Pittwater 21/6

Hit Pittwater early this morning hoping to get to go after some reported salmon with the fly. Unfortunately didnt see any at all. :thumbdown: Went to West Head and managed to get some yakkas and slimeys then headed out to Barrenjoey on the lookout for any salmon. No surface action so anchored up just outside the headland and for the next hour or so my mate and I had lots of fun catching slimeys and a lone just undersized snapper. Slimeys are heaps of fun to catch and go hard and although we didnt get any salmon, the slimeys kept us busy. Back into Pittwater and pulled in a squid then headed home. It was a great day on the water and we managed to have some fun.

Guest bluecod
Hit Pittwater early this morning hoping to get to go after some reported salmon with the fly.  Unfortunately didnt see any at all.  :thumbdown: Went to West Head and managed to get some yakkas and slimeys then headed out to Barrenjoey on the lookout for any salmon.  No surface action so anchored up just outside the headland and for the next hour or so my mate and I had lots of fun catching slimeys and a lone just undersized snapper.  Slimeys are heaps of fun to catch and go hard and although we didnt get any salmon, the slimeys kept us busy.  Back into Pittwater and pulled in a squid then headed home.  It was a great day on the water and we managed to have some fun.

52268[/snapback]

Narra,

Sounds like you had a bit of fun - were you getting the slimies on fly or bait?

Hope you kept some as salted slimey was working well for some of the Raiders out last night.

Guest bluecod
:1naughty:  :1naughty:  :1naughty:  :1naughty:

52271[/snapback]

This will probably bugger Narra's post but ... Pedro what sort of salt do you use?

Butcher's salt or just plain old cooking salt ..... sorry Ken!

.  Slimeys are heaps of fun to catch and go hard and although we didnt get any salmon, the slimeys kept us busy. 

52268[/snapback]

Sounds like you had a slimy day Ken :1clap: .

We came across a big school of slimies in the harbour about 2 months ago, and we started chucking out our 3" Bass minnows and to my surprise they seem to love it. They go hard on your bream rods, good fun, loosen your drag a little bit and you'll have more fun ! They're not bad eating fish too... although some people say they are only good for baits.

What were you using to catch them mate ?

cheers,

Mario

Bluecod,

read your reports from last night, if I had thermal underwear or knew Joe was taking his blowtorch I would have been there...well maybe not. Give me a call when you get a chance soon, we'll go and have a fly session! I'm away at the School's Activity Week, Fishing Club at Port Hacking, so maybe in 2 weeks time.

As for Pedro,

nice tailor, was that caught after Iain's "natural" burley went overboard?

Peter,

the salmon or lack of them were very frustrating today. I had my fly rod all prepared and hoping for a repeat of when I caught my first one with you last year. Not to worry, thats fishing and I'll keep going and hopefully will one day turn up one day soon and see Pittwater frothing from the schools of salmon busting up the surrface.

Mario,

we had a fun slimey day, caught mainly on cut up yakka baits, but I have caught some on bass minnows as well down at Botany and it was heaps of fun.

Guest bluecod
Pedro must have gone nigh-nights after last nights snore-fest. Last lot I bought was called flossy salt or some such. Got it in a 5kg bag from Campbells'a & its lasted me about 3 years so far but only about 1/2kg left at the  moment.

52278[/snapback]

Thanks Darryl - I know the type :wife::ranting2:

Ken - As soon as we've finished clearing out and relocated all items - looks like I've just picked up another #10 fly line, a floater this time, so we'll have to have a run at the sambos.

The Salmon came outin the arvo, and where everywhere between west head, barrenjoey and lion island but geez do you think i could tempt them 5 gram halcos, SPs etc. The bait they are feeding on is tiny (so are the salmon). Might have another crack this arvo.

cheers

Ben

:1welcomeani: Ben. The little 7 gram River2Sea "Searocks" have been effective for me when they refuse other metals. Tossing a large metal can also work better than little ones at times.

