New Alvey Luderick reel.475CP

squidda

Got it today, a damn nice reel. Spins 10x faster and smoother then the plastic alvey Blackie reels. Don't see the point paying double for a english reel that isn't suited for our conditions, and now there's one in the same league if not better for under half. Will hopefully be able to punish it over the weekend and see how it goes.

Seen them as low as $200 lads and they are worth it, the price of top notch English centrepins exceed $500 and they are not even made for the salt or have ball bearings! Though IMHO a true pin on a spindle is as good as any ball bearing!

$200 is a bargin.If they are as good as they look.Yes a true pin is a beautiful bit of gear.I own 7 Avons,5 Steelites,2 Shakespeares and a couple of cottage industry pins and love them all.But spindles do wear.Bearings are easy to replace if need be.I think its great that alvey have designed such a reel for aussie conditions.Cant wait to give it a spin! :yahoo:

He ySquidda know what you meean on the spindle though my old mate who sells vintage pins in the UK says the Grice and Young reels would come out of the factory wit ha wobble whereas the Trudex would take months if not years to bed in and run to its tru optimum I have a Rapidex and Trudex both 50 yrs plus old still brand new and the ywill take some fishing to gethem running fast the tolerance on these things is incredible I have a couple of the Gaey Mills pins and thyeare made for salt and damn they are nice! As for the Alvey I like the look will get one eventually but think someone was looking at an Okuma when they designed it! Still like true pins over ball bearing pis its just a feel thing knowing its wearing with age and use just like the owner! They end as rough and ready as the owner! :wacko:

The disappointing thing with them is the "made in china" sticker on the box, not the usual "made in Australia" one on other alveys.

How do they differ from the Okuma Aventa if at all ? I think they look a bit nicer, but haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

Matt

He ySquidda know what you meean on the spindle though my old mate who sells vintage pins in the UK says the Grice and Young reels would come out of the factory wit ha wobble whereas the Trudex would take months if not years to bed in and run to its tru optimum I have a Rapidex and Trudex both 50 yrs plus old still brand new and the ywill take some fishing to gethem running fast the tolerance on these things is incredible I have a couple of the Gaey Mills pins and thyeare made for salt and damn they are nice! As for the Alvey I like the look will get one eventually but think someone was looking at an Okuma when they designed it! Still like true pins over ball bearing pis its just a feel thing knowing its wearing with age and use just like the owner! They end as rough and ready as the owner! :wacko:

Do you know of anyone who can make spindals for old pins?If i could find someone to make some i would replace at least 4 spindals on my Avons.They are my favourite.Havnt had the chance to buy an original Trudex.Missed one on online shop last year by minutes!!The old pins are a special thing for sure.Bit of a bugger to find out the new Alveys are made in china.Not really surprised but.Makes the aussie made "HANDCRAFTED REELS" centerpin good value for $180!

Cheers Dan.

Do you know of anyone who can make spindals for old pins?If i could find someone to make some i would replace at least 4 spindals on my Avons.They are my favourite.Havnt had the chance to buy an original Trudex.Missed one on online shop last year by minutes!!The old pins are a special thing for sure.Bit of a bugger to find out the new Alveys are made in china.Not really surprised but.Makes the aussie made "HANDCRAFTED REELS" centerpin good value for $180!

Cheers Dan.

Which Avons do you have Squidda ? I'm a G&Y fan as well, I on the other hand need a new spindle for a Youngs Purist. I had a fitter make one for me some years back, but it is a very precision thing a centrepin spindle. The reason I ask which Avons you have is that they may have the same spindle as the Shakespeare Eagles. AR Supreme 3 is different but if you have an Avon MK3 then the spindle may be the same as the Shakespeare. Shakespeare still sell them, so you can probably buy the spindle as a part, long shot, but worth investigating.

Matt

Which Avons do you have Squidda ? I'm a G&Y fan as well, I on the other hand need a new spindle for a Youngs Purist. I had a fitter make one for me some years back, but it is a very precision thing a centrepin spindle. The reason I ask which Avons you have is that they may have the same spindle as the Shakespeare Eagles. AR Supreme 3 is different but if you have an Avon MK3 then the spindle may be the same as the Shakespeare. Shakespeare still sell them, so you can probably buy the spindle as a part, long shot, but worth investigating.

Matt

Thanks for the info mate.Will check out the Shakespeare spindals.

Matt, Dan,

Spindles if yo uwant to pay for top work then send to Gary Mills in the UK of Mill tackle he is the ex J w Youngs assembly mamnger and has a very good rep his handmade pins are exquisite up there with Ricahrd Carters! Matt your Youngs purist should not need a new spindle if it is a ball bearing model if it is a true pin runing on a bush then Gary is your man.

