Single hook vs double hooks

Big can of worms here.

Every one has an opinion. I run singles as far back with the eye just inside the skirt semi still rig.

Lots use double as the stripies bash and flick lures all over the place and with doubles there is more chance of one sticking in. If there are YFt around then with doubles there is a higher chance of one sticking.

Lots depend on lure size and hook size also trace weight/ thickness. All impact on the lure action.

Have a look at Peter Pakulas site. Lots of very relevant info.

Then you get into hook size, shape, ss or not, open gape or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I fish singles. My reasons are varied;

safety-a free swinging hook with a marlin thrashing around could pin the decky when removing the other hook

setting the hook-takes less pressure to set one hook rather than 2

fishes well being-if a fish was to bust me off it could end up with one hook in its lower jaw and one in its top pinning its mouth shut and making it unable to feed.

cost-i have far too many lures and adding an extra hook to all of them would send me broke.

G'day

I have recently tried a mix. On reef magic last year we got a nice blue to the boat with the second hook straight through the eye...has changed my thinking a bit and if it happens again I'll be replacing all lures with single.

Although, on the other hand, I did read an article in a book or mag lately, that recommended double hook rigs (even on small 6 inch skirts) for blacks due to their habbit of slashing at lures.

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

• 4 months later...

I read an article once where they had put a lot of thorough research into the subject and concluded that singles are the best, but that they sould be stiff and not free swinging in relation to the line. Also when sharpening much of the barb should be filed away, the reasoning being a smaller barb requires much less pressure to penetrate.