Mercury 150hp Optimax or 4 stroke?

onearmedfisho

Hi All, I currently own a Lewis 590 Walkaround which is fitted up with a Mercury 115hp Optimax outboard, but have found it is a little under powered.

Next year im thinking of upgrading to either a Mercury 150hp Optimax or a new Mercury 150hp 4 stroke which is yet to be released. Cant afford a Verado so was thinking this new 150hp EFI 4 stroke could be the answer?

I mainly live bait for Kings and fish for Jew and do a fair bit of trolling outside during winter. On a previous boat i had a 150hp Optimax and it was a top motor.

Im not sure weather to stick with the Opti of go to the new 4 stroke? I know the 4 strokes dont need oil etc etc but am just after your thoughts on what you would do in my situation?

In particular the pro's and cons of both the DFI 2 stroke and the EFI 4 stroke...

Any suggestions, thoughts or information would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Edited by beejay

Hi, you will get alot of info but as yet no one here in Oz would of even seen the new 150HP 4-Stroke from Merc so no-one will be able to offer real world experience. From what I have been told from the guys in the US I know-it is meant to be a good bit of gear. As for 4-Strokes not needing oil like you mentioned, that is not true and the crankcase oil needs to be changed along with a filter at 3 months then every 12 months whereas the OPTI you top off the oil tank. The pros for the OPTI will be lighter, proven design, will cost less to rig and I would think it will perform better especially low down when both are propped right. The cons are they, the V6 OPTI are not quiet and service with expensive plugs can add up. The new 150HP will be hard to commnet on one till I drive one, but it will be quieter I am sure of that because even though your I-3 OPTI is quiet, the V6 when compared to other clean engines are not what I call quiet.

If I was you I would go the OPTI if you can not wait 2-3 years to see how this new 150HP performs and proves itself in salt water and the V6 OPTI are very strong outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, you will get alot of info but as yet no one here in Oz would of even seen the new 150HP 4-Stroke from Merc so no-one will be able to offer real world experience. From what I have been told from the guys in the US I know-it is meant to be a good bit of gear. As for 4-Strokes not needing oil like you mentioned, that is not true and the crankcase oil needs to be changed along with a filter at 3 months then every 12 months whereas the OPTI you top off the oil tank. The pros for the OPTI will be lighter, proven design, will cost less to rig and I would think it will perform better especially low down when both are propped right. The cons are they, the V6 OPTI are not quiet and service with expensive plugs can add up. The new 150HP will be hard to commnet on one till I drive one, but it will be quieter I am sure of that because even though your I-3 OPTI is quiet, the V6 when compared to other clean engines are not what I call quiet.

If I was you I would go the OPTI if you can not wait 2-3 years to see how this new 150HP performs and proves itself in salt water and the V6 OPTI are very strong outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey...

Early days for me but I have 150 Optimax (now just 2 months old) on my new Stratos and it goes like the clappers....pushing our 50 MPH with no sweat at all...she starts first time, every time, trolls at really slow speeds too if required...my cousin has an e-tec and has a had a few drama's with it.

The only thing I've found with the opti is that at full noise the throttle are needs to be held down and springs back a little when let go but I'm not sure that's the opti's issue rather the handle throttle may require an adjustment.

But so far its all thumbs up from me... :thumbup::thumbup:

Early days for me but I have 150 Optimax (now just 2 months old) on my new Stratos and it goes like the clappers....pushing our 50 MPH with no sweat at all...she starts first time, every time, trolls at really slow speeds too if required...my cousin has an e-tec and has a had a few drama's with it.

The only thing I've found with the opti is that at full noise the throttle are needs to be held down and springs back a little when let go but I'm not sure that's the opti's issue rather the handle throttle may require an adjustment.

But so far its all thumbs up from me... :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Poddy! I think thats just what i needed to hear. Had a 2001 150hp Opti and it never missed a beat. Great motor. The power of a 2 stroke!!! I do a fair bit of slow trolling live squid/yakkas and had no complaints trolling with my current 115 so the 150 should should be fine... Its also good to go for a bit of a faster run at times and in that situation the Opti would be much more fun!

How bigs your Stratos?

Cheers

Beejay

Edited by beejay

• 3 months later...

mate i reckon you made the right choice and have only heard a+ reports from the states on these,im guessing your one of the first here in aus to have one hung so keep us up to date how shes going after breakin etc,AS A MERC 4STROKE efi owner myself i know you wont be dissipointed with your choice and when you said you do a bit of trolling i dont think in my opinion much else stacks up than a 4stroke efi cheers dunc333 :thumbup:

Thanks for posting and I too have heard good things about this new engine although only from test days etc, not real world owners so you would have to be not only one of the first in Oz, but in the world so keep us informed how she goes and post some pictures if you can. What are the speed difference compared to the 3 cylinder OPTI? Also fuel burn at the end of a normal days boating will be interested, if you know what the OPTI used to do.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for posting and I too have heard good things about this new engine although only from test days etc, not real world owners so you would have to be not only one of the first in Oz, but in the world so keep us informed how she goes and post some pictures if you can. What are the speed difference compared to the 3 cylinder OPTI? Also fuel burn at the end of a normal days boating will be interested, if you know what the OPTI used to do.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey, not too sure about fuel consumption but with the 115 Opti my boat would be flat out reaching 31-31 knots on dead glassy water. So far the new 150 4 stroke has taken me up to 44 knots and i think i may be able to squeeze out another couple... She revs out to about 4900 fully trimmed in and once trimmed out she goes to about 5300 RPM. Im running an 19 pitch Enertia 3 blade stainless prop.

