Carp Fishing in Sydney's South-West

GABBA

Hi there, i am new to these forums, so apologies if this is not the right section to post in. I have done some reading on this forum and was reading various threads on where to find Carp in Sydney. I have heard that Chipping Norton has some lakes that might have a bit of Carp in them, and that Cabramatta Creek has/had some (the person who suggested Cabramatta Creek, said they checked it five years ago, so things may have changed since). So anyway, my question is, does anyone know of any areas in the South-West of Sydney that I may be able to fish for some Carp?

I have heard that Carp are a decent fish to catch, they will put up a bit of a fight, which is all I am looking for, and that they are plentiful, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some?

Although I have been fishing since I was a kid, I consider myself "new" and a "beginner", so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there, i am new to these forums, so apologies if this is not the right section to post in. I have done some reading on this forum and was reading various threads on where to find Carp in Sydney. I have heard that Chipping Norton has some lakes that might have a bit of Carp in them, and that Cabramatta Creek has/had some (the person who suggested Cabramatta Creek, said they checked it five years ago, so things may have changed since). So anyway, my question is, does anyone know of any areas in the South-West of Sydney that I may be able to fish for some Carp?

I have heard that Carp are a decent fish to catch, they will put up a bit of a fight, which is all I am looking for, and that they are plentiful, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some?

Although I have been fishing since I was a kid, I consider myself "new" and a "beginner", so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

hi Gabba wlecome to fish raider!

growing up in the western suburbs of sydney, i was was limited to what i could target close to home. i started fishing for carp when i was 10 due to the fact that they were readily assessable in my local park. I am now 20 with my own boat a and i still enjoy a good old carp bash down at the park!

TACKLE

carp tackle is quite cheap and easy to put together i prefer a rod between 6ft-7ft in length in the 2-4 kg line class, a 1000-2500 sized reel, loaded up 4-6 lb line mono or braid doesn't quite matter and 6-10lb fluorocarbon leader.

RIGS

when fishing for carp i try to use the smallest hooks possible preferably a size 6-8 suicide hook. when fishing in lakes and other places with little to no current i prefer to use a rig consisting of 1.5 m of trace attached strait to your hook. i use a double uni not to attach my leader to my main line. when fishing in current i use the same rig but with a float attached 1m above the hook, very rarely do i use sinkers when fishing for carp.

BAIT

while baits such as corn kernels, worms and dough willy catch carp, personally in local park lakes yo cant beat god old bread ! so many people go down to their local lake and feed the ducks with their stale bread unknowingly feeding the the car too! i find the best way to fish it is unweighted on the surface mimicking a bit of stale bread some one fed to the ducks. chuck in a few extra bits for burley and you should have some carp have a look at it pretty soon.

LOCATIONS

majority of local park lakes, creeks and rivers in western sydney should hold carp. They haven't been declared a pest for nothing! as long as your burley up you should see a few come up. Remember never to put them back and have fun

hope that helped mate :thumbup:

post-14790-045719900 1320236609_thumb.jpg

Hey mate there are heaps in Parramatta river up where Parra park is, not really in the south west but i can guarantee they are there. I usually fish there once a week using corn ( has to be edgell super sweet ) or a dough mix is working really well at the moment with mulberries, maple syrup, flour, corn flour brown sugar and tinned corn juice to get the consistency right. I've caught and released heaps around the 70-80cm mark so i know they are there.

Ben

Hey guys,

Firt post as i am new to this site also, i live around guildford and am close enough to parramatta and chipping norton, where abouts in parra would you fish for carp? and what do you do with them after catching them since you are not to throw it back into the water?

Thanks

If you can get access to any golf courses in the south west area, you'll find heaps of carp plus a chance of some monster eels and 3kg+ mullet if you're lucky. There's very Little competition for the fish but you'll need to be wary of wayward golf balls!

Kaijack

I usually fish around the back of Parra leagues club. You ARE allowed to throw them back if you don't want to kill them anyone who says otherwise is full of carp, as far as i'm concerned recreational fishing makes bugger all difference to their numbers it's like thinking killing a couple of cane toads will wipe them out.