Or then there is the fly rod :biggrin2:

:1welcomeani:  Ben. The little 7 gram River2Sea "Searocks" have been effective for me when they refuse other metals. Tossing a large metal can also work better than little ones at times.

Or then there is the fly rod  :biggrin2:

52310[/snapback]

When u do use the R2S Searock Ken, what colour do you use?

On Sunday I trolled one average Kawahi up north of the bay on a cd7 but couldnt find them consistently

Horse Slimeys are everywhere outside ATM couldnt get bottom baits down all day

would feed a chunk of slimey out only to watch it get nabbed 5ft under the boat by yet another silver torpedo. this happened everywhere I fished.Excellent size though some would have choked a shark of which I saw one small model.

Ive got a freezer full of bait and burley now though.

On Sunday I trolled one average Kawahi up north of the bay on a cd7 but couldnt find them consistently

Horse Slimeys are everywhere outside ATM couldnt get bottom baits down all day

would feed a chunk of  slimey out only to watch it get nabbed 5ft under the boat by yet another silver torpedo. this happened everywhere I fished.Excellent size though some would have choked a shark of which I saw one small model.

Ive got a freezer full of bait and burley now though.

52358[/snapback]

yep the same this way allen a sh!^ load out there but i have bait . for a few weeks :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Just on the question of what salt to use, I would like to ask why? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it seems you guys use it to get the bait ready, is that right? Salting up slimeys to get ready for bait, if that is the case, can someone let me know the process. Iv'e used slimeys for fresh bait, but I take it you salt them first then freeze them.

I agree Alan, there are a heap of slimeys out there and they are pretty big alright, I'd imagine they are good bait size for the marlin fishos out there, although the season is over. I'll have to try them on fly next time, I had it in the boat, but didnt even think of having a fling for them.

Darryl, Peter did look like he was quite pleased with that tailor. I suspected it was the morning after as you guys look like recovery has taken place. Nice tailor anyhow and on a HB as well, good going Peter.

Pedro,

we are having a couple of slimey fillets tonight Japanese style, wife's from Japan. had them before and they are a good feed, like yakkas, just need to cook them filleted, lightly fried, bit of salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice or soya sauce, mmmmmm. What we dont use for bait I always bring home for a feed.

Andy, I was almost going to go out this morning, but went surfing instead and saw birds working just out the back at DY. Also saw a pod of dolphins, I suspect rounding up salmon :ranting2::ranting2: I've just gotta get me into a frothing school of salmon soon. Missed them yesterday arvo, missed them this morning, my chances have gotta improve. Thank goodness I have a week down at the Port the week after next, chances will be good then.

cheers

Guest bluecod
Just on the question of what salt to use, I would like to ask why?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it seems you guys use it to get the bait ready, is that right?  Salting up slimeys to get ready for bait, if that is the case, can someone let me know the process.  Iv'e used slimeys for fresh bait, but I take it you salt them first then freeze them.

52391[/snapback]

Ken,

The salt toughens them up so they don't fall to pieces on your hook.

For whole fish I saturate water with the salt [no more salt will readily dissolve] then soak the fish in the brine overnight, drain off and pack into freezer bags.

For fillets I place them skin side down on trays and cover with a layer of salt - put them in the outside fridge for a few days [draining the juices into a separate container every day] then pack them into freezer bags and freeze.

This time of year bream absolutely love a salted bait and it will often outfish other baits.

Nothing wrong at all with a fried yakka - just like trevally :biggrin2:

Edited by bluecod

I used the ones that are a brown colour on the back - not sure of the proper name or colour code.

52350[/snapback]

Thanks Ken, I just had a look at mine and mine is the one with the blue tint on its back. Oh well, at least now I know how I can use the lure...

Ken,

they had a stack down at Ottos, but they all seemed to be just different coloured versions of the SX-40, no 306s or 313s. I looked on the boxes for any serials or numbers?? Anyhow, I ended up buying 2, one in a natural colour and the other with kind of tiger stripes. They look good, cant wait to use them.

cheers