Pejar Dam ....Crookwell

I decided to go and try Pejar again after our last mediocre attempt which ended in one hook-up but a spat hook.

Smitty and Reggie Rabbit met me at my joint at 3 am and we headded off full of excitement although pretty tired.

We arrived at Pejar with the mercury on "0" :frozen: and straight into the waders and in I go with the fly rodarmed with a craigs nightime...looks like a mudeye imitation and proceeded to flog the water to death for an hour with no hits.The sun started to peak its head up and out came the trusty spin gear with pink tassies and celtas as our chosen lures and we flogged the water to death for 2 more hours with no hits :angry: so I said to the boys we might try a different spot and they both couldnt get in the car fast enough.

Got to a little finger of land and hopped out with the sun now shining brightly and Reggie almost shit himself when he nearly trod on a 5ft brown snake but lucky for him someone had already wacked it one and it wasnt gunna bite anyone.We cast and cast and was going to call it a day when my trusty old pink tassie gets wacked and I am ON !! thank god as the drive home would have seen me ranting and raving about shit spots :mfr_lol: The male rainbow gave a really good account of himself and to my amazement he has been hooked and lost before.I decided to keep this one for Donna to try and on opening his stomach he had 4 mudeyes inside that were cuaght only hours before and a hook,just goes to show that the fish do not worry about a hook in their stomach when they are hunting.

post-256-054383900 1318831099_thumb.jpg

post-256-004438800 1318831103_thumb.jpg

post-256-033293700 1318831108_thumb.jpg

Gave it away after another hour without anymore action and I was pretty dissapointed with no surface action at all from the time we got there to the time we home.

Thanks for a top day out fellas and for staying awake to keep me awake on the drive home,well Stephen stayed awake and Smitty crashed out.

Cheers Stewy

Tassie Devil! ( Shakes head in disgust!!!)- LOL!

:1tongue: I did try the flyrod but alas no action but I dont reckon it will be long before they are smashing taipies ticklers at night :glare:

Thanks guys good company and a good day Chris and i are so glad you got one fish the trip home would have been unbearable. :biggrin2: You were not wrong about the snake 1 meter from the water i craped my self, any way till the next time we hit the water thanks again cheers Stephen

Used to go to Pejar in the early nineties quite a bit and the lure that always seemed to work there was the smallest size ABU toby Might be worth a try Stewy

Andrew the fish just arent there or are off the bite.

We didnt see one fish rise all day from dark to first light till 11 am and in the early nineties I used to bag out there on flies at night and jensen insects.I think after the dam ran dry the fishing has definately suffered and hopefully it will be re-stocked with some quality fish.Another thing I noticed is the lack of weed beds and structure.....nothing what so ever.

I have every lure known to man including the tobys and the fish werent interested today.

Thanks for the tips though.

Cheers Stewy

Stewy,

theres nbeen a lot of talk thta Pejar has lost a lot of fish over the wall last year when the rains hit and the recruitment has been poor, apparently its not what it was in its heyday but hopfully it will bounce back lovely colouration on the bow there! All ready to do the buisness, what was the colour of the flesh like? Oh and launch the wolly bugger next time a black one does the buisnessin the shallows on the browns stand baclk at least a rod from the water and fish away brwowns come right in close in the dark!

Stewy,

theres nbeen a lot of talk thta Pejar has lost a lot of fish over the wall last year when the rains hit and the recruitment has been poor, apparently its not what it was in its heyday but hopfully it will bounce back lovely colouration on the bow there! All ready to do the buisness, what was the colour of the flesh like? Oh and launch the wolly bugger next time a black one does the buisnessin the shallows on the browns stand baclk at least a rod from the water and fish away brwowns come right in close in the dark!

The flesh was not the bright orange colour but a greyish colour when cooked and it tasted like shit :ranting2: I am so dissapointed I actually killed it.

That will be the last trout I ever kill and from now on happy snaps and off they go.

