New Alvey Luderick reel.475CP

squidda

Very nice good job on the handles Dan!

BTW nice 3 nad 5/8 Avon Crown you have there perfect estuary reel!

Thanks!I like tinkering in the shed!The handles on Avons are a week point if not maintained.Easy to convert.Love that little reel.Will keep it for the kids!Will keep trawling online shop for one of them Trudex i think!!

As I said to Matt they are pretty scarce at the moment every one seems to want one here and in the UK I know of two other mad keen blackfishers thta have goneand got them after seeing mine! Theres about 6 of hem on online shop UK at the moment but be careful and make sure you ask the question are there no dings in the spools is the spool free of deformities IE its not warped or buckled and does it spin true and without wobble as well as making sure the handles are okay. Then if that all checks out bid away!

As I said to Matt they are pretty scarce at the moment every one seems to want one here and in the UK I know of two other mad keen blackfishers thta have goneand got them after seeing mine! Theres about 6 of hem on online shop UK at the moment but be careful and make sure you ask the question are there no dings in the spools is the spool free of deformities IE its not warped or buckled and does it spin true and without wobble as well as making sure the handles are okay. Then if that all checks out bid away!

We seem to have well and truly highjacked the original post, sorry about that.

Dan any chance you can put up some more photos of the backs and fronts of your reels. I'd love to know a little more. Also I was under impression that if you had a 3.5 inch originalrim switch then it was an Avon Royal and the 4.5 inch was the Avon Crown.

Matt

Matt,

I had one thta was badged the crown in 3 and 5/8 it ids now with my cousin will get a pic for you but you are right the Crown is the 4 and 5/8 interestingly both had a crown stamped on the back who knows they did some random stuff some nice reel on online shop UK right now a good narrow drum D'or red handles and a nice Mk3 supreme blue handles.

Oh and yes sorry about the hijack!

We seem to have well and truly highjacked the original post, sorry about that.

Dan any chance you can put up some more photos of the backs and fronts of your reels. I'd love to know a little more. Also I was under impression that if you had a 3.5 inch originalrim switch then it was an Avon Royal and the 4.5 inch was the Avon Crown.

Matt

No worries Matt.Will try and get some pics up asap.Any info on them will be great.

I'd buy that Gypsy D'or if I didn't think I'd be gutted like a fresh blackfish for buying another pin :)

So, did G&Y sell an Avon Royal MK2 or MK3 in UK ? I had presumed that they stopped marking the reels with Gypsy D'or in around 1972 maybe and started marking them with Avon Royal Mk2 and MK3. The blue handles must be a post 1974 thing, have a look at the Av ROyal Supreme on you know where, it has blue handles and marked with Dorset on the roundel and the box, ie it is post 1974. I would guess that your reel above would also be from around the same time. Later still they started putting the roundels on the Avon Royal MK2 and MK3 ie late 70s. I would really love to know if this is correct, or if it is just that AVon Royal MK2 and MK3 were only marketed into Australia. It doesn't seem likely though.

Matt

Matt,

Through some discussion with a UK friend I have established the Avon Royal as we kno it was sold there but not as popular as the supreme, the round labels thtaare transfers were from earlier reels or applied to supremes the stamped models were later why you don't see many royals in the UK is a mystery, the only royals you see are the early grey mk2's withthe holes in the front, later reels post metal backs you see marketed as the matchmaker! I mean with G&Y for all intents and purposes they are nearly one and the same reel, then there's the Avon Royal Eagle! have alater mode D'or with a 1 inch ide spool and the pearl handles and heavy duty spindle. I really can't be definitive about G&Y reels, I will have a chat to Graham and see if there is any definitive literatureon their reels for you.

That D'or is nice and if I had the money!!!! Though there is a near mint black Trudex as well......yes being gutted does come to mind!!!! :wacko:

• 4 years later...