided to re-live the good old days and headed off to some of mine and dads old land based game spots in Kiama in search of big kings

Even though i love fishing off my boat, i can never get sick of land based game

Headed off really early this morning to collect live bonito and slimeys off some of the stones near the weighing station.

Caught 2 bonito on a halco twisty in the 60gm size on the bait caster and caught a couple of slimeys on bait. No yakkas though?

Almost 3km walk to the spot (i dont really no how to describe how to get there so apologies, im not trying to be a hold out).

When i finally arrived (huffing and puffing and arms sore from hauling gear) i notied the water looked fairly ordinary. No whitewash, no activity e.t.c Ohwell i didnt drive 2 hours for nothing. Sent out a live bonito on the balloon...waited...nothing.

Switched to a slimey which was very lively and thankfully swam out a good distance,then bang! balloon goes under and line starts peeling. I count a couple of seconds to let the fish run and let the circle go down. Push the levefr drag and im on, doesnt feel to heavy (on 15kg stand up game tackle) doesnt really fight like a kingy though? it came in pretty quickly maybe 3 - 4 minutes, bring it to the rocks and just drag it out by the leader. I would say it went around 7kg.

Nowhere near the biggest for that spot but its still a nice king, i threw it back as it was fathers day and he probably had a wife and kids waiting for him :1prop: and already had dinner planned.

For the rest of the day nothing.

Then tonight i decide to head to maroubra for taylor and some big squid so get the surf gear out and drive 50km from my house to the rock platform.

On the way there not a trace of wind, even in botany and la perouse nothing. Then i open my door at maroubra, door flings open and its bloody hurricane katrina outside. I didnt drive all this way for nothing!, wind is blowing straihht in my face, i put my rod down to get a bait and it starts to blow away!! luckily i grabbed it, casted one out and a wave took it straight back in, line everywhere and in the dark its not fun and was just dangerous so i called it quits, went home and sulked : (

All in all was a good day, called Dad this morning and he was sick, would of been awesome if he joined but we will plan something soon.

No pics this time, i dont take the iphone when i go rock fishing or my camera for that fact as its too risky and they get scratched when shimmiying across rocks.

P.S. anyone got the day off tomorrow and fancy a fish? i got the day off work and dont want to let it go to waste, let me know

Hope you enjoy the read, Stan

ok ok lol the million dollar question - how to keep the livies alive.

You no those camping bags that you see back packers carry?

Ok picture a bucket with a lid inside that with an airator inside it.

I dont put to much water, so they dont stay alive for ages, as soon as i get to the spot i put the fish in a keeper net in one of the rock pools.

Its extremely difficult especially solo becuase one of us is usually the gaff man. and that man also carries some of the gear, but in the same bag im able to put tackle and a couple of lures.

I was so sore by the time i got there but was a good work out also.

About 9 years ago, we caught a 20kg specimen and we wanted to take it home, it made the trip back that much more difficult LOL

Let me no if you need more info

• 1 month later...

I think this website is more about sharing experiences and letting people know how the area fished rather than talking shit. It is after all a fishing report not a fishing novel.

Lol Stan your a crack up bro !!!

I think old mate was talking about your avatar pic, but yeah he's obviously trying to troll.

Anyways when you wanna hook up for a fish bro? Keep us updated

Cheers,

jez

"ok ok lol the million dollar question - how to keep the livies alive.

I dont put to much water, so they dont stay alive for ages, as soon as i get to the spot i put the fish in a keeper net in one of the rock pools."

Please mate, stop typing, your doing yourself no favours....

"ok ok lol the million dollar question - how to keep the livies alive.

I dont put to much water, so they dont stay alive for ages, as soon as i get to the spot i put the fish in a keeper net in one of the rock pools."

Please mate, stop typing, your doing yourself no favours....

You never carried your gear and livies and walked a few clicks to your fishing spots?

Me and my mates do it all the time when we fish La Pa golf club. Instead we walk through bush which is a bit of a mission as some of our rods are 1 piece and the tree's like to get them selves tanlged in them, or the other way around. Dont see a problem with walking a bucket full of livies a few clicks.

Cheers,

j

Edited by Mr.KingSpooled

ive seen (me personally) guys with 20L water tanks + aerators strapped to their backs, full of livies, navigate the ladders down to ledges at north head.

maybe not as big as 20Litres but they looked damn heavy.

Also how do people carry livies to the tubes etc at jervis bay ? I assume it would be similar.

once they get there out comes the kiddie pool and their all set

Edited by bennoz

ive seen (me personally) guys with 20L water tanks + aerators strapped to their backs, full of livies, navigate the ladders down to ledges at north head.

maybe not as big as 20Litres but they looked damn heavy.

Also how do people carry livies to the tubes etc at jarvis bay ? I assume it would be similar.

once they get there out comes the kiddie pool and their all set

Thats all fine, but not pelagic fish as live bait such as slimey mackeral or bonito. These species need ALOT of oxygen passing through their gills and need to be moving at high speed, hence why you will never see a tuna or a bontio hanging around a marker or pylon like some sort of wrasse or leatherjacket. Scads such as yellowtail and cowanyoung can be handled and transported in this way no worries.

