Shoalhaven river

benny boi

G'day raiders!!! Well i have spent the last two weekends fishing the shoalhaven river,mostly using plastics only because i fall into the trap of sticking to what works for me.But i have quite a few blades that dont see the water much so i was going to give them a swim fish or no fish lol.So one rod was set up with 6lb leader and a 1/4 ounce tt jig head for my plastics and the other with a small tt blade,and off i went.The first session produced a nice bag of flathead in 2.5 hours with plenty of throw backs and a couple of bust offs it was a hot session and im pleased to say the little blade did most of the damage :thumbup: The following sessions although bringing back some nice bags of fish werent quite as hot as the first one (had to work a bit harder for them) honestly this doesnt bother me as i really do just enjoy bieng out on the water (the wife still doesnt understand how i can love it so much) anyway although the little blades held there own i have to say the plastics produced most of the fish in these sessions with the gun lure being the zman minnow in new penny on a 1/4 ounce jig head (deadly).End result a freezer draw full of fillets mmmmmm beer battered flathead and one happy fisho :yahoo:

thanks

ben.

post-19229-046560400 1319669441_thumb.jpg

post-19229-077503200 1319669460_thumb.jpg

post-19229-022932800 1319669486_thumb.jpg

post-19229-087154500 1319669521_thumb.jpg

post-19229-091951200 1319669561_thumb.jpg

post-19229-028470100 1319669611_thumb.jpg

G'day Ben

Mmmm ... blades vs plastics?

Interesting question. (One I'm not qualified to answer)

However, one thing I do know, you were a winner. Out on the water in a beautiful area (Shoalhaven), a couple of great sessions, some good fish caught, and a freezer full of fillets!

Cheers

Peter

Fantastic catch.

Just wondering if you had any safety tips (and/or fishing tips) for a tourist. Heading to the caravan park for our annual family holiday and taking the boat. Hoping to do some fishing, but don't want to end up on the 6pm news for the wrong reasons. It looks like the river mouth is benign, or should i be weary at low tied going off shore? Also will try to take the kids to Nowra in the boat for a bit of fun... and fish the river for some flatties....

Ben,

What area of the shoalhaven where u fishing we were down there the other week and the water was still cold around 16.8 degrees. Top effort

Regards

Steve

Hey mate i did alot of running & gunning picking up a few here and there most of the fish were caught up near the mouth on the left hand side of the river up tight to the rock wall,and off the sand bar in the middle of the river. I dont worry to much about water temp mate i caught more fish through winter than i have been lately with the temp on the rise.Goodluck

Fantastic catch.

Just wondering if you had any safety tips (and/or fishing tips) for a tourist. Heading to the caravan park for our annual family holiday and taking the boat. Hoping to do some fishing, but don't want to end up on the 6pm news for the wrong reasons. It looks like the river mouth is benign, or should i be weary at low tied going off shore? Also will try to take the kids to Nowra in the boat for a bit of fun... and fish the river for some flatties....

Hey mate like a lot of bars it can be perfect one minute and a rough as guts the next.Best bet is check the sea reports (wind & swells) And you make the call going by your own boating experience.Ive heard a few story's of blokes coming unstuck.And i know from experience she can get pretty hairy at times.Its not as big as it looks mate there is a reef on the left heading out and a bit of a bommy on the right That fires up in rough seas.Just check weather reports before you head out and with a bit of common sense you will be fine.If it looks to rough on a particular day take the kids for a fish in the river.Goodluck

Mate,

I lost a jewie boatside ride at the wall there the other week. Just out from the channel marker in the hole there right at the top of the tide. I was spewing mate would have been my first. It was about 6kg and I was using a squished slick rig

Steve

Edited by bigslick

Hey mate like a lot of bars it can be perfect one minute and a rough as guts the next.Best bet is check the sea reports (wind & swells) And you make the call going by your own boating experience.Ive heard a few story's of blokes coming unstuck.And i know from experience she can get pretty hairy at times.Its not as big as it looks mate there is a reef on the left heading out and a bit of a bommy on the right That fires up in rough seas.Just check weather reports before you head out and with a bit of common sense you will be fine.If it looks to rough on a particular day take the kids for a fish in the river.Goodluck

Cheers, will let you know how we go when i get back