Rgds'

One armed fisho :D

Edited by one armed fisho

Are you sure you are getting 44 knts at 5300 RPM? According to my calcs 19" prop at 5300=80kmh=44knts . What about some slipage say 10%? that would give you 40knts or 44 mph.

I run a 18" enertia in my boat 6.5 mt Trophy and 200 opti @5500 rpm I get about 42 knts , it works out 47.4 knts without slipage .

I use a 19" vensura (4 blade) as well, I get the same speed @5400 rpm and she uses 5% more fuel!!

Are you sure you are getting 44 knts at 5300 RPM? According to my calcs 19" prop at 5300=80kmh=44knts . What about some slipage say 10%? that would give you 40knts or 44 mph.

I run a 18" enertia in my boat 6.5 mt Trophy and 200 opti @5500 rpm I get about 42 knts , it works out 47.4 knts without slipage .

I use a 19" vensura (4 blade) as well, I get the same speed @5400 rpm and she uses 5% more fuel!!

Yeah mate, 44 knots according to the GPS which doesnt lie!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, this is a very interesting topic as I’m the process of re-powering our Trailcraft 6.1, currently running a 115 Mercury 4 stroke, we struggle to get 28 knots with 4 adults on board running a 16” vengeance.

The boat is booked in for assessment on Saturday for a 150 Mercury 4 stroke, the dealer has recommended a Revolution 4 prop, not sure as yet to the size (I’m thinking 15”). Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations on prop selection?

Cheers

Gary

Hey mate!

I am in a similar boat as you. Or was. I have a 140HP 2 stroke v6 saltwater series. My boat reaches 60MPH it. Nearly 100km/h! Love it! But at the same time I hate the motor, it's so noisy. So I was thinking of re-powering and getting the new 150 HP four stroke. But I don't want to get it if I won't have the torque or the top speed of my current motor! So please keep updating us, I really want to know more about it!

Hey mate!

I am in a similar boat as you. Or was. I have a 140HP 2 stroke v6 saltwater series. My boat reaches 60MPH it. Nearly 100km/h! Love it! But at the same time I hate the motor, it's so noisy. So I was thinking of re-powering and getting the new 150 HP four stroke. But I don't want to get it if I won't have the torque or the top speed of my current motor! So please keep updating us, I really want to know more about it!

Mate definately run with the new 150hp 4 stroke! Its an unreal piece of machinery. I am running a 19" Enertia and have no complaints. The amount of mid range grunt is unbelievable and as stated i have had it up to 44 knots whicxh is pretty quick on the water. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed!!! :thumbup:

Hi, good to hear you like your new 150HP 4-Stroke-I had a real close look at one the other day and somethings I did not like but overall it looked a good engine. Locodave, as for the performance I can will guarentee you on the same hull the 150HP will not be as quick or accerate as hard as a V6 Merc carby, but then again I do agree and the V6 Merc are noisey while the new 150HP 4-Stroke would be alot quieter so you have to choose what you prefer. I know a way of having performance, quiet running and acceleration all in one simple to own engineand if you have spent any time on here you will know waht I mean and if you are thinking of repowering you should consider and price one up comparing apples to apples-PM me if you are interested because with the strong dollar at present prices have never been better.

As for asking "what pitch prop should I use"-surely the selling dealer has enough experience to tell you what is the best prop and its pitch instead of you telling him and if not I would be worried. At least they should offer you a selection of props to try and then choose the best. Only this afternoon i water tested a new rig and tried with 3 different props to determine the best one. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey,

I have spoken to a couple of mercury dealers about this and no one has given me a definitive answer like you. The best answer I got was "you will be surprised".

Well how am I going to be surprised? Is it going to be less powerful or will it be better!! I just wish you could test drive outboards! So you don't think it will perform better? I don't think it would because of the displacement and being four cylinders as opposed to a bigger block and 6 cylinders!

Hey Huey,

I have spoken to a couple of mercury dealers about this and no one has given me a definitive answer like you. The best answer I got was "you will be surprised".

Well how am I going to be surprised? Is it going to be less powerful or will it be better!! I just wish you could test drive outboards! So you don't think it will perform better? I don't think it would because of the displacement and being four cylinders as opposed to a bigger block and 6 cylinders!

Hi, yes I agree and I am sure it is said alot but trust me I highly doubt any 150HP 4-Stroke (and the Merc seems to be the top of the pile at the moment) will have the straight out grunt to plane a boat like a V6 2.5L Carby Merc-which are not very clean, quiet or fuel efficient but they have some HP and torque-that same block as race engines put out over 280HP. Yes having 3L will help a 4-Stroke but the valve train robs HP, the engine does not have a power stroke per revolution so as for torque it would not be as much. t will be interesting if Merc do a tug of war, like another brand so famously did years ago to show that they have produced a 4-Stroke that can offer the boater the grunt that boats need. They could do this against the other brand or they could keep it in house and do it againsta V6 150HP OPTI.

I would think if you wanted to buy one and you are talking to Merc dealers they surely could take you for a spin in one. I know we have 150HP of the brand we prefer that people can try before they spend $17K on a new outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.