Ginger Shallot Steam Fish

GOOS

This is one for fish that are not so heavy in flavor.

Eg. This recipe will suit most white flesh light flavoured species such as bream, flatties, whiting, perch, jews....

but terrible for them heavy flavored fish such as salmon, black fish, tuna...

Recommended fish: Barra, trout, red cod, flathead.

need: Massive steamer than can fit a large plate and enough room to take the plate in and out without tipping (this is essential)

ingredients: fish, ginger, shallots, light soy sauce, sugar, cooking wine, salt, balsamic viniger, sesame oil.

Step 1: scale, clean, and pat dry the fish. leave fish a whole if possible, trim off bits you won't eat only if it won't fit in the steamer)

Step 2: this is a good time to turn on the heat and get the water in the steamer boiling so that when the fish goes in it's already at temp.

wet your clean hands and rub some salt on them. now rub your hands together untill starts to foam up a bit. spread this all over the fish. careful not to use too much salt as we still have to add soysauce later. place fish on plate.

Slick ginger into stips, place under, inside and on top of the fish. sprinkle good amount of chopped shallots and drizzle a tiny bit of sesame oil on top.

place the plate into the hot steamer. and cook for 15min (20min larger fish)

step 3: while the fish is cooking, add following ingredients into a bowl: 1 full shot glass of soysauce, half shot glass of sugar, 1/3 shot glass of cooking wine, 1 small spoon of balsamic vinegar. mix well until sugar has dissolved. put the sauce mixture aside.

step 4: take fish out and try not to tilt the plate too much, we need to retain some of the juice that came out of the fish... once you have the plate out, keep 1 shot glass of the natural juice and discard the rest, mix this juice into the sauce mix. Now, pour all the mixture over the fish and sprinkle some more fresh chopped shallots and ginger on the cooked fish for decoration.

Step 5: This step requires attention and timing! or you will start a fire!

heat 1and1/2 shot glass of some good quality vegetable oil in a saucepan, get it to very high temperature, to the point when you start seeing smoke. at this point, swiftly pour the hot oil all over the fish. this will sizzle up!

Step 6: (my mum skips this bit bcuz she likes the oil) I always let it sit for a bit, then spoon the top layer of oil out. Enjoy!

Serve.

ps. i wrote this at work so the picture is from google images (not mine) but it's almost as close ;P

post-11695-092868500 1315974189_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOOS

Nice one Goo

My fave way to eat fresh fish for sure and the best way to eat bream!

You can do the same with larger fish in the oven or BBQ by placing the fish in a al foil pocket that you can fold yourself.(double over foil for strength and place on a oven tray) Works perfect for snappers. Just make sure the pocket is sealed and there is space inside to create a steam chamber. The fish need around 18-20min per kilo cooking time this way at 180 degree.

I have done fillets like this as well but do find the fish tastes better cooked whole. I was lucky enough to catch some coral trout in QLD last trip, back at the guides house I cooked up the trout fillets like this, some steamed veg and rice, yeah baby! :thumbup: