Soft plastics + Lure clip

swong

I know that lure clips can be used for hardbodies, but i was wondering it anyone uses them with soft plastics?

i tried it today but with no bites to report - but no idea if it was just a bad day, or it genuinely doesnt work. . .when i checked it in the shallow water, it seemed to swim properly so that doesnt seem to be the issue.

All the info i've read about plastics point to directly tying the line to the jig, but dont specifically mention NOT to use a lure clip.

(obviously the appeal of a lure clip is easily being able to change jig heads quickly)

I personally dont like the idea of it but people do use them with success

I recon i could tie a head on faster than uncliping and clipping on a small clip anyways and i think re doing the knot is a little more insurance as at least you know the fresh line is not worn

I used to use clips all the time. Caught flat head mostly. But after I stopped using the clip I started to get more bream bite's. Sometimes the little things make a difference i guess. I remember My uncle and I went fishing for slimey's one day, he caught 17 and i caught nothing, the only difference between his set up and mine was a small black swivel I used as a float stopper. He is a fisherman by trade so i guess he knows his stuff. Sorry for the long story, but for me personally i had better success without clips.

Reeseman.

ive had sucess with SP and clips, but not directly together.

use a perfection or rapala knot and tie a leader to the jig head. tie a loop at the other end of a (30cm ish) leader and use that to connect to the clip

with leaders tied to all your Sp you can still swap em quickly if needed

• 3 weeks later...

I use clips quite often with SP's since I came across the nasty problem of the knot coming undone without a clip. It must be something to do with the jigging action and doesn't happen with a clip. I don't think a small clip stops reduces my strike rate.

I know that lure clips can be used for hardbodies, but i was wondering it anyone uses them with soft plastics?

i tried it today but with no bites to report - but no idea if it was just a bad day, or it genuinely doesnt work. . .when i checked it in the shallow water, it seemed to swim properly so that doesnt seem to be the issue.

All the info i've read about plastics point to directly tying the line to the jig, but dont specifically mention NOT to use a lure clip.

(obviously the appeal of a lure clip is easily being able to change jig heads quickly)

Mate I wouldnt recommend it. SP fishing is about finnesse, putting a metal clip in the lures face (and in the fishes face) probably not a good idea. Fish hang onto SP's because they feel like real fish. Put a peice of metal on there and they will know the difference. Im not saying you cant catch fish with a metal clip, but definately no clip will be better.

Hope this helps,

Stan

• 2 months later...