Carbon Tax passed in lower house

Catchin Jack

Also, I think for the first 2 years, the government is subsidising the Carbon Tax through personal income tax reductions, grants to pollutors and handouts in the budget. The net effect is the pollutors get to collect the tax from consumers, the government reimburses most of us (give or take), and also pays the pollutors, so the companies get to pocket the tax and use it to reduce emissions (in theory). If they don't their idiots because when the trading scheme comes in to play and government subsidies run out, their overheads will blow out and they'll become uncompetitive.

So, by that, the polluters get a hand out, and the already ambitious don't?

And you do point out one of many floors. They will collect handouts, and have 2 years to prepare off shore manufacturing. I know what I would be doing!

I won't get any handouts, as I'm just over that threshold. I got my elec bill yesterday, and it states I made 3300kg of c02. That's about $75 for the quarter(based on 23/t) and that's only one element of my life. Add a little bit of tax to everything I do, and whamo! I'm alot worse off, dodgy operators and bankers/brokers are getting filthy rich in the name of saving the world, and we (you too!) will be funding it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one EmptyHooks, so the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and nothing changes, love it.

All driven by GREED imho.

This simply isnt true. Independent modelling indicates that the average household will be $2.40 better off, poorer house holds will be better off still.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/families-to-get-more-cash-from-carbon-scheme-20111018-1lyt8.html

This simply isnt true. Independent modelling indicates that the average household will be $2.40 better off, poorer house holds will be better off still.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/families-to-get-more-cash-from-carbon-scheme-20111018-1lyt8.html

Such models are based on many assumptions. Take a class of mathematics and it is very easy to see how you can manipulate figures to meet a particular purpose. How else would Wayne Swan have won his little prize after blowing all the Liberal savings during an economic rough patch and bringing two deficit budgets.

I can't even buy a pack of chips for $2.40. So that figure in itself is just stupid.

The top banner on the government's official website "clean energy future" (http://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/) is....

wait for it......

"HOW MUCH DO I GET"

I am sorry, but what the hell is that? So much for the environment...... Oh that gets a mention somewhere down the page.

As I and others have mentioned there are various actions that can be taken to reduce emmissions. But the government won't get anything out of them, so naturally they have kept clear of them. Those who believe this is a genuine bid for the benefit of the environement need to get out of fantasy land.