Rod for Tiagra 12

i have a tig12 but dont have braid on it ,but i do have a 20 with braid and a top shot of mono,ive found there is a spot of corosion at the outer level of the braid on the spool,it seems as the braid stays wet,ive never had a corosion issue with any other just the one with braid on it,so that would be something to keep an eye on

• 4 months later...

Recently purchased a Tiagra 12 filled it up with #50 braid. Main use will be live baiting for kings and the like.

Now i need a rod to match!! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

The first thing, probably the main thing, is to decide on the drag you will be running on the reel. As you have 50lb braid you probably want to set the "strike" drag to around 15lb. That should be fine, as that will stop most Kingies (and most other stuff as well).

If you plan to do any travelling, you might want to consider the Shimano T-Curve Revolution Offshore Travel - 583 Game, model REVT583GAME (Rated 15Kg to 24Kg). I've just bought three of them, and while I haven't yet put them to the test, I'm very impressed with the rod. I plan to fish them in Mexico where we get some big Yellowfin tuna, and I think they will stand up to it very well. This rod gives you the versatility to take it anywhere without having to mess with, and pay for, a rod tube. Also the price is very good for a rod of this type. You'll find them fairly easily for around $200 or a bit more. And they're designed by Ian Miller, who knows a thing or two about rod design.

Good luck