Brunswick Heads

andrew399

Im heading up to Brunswick Heads at the beginning of March next year for a few weeks and just have a few questions.

Firstly, I was up there a few weeks ago and the bar was flat as and didnt look too difficult at all. Was I just there on a lucky day? My boat is 4.5m quintrex lazeabout with a 50hp, generally speaking would I be able to get out most of the time or is the bar usually pretty cranky?

Secondly, getting there in March - will there still be mackeral around? Cobia? Kings? Snapper?

Where is the best places to get slimies, gars, squid and yakkas? On the reefs or are there bait grounds near the entrance?

If anyone has any gps marks they would be willing to PM me that would be great as I have never fished there before so will be pretty blind!

Thanks for any tips!

PS - I will also be fishing the brunsick river a fair bit for flatties etc so any tip on that would be appreciated but Im really hoping to be able to get into the offshore pelagics!

Im heading up to Brunswick Heads at the beginning of March next year for a few weeks and just have a few questions.

Firstly, I was up there a few weeks ago and the bar was flat as and didnt look too difficult at all. Was I just there on a lucky day? My boat is 4.5m quintrex lazeabout with a 50hp, generally speaking would I be able to get out most of the time or is the bar usually pretty cranky?

Secondly, getting there in March - will there still be mackeral around? Cobia? Kings? Snapper?

Where is the best places to get slimies, gars, squid and yakkas? On the reefs or are there bait grounds near the entrance?

If anyone has any gps marks they would be willing to PM me that would be great as I have never fished there before so will be pretty blind!

Thanks for any tips!

PS - I will also be fishing the brunsick river a fair bit for flatties etc so any tip on that would be appreciated but Im really hoping to be able to get into the offshore pelagics!

Hi mate, I was up there too earlier this month. The bar was raging when I was there and it is notorious from what people have told me...I actually fished the wall but didn't do too well...saw a guy land a school jew on the Nth wall.....it's an awesome place. The river looks great. I will go up there again sometime...

Here's the bar on the day I was there.... :)

post-449-039066000 1319793600_thumb.jpg

Yeah that is much rougher then what I saw, there werent really any breakers in the bar and it wasnt choppy. I guess Il just have to make sure I pick my days and tides right! Although even in your pic it looks a fair bit flatter on the far side (im assuming thats the north side?). The day I was up there there were a fair few small boats like mine going out, even a few tiller steers. Although I dont think it would be too big of a drama if you couldnt get out as the river it self looks awesome to fish for flatties, jew and mud crabs!

Yeah that is much rougher then what I saw, there werent really any breakers in the bar and it wasnt choppy. I guess Il just have to make sure I pick my days and tides right! Although even in your pic it looks a fair bit flatter on the far side (im assuming thats the north side?). The day I was up there there were a fair few small boats like mine going out, even a few tiller steers. Although I dont think it would be too big of a drama if you couldnt get out as the river it self looks awesome to fish for flatties, jew and mud crabs!

Yeah, the wind was really up when I was there, and unfortunately I couldn't fish the beaches, which was my aim when I was there...about 200m of whitewash...I spoke with the old salt at the local tackle shop and the river had lot's a salmon in there start of the month...the mouth of the rockwall would have to be a gun big jew spot in the right conditions....

G'day Dicko.

The Brunz bar is a very cranky bar. Many a local has come undone on it.

If you get the right day you will get out. Just make sure you avoid it on a runout & low tide. It's very shallow.

The river itself is a top spot. March is one of the best times to fish the area.

The north wall holds alot of jew at that time of year. The trick is to fish the beach side & not the river side. There is a reef that runs behind the back of the beach. Cast into the sand channel between the wall & the reef around the top of the tide & you will find jew.

Make sure you don't leave anything in your car when you park at Sth Golden Beach!

Drop me a p.m when you're heading up & if I've got time I'll show you around. It's only 30 mins from my place.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for hat mate, I will definitely let you know when I get up there. Thank for the tip about the car park also! Nothing I hate more than scumbags going through my stuff!

I'l only go out on good days anyway because I have a tendency to get sea sick! Il just be extra careful in picking the right ones. If any one has any marks for mackerel dont be scared to let me know!

Hi brunswick bar is great in a south swell and ok in a se swell anything from the east or north and you can be in trouble . I live in byron and i cross the bar alot but this bar is a nasty bar it has a very tight river mouth and a bommie on the nth seaction to keep you on your toes.Also plenty of surfers to get in the way.

If you have access to the internet go to coastal watch and type in bruswick heads and have a look . If you get up early and watch it live you can see the locals going out . Low tide is big no no with any swell.

Yes the macks will still be around when you come up in march plenty of cobia as well , some say its prime time in march.

Any Q s send me a pm and we can have a chat.

Thanks for that mate, I will hit you up with a PM closer to the date to get some more tips. Il be staying in Bangalow when I get up there so maybe could even meet up for a fish.

That's a summary of my trip last month Dicko, hanging with the inlaws at Bangalow (first trip, nice place), whilst driving over to Brunswick Heads / Byron every day I was up there.... :)