A Question for the Deep

Hey all,

Does anyone use 80lb braid when targeting blue eye and gem fish? Whilst i believe 200lb is the the way to go, is 80lb ample enough for these deep ooglies?

Will i come across any problems if im to use 80lb braid? The reel im looking at getting is a Tanacom Bull or Seaborg 1000 (equivalent line capacity to a miya epoch 6HP yet almost half the price).

The next question is the line capacity. Is 800m sufficient for browns?

Any help is appreciated

Hey all,

Does anyone use 80lb braid when targeting blue eye and gem fish? Whilst i believe 200lb is the the way to go, is 80lb ample enough for these deep ooglies?

Will i come across any problems if im to use 80lb braid? The reel im looking at getting is a Tanacom Bull or Seaborg 1000 (equivalent line capacity to a miya epoch 6HP yet almost half the price).

The next question is the line capacity. Is 800m sufficient for browns?

Any help is appreciated

I use 100lb braid, with 200-250lb mono leader (long up to 20-30m) over 800ms is good some of my wider marks off browns have me dropping 750+m I tend not to go deeper than 800ms because of the drop and raise time, but it's nice to see line on the spool when you get to the bottom of your drop.

JUst remember unless your willing to spend a lot of money on braid you'll most likely end up using online shop braid which is thicker than "name" brands.

cheers

Gday mate,

I use the miya epoch 8 w 150lb braid.

I understand money is a factor but spend a little extra on the reel and then u know u r safe w at least 130lb braid e 1000m. From experience you can and do loose line and if u loose say 200-400 metres from ur 800m u have to respool again. Which sucks if u r out there and can't reach the bottom (been there done that).

So it's better to be safe than sorry w this type of fishing isy motto.

Tight lines

• 9 months later...

I use this exact same setup. Tanacom bull with 80lb braid. I got a 15kg Blue eye on the june long weekend. So seems to do fine for me. I Dont fish browns though. Im fishing Between 380 and 450 meters so line capacity is fine. When you hook up dont put the motor up to full speed, Go to about half way and just take your time ( or should i say sit back and have a coffee or three. )

Dave

• 3 months later...

G'day mate,

I fish a Miya epoch 8 and used to use 150lb no issues then I've spent a little extra and purchased the

Miya epoch matched braid 100lb i fit nearly 1100 metres and have never had a problem with downgrading the line.

80lb should be fine e those reels mate. Let us know how it goes