Ben

I usually fish around the back of Parra leagues club. You ARE allowed to throw them back if you don't want to kill them anyone who says otherwise is full of carp, as far as i'm concerned recreational fishing makes bugger all difference to their numbers it's like thinking killing a couple of cane toads will wipe them out.

Ben

I reckon it would make a difference. Every one you kill thats a female prevents another 200+ jouvenile carp making it into the system, if each one of those 200 were to spawn that balloons the figure even further.

Ok if i tack on to this topic and ask same question about bout where to catch carp, but up round the Gosford, Wyong, Central Coast area

And another (maybe stupid question): corn kernels used for bait, take it that is cooked corn and not raw corn, and noticed someone said edgell's super sweet was good. Is that baited up straight from the can ??

kp

Hey mate there are heaps in Parramatta river up where Parra park is, not really in the south west but i can guarantee they are there. I usually fish there once a week using corn ( has to be edgell super sweet ) or a dough mix is working really well at the moment with mulberries, maple syrup, flour, corn flour brown sugar and tinned corn juice to get the consistency right. I've caught and released heaps around the 70-80cm mark so i know they are there.

Ben

Hey Ben can you take me with you mate?

I always try catch them at nepean and epicly fail

And when i use edgell corn i eat all of it before it hits the water in true noob style.

Ben

LOL "is full of carp"

Never return carp back into the waterways...worst then rats and mice!!

Plently carp at the top weir and middle in the parramatta. Just above the wharf

If you want to look abit north... Norwest business park has a man made pond... I got them to 7kg on beard.

Glenwood park in the middle of the nice houses... heaps in there.

Chipo lakes has a few.. but I think Chipo is to big... thats very hard to spot and find.

IMO dont fish the lake rivers... stick to the smaller ponds.. and fish it after a heavy rain dump where rain water is dipping in the pond... worms and bugs gets washed in

Bread is good and chicken fillets to make a longer cast..... try not to use sink... and fish very late arvos.

Thanks for all the information. After reading fishbois post I'd say that my rod is capable of catching carp, almost sounds like it is suited for carp.

After reading this and other posts some ideas might be:

Parramatta (Behind the RSL as advised)

Cabramatta Creek

Toongabbie Creek

Lake Garriwarna

Can anyone think of any parks around Fairfield, Smithfield, etc areas with Carp-filled lakes?

Thanks.

Ben

Ben you are incorrect my friend and this from the fisheries website

Help stop the spread of feral fish!

Members of the public, including fishers, divers and members of local environmental groups are often the first to discover a new introduced exotic fish in the wild or the fact that an existing pest has spread into a new area. This information can be very valuable in helping to manage pest problems.

You can protect our waterways and native fish by helping to stop the introduction and spread of feral fish into new areas.

For recreational fishers:

• Don’t transfer fish between waterways – and don’t use live fish as bait in freshwater (it’s illegal!)
  • Obtain a permit to stock fish – and buy fingerlings from a registered hatchery to minimise the chances of contamination with undesirable species.
  • Don’t return pest fish to the water – if you catch a pest fish, kill it humanely and dispose of it appropriately away from the water.
  • Prevent unwanted hitchhikers – check, clean and dry boats, equipment and fishing gear between waterways.

Make sure that you do not put the carp back as they are a pest which will take our native fish stocks out of the habitat.

Admin

Thanks.

Evening.

Go on to Youtube and see how the poms fish with bread for Carp.It will open your eyes on bread fishing.

Ben you are incorrect my friend and this from the fisheries website

Help stop the spread of feral fish!

Members of the public, including fishers, divers and members of local environmental groups are often the first to discover a new introduced exotic fish in the wild or the fact that an existing pest has spread into a new area. This information can be very valuable in helping to manage pest problems.

You can protect our waterways and native fish by helping to stop the introduction and spread of feral fish into new areas.