A common misconception is that it is the spindl that wears not always in 90 percent odf the cases it is the bush that wears and elongates most likely they need a new bush the only part that wears on the spindle is the nose where the screw sits to adjust the spool. The spindles are usually made of very hard machined tool grade steel. On a sid enote Dad would tell me of exact copies of Avons being made in Railway workshops and out at Qantas,those ones from the Qantas worker you could buy then at South Sydney Bait and Tackle. Wish I had!

Unfortunatly Grice and Young then Shakespeare pins had a reputation for getting a wobble very quickly in later years, the older the Grice and Young ther ebtter the bush and spindle the very early ones with the three screw cap and aluminium check button or those with a check lever are great, those being the very early D'Or Crown and Royals.

Matt I have a copy of Rosewood to Revolution the story of the centrepin if you want it to research pins. I know you have an addiction!

As for the Alvey well it looks nicer than the aventa but then it looks like some of the top end end okuma pins like the Kennet, Trent and Sheffield! I would love to know who designed it! It has borrowed very heavily from English traditon along the lines of the Adcock Stanton and Arnold Kingpin!

Sorry for the long winded reply but centrepins are one thing I can rave on about!

Thanks for the info Luderick Angler.Great to know there are other centerpin freaks out there :thumbup: I am only a amateur in the collecting department but i am getting there!I picked up a copy avon last year.i think it was one of the Port Macquerie made reels.Still in good condition but a bit heavy.i would have loved to have seen the qantas reels!Think i will grab one of the new alvey pins anyway.Can never have to many reels!In your own opinion Luderick Angler what would be the best true centerpin avalible today for aussie blackfishing?

Dan,

theres too many to choose from but my top three vintage non ball bearing would be Trudex black finish), Allcocks Match Ariel, Seldex (black finish)- all J W Young which was their anti coorosion finish to deal with light salt/brackish water a vey close contemder would be the older Grice and Young reels with the aluminium check I have one in Grey hammertone with the three screww hub and it has no name on the back! Belongrdto Dad and retains 80 percent of the finish, the Goden Eagle all metal ain't too bad designed for light float fishing on rivers! I know Macman will most likely come in to bat for G&Y and I was once a big fan of theirs until Dad gifted me his original Rapidex from J W Young then I was hooked andhad to have a Trudex then an Aerial and it began! My top three modern reels bush or ball bearing would be the Trudex Mk2 (sadly discontinued but well worth trying to find one!) I have two! Then the Okuma Aventa followed by the Arnold Kingpin, the Youngs Purist range are good but the quality in the last 5 years has declinedI have some of the original Purist reels from the late 90's early 2000's when they were still made in the UK under J W Youngs. BTW those powder green Avon Copys are brilliant I have one and yes trifle heavy but very salt resistant! Those handcrafted rels are nice build but not my cup of tea as they have to many drawbacks to make them aclassic pin, especially the spool release system its a dog!

Attaced in order

Allcocks Match Aerial

Trudex Mk2

More to follow

post-5131-054987300 1317895348_thumb.jpg

post-5131-013343400 1317895409_thumb.jpg

And lastly two workhorses and Avon Royal mk2 deep spool andthe all metal Golden Eagle!

Thats only half the collection Dan! But it will give you an idea of the range of pin's outthere and the fact there are only a few diehards like Matt and myself that know centrepins inside out I recently came acrossanother pin on the net I did not knowexisted it was a variant of the Rapidex made for another company by JW Young! They werenotorious for this example the Edgar Sealy Float King is a rebadged Trudex in a different colour scheme, the Allcocks Match Aerial is in fact a JW Young made reel for Allccks they were one of Englands biggest manufacturers of centrepins for close on 70 years until bought out by Norris Shakespeare!

post-5131-094310700 1317897349_thumb.jpg

post-5131-040549900 1317897388_thumb.jpg

And lastly two workhorses and Avon Royal mk2 deep spool andthe all metal Golden Eagle!

Thats only half the collection Dan! But it will give you an idea of the range of pin's outthere and the fact there are only a few diehards like Matt and myself that know centrepins inside out I recently came acrossanother pin on the net I did not knowexisted it was a variant of the Rapidex made for another company by JW Young! They werenotorious for this example the Edgar Sealy Float King is a rebadged Trudex in a different colour scheme, the Allcocks Match Aerial is in fact a JW Young made reel for Allccks they were one of Englands biggest manufacturers of centrepins for close on 70 years until bought out by Norris Shakespeare!

For my money I think the best all round reel for australian conditions is the Grice and Young Avon Royal 3. Royces Avon Royal 2 above is the 3.5 inch version, I have one and its too small for most work.