When fish from the tuna species or closely related fish such as bonito are caught their fine scales go all over the place, the fish vibrates and goes spastic and dies quite suddenly, this is why tuna tubes and slimey tubes on game boats are the only real way to keep them alive as they force fresh saltwater through the gills continuously and even then, they dont always survive.

Musty

Buckets! You guys are doing it the hard way, portable tuna tubes are how all the serious LBGers are doing it now. I've set up my pack with 4 tubes made out of PVC. I use a 12v bilge to circulate the water through the enclosed system. Its great, no more camping out on the ledge through the night catching bait & bucketing water all night to keep my pool full of livies going. Sleep in, grab a few frigates at one of my spots on the way down, stuff em in the tubes, fill the overflow container turn the pump on plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car. Cruise down to the ledge. Get to the carpark, battery goes into the pack, pump changed to battery. HIke into the ledge & Im set. You should see all the Jerry's faces down at the Tubes when I rock up bright eyed & bushy tailed ready to go when they've been bucketing water all night :thumbup:

lol hey guys thanks for all the support.

Jez maybe we should take mistert01 for a fish and show him how we carry it.

my set up is extremely simple and as mentioned IN MY FIRST REPLY MISTERT01, THEY DONT STAY ALIVE FOR AGES. ARE YOU RETARTED?!

Its a bucket in a bag so i can carry it on my back. really small portable earator which doesnt help much due to not having much water in there. most of the time even the yakkas die after short while thats why u gota get em into a rock pool. When i use to hit the tubes with dad we would catch bonito there with the surf gear (float and a pillie on ganged hooks) and throw it straight out. Too scary trying to haul heaps of gear there. we do the same thing at royal national park in woolongong.

as for my avatar, whats your one 2 dots and the word pilchard? pretty sure that one was supplied LOL.

Besides, if you wanted to know how i did it all you had to do was ask :1prop:

Jez im good in 2 weeks. This week im takin a mate out for his birthday, next week im no good but the week after we can go jigging at the 12 mile and other reefs off my boat.

Guys,

I've had a fair few PM's asking me to show/explain how my portable Tuna Tube setup works. So here it is.

77367240.jpg

This pic is of the prototype, I've refined it a fair bit since. The funnels were just put in so I could gauge the water flow from the pump, once I was happy with the flow rate I replaced them with 2 litre coke bottles. I inverted the bottles & cut the bottom off & they worked really well, except they had to be replaced approx every two trips as the Frigates would basically destroy the bottles with all their thrashing. I now use pvc pipe with a threaded top that I can completely close with a lid. I've installed a tap & valve in the top & bottom of each pipe that I connected return lines to, I can also isolate a tube if I fail to catch four baits. You can see me in the background adding water to the bucket, which worked as a crude sump. This is now an enclosed container mounted to the bottom of the frame. It fits in my pack really well is is so much easier than carrying buckets. I always keep a roll of duct tape in my pack just in case she springs a leak, which happens from time to time.

Me thinks you two blokes are fishing in the wrong spot. You won't get any bites hear, just fisho's sharing some tips and yarns.

Maybe facebook would be more suited to what you two need.

Anyways, back on topic.

That tuna tube rig you have, I've seen one with two 5or 6 inch tube about 500 mm long on the sides with straps to be like a back pack and a pump to circulate between the two. How long do you think they would last? I know they are catching well away from where they end up fishing.

The reason i ask is, My live well on the boat is huge, but the fresh water pumps into the top. My little livies stay good for ages but the bigger ones (bonnies etc) loose movement pretty fast. So I'm thinking of simplifying so I'm not carrying so much water, and still keeping the bait alive.

lol hey guys thanks for all the support.

Jez maybe we should take mistert01 for a fish and show him how we carry it.

my set up is extremely simple and as mentioned IN MY FIRST REPLY MISTERT01, THEY DONT STAY ALIVE FOR AGES. ARE YOU RETARTED?!

Its a bucket in a bag so i can carry it on my back. really small portable earator which doesnt help much due to not having much water in there. most of the time even the yakkas die after short while thats why u gota get em into a rock pool. When i use to hit the tubes with dad we would catch bonito there with the surf gear (float and a pillie on ganged hooks) and throw it straight out. Too scary trying to haul heaps of gear there. we do the same thing at royal national park in woolongong.

as for my avatar, whats your one 2 dots and the word pilchard? pretty sure that one was supplied LOL.

Besides, if you wanted to know how i did it all you had to do was ask :1prop:

Jez im good in 2 weeks. This week im takin a mate out for his birthday, next week im no good but the week after we can go jigging at the 12 mile and other reefs off my boat.

Hey man,

Yeah sweet just keep us updated on the situation, keen as mustand to go offshore. Want to get into some real fish or atleast land some snapper for a feed lol.

Just PM me what you want me to bring e.g: bait,food,drinks,money for fuel etc etc. Got all my own boat gear so not to worry in that department.

Cheers Stan,

jez