For recreational fishers:

• Don’t transfer fish between waterways – and don’t use live fish as bait in freshwater (it’s illegal!)
  • Obtain a permit to stock fish – and buy fingerlings from a registered hatchery to minimise the chances of contamination with undesirable species.
  • Don’t return pest fish to the water – if you catch a pest fish, kill it humanely and dispose of it appropriately away from the water.
  • Prevent unwanted hitchhikers – check, clean and dry boats, equipment and fishing gear between waterways.

Make sure that you do not put the carp back as they are a pest which will take our native fish stocks out of the habitat.

Admin

Well i'd hate to prove Admin wrong :074: but according to the DPI website it is NOT illegal, I suggest you look into it a bit more as there is already enough misinformation posted on the internet....

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/carp/groups/recreational-fishers

Is it illegal to return carp to the water?

It is not currently illegal to immediately return captured carp to the waters from which they were taken (defence under section 216 of the Fisheries Management Act). However, carp are a noxious fish in NSW and Industry & Investment NSW encourages recreational fishers to retain and utilise any captured carp rather than returning them live to the water.

Edited by bump73

Well i'd hate to prove Admin wrong :074: but according to the DPI website it is NOT illegal, I suggest you look into it a bit more as there is already enough misinformation posted on the internet....

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...ational-fishers

Is it illegal to return carp to the water?

It is not currently illegal to immediately return captured carp to the waters from which they were taken (defence under section 216 of the Fisheries Management Act). However, carp are a noxious fish in NSW and Industry & Investment NSW encourages recreational fishers to retain and utilise any captured carp rather than returning them live to the water.

I never said it was illegal to do so Ben and if you are even remotely intersted in keeping our waterways for native fish you would do what is right and dispose of this noxious fish humanely.

And you will be a long time dead before you prove Admin anything but helpful on any subject.

Admin

I never said it was illegal to do so Ben and if you are even remotely intersted in keeping our waterways for native fish you would do what is right and dispose of this noxious fish humanely.

And you will be a long time dead before you prove Admin anything but helpful on any subject.

Admin

Sorry, I assumed when you said I was "incorrect" I assumed you were referring to me pointing out that it's not illegal?

Personally I think the only thing that is going to come close to getting rid of carp will be a scientific solution. like this... http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2011/10/07/390591_national-news.html

I know when they drained a section of Parra river to do some work on the weirs they removed 2 tonne of carp, that was about 8-10 years ago and that hasn't done anything to control the numbers so thinking that removing a couple here and there will make any difference to their numbers at all is wishful at best. Perhaps in a closed waterway like a dam you could have a chance at getting rid of them but in a system like Parramatta River a different approach needs to be taken, like the one in the link above..

Ben

Ive tangled with some monstrous carp in the upper nepean, corn kernel burley with a bit of small floating bread pieces then unweighted corn kernels on small hook wrapped in bread some of the surface boils are huge when they are in the mood.IT really helps if the area is really quiet as well.Some of the local carp fishos all rave about the Parra river as mentioned above.

Are you allowed to fish in a golf course? i would have thought that you woud not be able to get in and it would be weird to see someone fishing there.

I had permission from the greenskeepers and usually fished after golfing hours. The fish were more active then anyway. I used a small homemade, unweighted float with a glow stick on top. Then a 10 pound trace with single size 10 blackfish hook. 2kg main line. Plain white bread squeezed onto the hook for bait. Burley intermittently with small flattened balls of bread about the size of peas.

It was over 15 years ago but fun times indeed.

Good luck.

Kaijack

Ben

i thought it was illegal to release carp

they are a bloody pest

catch kill bury

Gday fellas,

Heaps of carp in the Camden/Narellan/Campbelltown area. The council have been having fishing comps in all the local parkland lakes for carp and eel and I believe there have been some monsters pulled in.

I know for a fact there are heaps of carp and eel in:

Harrington Park lake

Mount Annan lake

Nepean river at Camden

Never fished for them in Australia but caught a few in the UK.