The Avon Royal 3 is the exact same reel as the Gypsy D'or, they made the Avon Royal 3 from 1974 onwards and it replaced the Gypsy D'or, both reels are 4.5 x 5/8 inch and have a button operated ratchet switch.

I can't comment on the Trudex/Rapidex for Aussie conditions, I would like to buy one of both at some stage. But, I do own a Youngs Purist and it just wasn't up to the conditions, a beautiful reel, but not very corrosion resistant, just not built for saltwater use.

My favourite reel is the G&Y Golden Eagle with the plastic backplate (the mark of one of the later G&Y reels) and the rim mounted lever operated ratchet switch. The spool is the exact same as the Avon Royal 3, the charactertic vented spool you see on Royces Golden Eagle above, its light and runs beautifully.

The other good one for Aussie conditions is the Avon Crown, it is superior to the original Avon Royal becasue it is a 4.5 inch model compared to the original Avon Royal which is 3.5 inch. YOu can buy a nearly mint one of these for 50m bucks on online shop. Good hunting.

Matt

For my money I think the best all round reel for australian conditions is the Grice and Young Avon Royal 3. Royces Avon Royal 2 above is the 3.5 inch version, I have one and its too small for most work.

The Avon Royal 3 is the exact same reel as the Gypsy D'or, they made the Avon Royal 3 from 1974 onwards and it replaced the Gypsy D'or, both reels are 4.5 x 5/8 inch and have a button operated ratchet switch.

I can't comment on the Trudex/Rapidex for Aussie conditions, I would like to buy one of both at some stage. But, I do own a Youngs Purist and it just wasn't up to the conditions, a beautiful reel, but not very corrosion resistant, just not built for saltwater use.

My favourite reel is the G&Y Golden Eagle with the plastic backplate (the mark of one of the later G&Y reels) and the rim mounted lever operated ratchet switch. The spool is the exact same as the Avon Royal 3, the charactertic vented spool you see on Royces Golden Eagle above, its light and runs beautifully.

The other good one for Aussie conditions is the Avon Crown, it is superior to the original Avon Royal becasue it is a 4.5 inch model compared to the original Avon Royal which is 3.5 inch. YOu can buy a nearly mint one of these for 50m bucks on online shop. Good hunting.

Matt

BTW Royce, the spindle on the Purist 2040 needed replacing because the f**cker snapped off below the retaining spring about 10 years ago, I had a fitter make one for me, but its pretty second rate.

Matt,

Rapidex are a dime a dozen at the moment , but that bloody cage can be a pain to cast with and you get the occasional birds nest! Trudex are abit scarce at the moment but also look for Allcocks Match Special, Milwards float master and Edgar Sealy float king all rebadged versions of Trudex! some of the UK tackle stores may have a Trudex MK2 floating around. I know of a few guys now purchasing the Trudex for estuary work as they are 4 inch and a little small for the rocks. Interestingly Matt the ynever marketed the Avon royal 3 or 2 as such in the UK it was alaways the gypsy, Crown or Matchmaker except for the supreme random huh!

Here are two of my favourites, the Avon Royal Supreme 3 and the Golden Eagle (Later model than Royces with the placcy back) Model Sticker is missing

My go to reel is still the Okuma Aventa, IMHO the best value and best performing centrepin around. And the Alvey 475B is still the hardiest and best all round rock platform reel available.

Matt

post-21-018453200 1317972956_thumb.jpg

post-21-077189200 1317972975_thumb.jpg

post-21-017149000 1317973088_thumb.jpg

post-21-040090600 1317973117_thumb.jpg

Matt and Royce,

thanks heaps for the info.great advice from a couple of serious collectors.I tried to put some photos of my Avons and other pins up but cant workout how to do it?Found a local fitter to have a crack at making a bush and spindal for one of the avons.Also getting it powder coated.Hopefully like new!!!Thanks again for all the tips.All pumped up to go for a blackie session asap.

cheers Dan.

Matt you want some old Avon spools in various sttes of disrepair! Let me know!

And nothing wrong with the old Avon Royal was my first reel at age 5! Still have it and still occasionally gets out but seeing it was Dads and he has passed away I am a little reluctantto use it full time here it is a rarer blue handled job!

post-5131-017332200 1317988547_thumb.jpg

post-5131-044288500 1317988584_thumb.jpg

Worked out the photo thing!Just a few of the collection.A couple more Avons still at Mum and Dads down south.Rebuilding another at moment.Should be done soon.Would love to know how many fish these old reels have washed out in there life so far!!

post-17995-092453100 1318031683_thumb.jpg