Regards Stewy

Nice work Stewy. I'll have to get you onto the rivers and streams for a fish one day

Regards Caddis

We did have a look below the dam wall but there was not enough water there.

Chris I am always up for a new challenge and I have never fished a river with flies so I would be in that for sure.

Just call me when you are going.

Cheers Stewy

Yeah reckon theyre a bit scarce Stewy not enough stocking yet or they have gone over the wall

I think there a few trout in there but not like they used to be and the dam is full atm and maybe when we had all that rain earlier they may have gone west.

Its a shame because its a great peice of water and I love fishing it....maybe the powers that be who read this might start to re-stock it again for future anglers.

Cheers Stewy

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this post Stewy, rumour is a few did go over the wall but in my opinion thats all it is, a rumour. A few close to the Dam will have but most will be there still. Been hitting Pejar a bit recently and been drawing blanks, but have seen fish. My bet is, the fish are still on the weedbeds that developed when the lake was at 40%, which are now well out of range. It will take a while for new weed beds to develop with the lake at 100%.

It is getting restocked this month too.

Windy

• 4 months later...

Just saw this post Stewy, rumour is a few did go over the wall but in my opinion thats all it is, a rumour. A few close to the Dam will have but most will be there still. Been hitting Pejar a bit recently and been drawing blanks, but have seen fish. My bet is, the fish are still on the weedbeds that developed when the lake was at 40%, which are now well out of range. It will take a while for new weed beds to develop with the lake at 100%.

It is getting restocked this month too.

Windy

firstly sorry for digging up an old post but i may be heading to pejar from some troutn soon,

i reckon your right with the weedbed theory mate, i hope your right lol,

anyway has anyone got any up to date report on conditions of the lake (structures weedbeds etc)

is it worth the drive?

wanna have another crack Stewy?

• 1 month later...

Hooked up & myself headed out to Pejar Dam on Australia day, with high hopes of some might Pejar action.

After several calls to the local Tackle World, with the Intel that there have been some good fish caught of late, we were very optimistic.

We arrived at the Dam before dawn, so were very excited to get a look at the place once it came light. (We've both never been to Pejar before)

The weather had forecasted slight winds for the day, how wrong that was.

Dawn broke, and we got a look at the place. Nice looking place, however the wind was howling, and proceeded to howl ALL DAY LONG!!!

We fished all day, predominately on the fly rod....Not a sausage.

We switched to the spin rods for a while....Not a touch.

We did not see a fish move all day long, nor did we see any insect life. Fair dues it was blowing a gust, but it just didn't feel right.

The only thing we saw was a Rakali (Australian water rat). Its not a member of the rat family, but a member of the otter type family.

We left thinking it would be worth a crack again, when the weather is nice and calm.

To sum up, to early to write the place off, having only fished it the once, but I'm hoping to try it again at some point, maybe next summer.

Edited by foolforjesus

Damn, I was really hoping to read a good report about Pejar.... :thumbdown::05:

Thats a shame, I hit it consistently before X-Mas and it was woeful. A couple of small 'bows and I talked to a chap who had amanaged few better 'bows but its been a real tough lake.

I am hoping with some consistent stocking that I will return to its former glory, in fact I am banking on it!

Give it time and Pejar will be great again with hopefully some of the monsters it was once famous for.

Was there any weed beds developing closer to shore yet?

Cheers

Windy

Damn, I was really hoping to read a good report about Pejar.... :thumbdown::05:

Thats a shame, I hit it consistently before X-Mas and it was woeful. A couple of small 'bows and I talked to a chap who had amanaged few better 'bows but its been a real tough lake.

I am hoping with some consistent stocking that I will return to its former glory, in fact I am banking on it!

Give it time and Pejar will be great again with hopefully some of the monsters it was once famous for.

Was there any weed beds developing closer to shore yet?

Cheers

Windy

There was some weed formed on the bottom in the shallow areas that we waded out in, but as we walked through it, it smelt pretty bad.

Not sure if that's coz its growing or what, but yeah the weed beds that I saw are not ready by a long shot.